Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Gastric Sleeve Surgery "cure" diabetes?

How has the VSG affected your diabetes  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How has the VSG affected your diabetes

• No diabetes pre-surgery
    • Diabetes pre-surgery with pills, no changes
    • Diabetes pre-surgery with pills, reduced script
    • Diabetes pre-surgery with pills, eliminated script
    • Diabetes pre-surgery with insulin, no changes
    • Diabetes pre-surgery with insulin, reduced script
    • Diabetes pre-surgery with insulin, eliminated script

Most of these posts have been very encouraging to me...I am praying that VSG will at least help me keep my type 2 diabetes under control...currently, I am having a difficult time controlling it, and my last a1c was around 11 :o having been a diabetic for over 10 years now, I am starting to experience some serious complications, and it's scary--so scary that I have decided to proceed with WLS (even though that also frightens me terribly)...thanks for the words of encouragement, even though I realize some of these posts are over 2 years old...I would appreciate updates from anybody or new feedback...best to all :)

I had VSG almost 2 years ago, 7/19/11. I lost 60 lbs. quickly in the beginning but have since plateaued. I still have 25 lbs. to lose and just can't get the scale to move anymore! I was able to eliminate my medication (pills) in the beginning, but recently have had my sugars spike again, so I'm back on my medicine. I was hopeful that the surgery would help me eliminate it for good. I am VERY careful about what I eat (limiting carbs-etc.) I am thrilled for those who are "cured"-wish I'd have had the same results. Back to Day 1 liquids - just got to get the rest of my weight off!

Mercyanew, I was also hopeful that my type 2 diabetes would go into remission after surgery, but I am a month out and it doesn't appear that I am "cured"...the first 4 weeks post-surgery I was on no meds at all...my dr said that if I could keep my glucose levels around 150 average, I could stay off any meds...well, the lowest I could consistently get my levels to was around 150, but a lot of times during the day I was more like 170 or 180...so today I started taking one Metformin in the morning and will see how that works before I increase to one both morning and evening...I am trying to focus on at least having the possibility of decreasing the meds I used to take...pre-surgery I was on 2 Metformin twice a day plus 40 units of Lantus insulin nightly (and even on that medicine regimen, I was still having a1c levels over 9)

I am type 2. I have always kept it well controlled with metformin. My last a1c before surgery was 5.7. That said, I have not taken metformin since surgery (3 weeks) and have not had a reading over 90 mg/dl (5 mmol/l). Most readings have been around 86-87 and it is trending downward. Even in the hospital it was already this low. I can't predict the future, but for now this is great.

Typically, studies have shown that WLS doesn't permanently "cure" diabetes. Once the pancreas has become damaged and no longer can produce the proper amounts of insulin, it will never regenerate back the the pre-diabetic levels. This does not mean that diabetes cannot be controlled through diet and exercise and with significant weight loss. I don't think that WLS, even RNY, is the cure that people seek however. I was on 2000mg of Metformin, and 100mg Actos and at 6 months I am down to 500mg of Metformin alone. My plan is to hit my goal weight and get off the drugs, but I know at some point, I will always need to have something that will help me control the sugar. At surgery my A1C was 7, now it is 5.6 and at 5.3 you are no longer classified as a diabetic.

When I was on pre op diet for band I was falling asleep at work. My a1c had been 5.2-5.4 for a while- I called the doctor and suggested to her that maybe I needed to get off my pills after she suggested I get more sleep. She agreed and my a1c is around 6.2 now but as long as it stays below 7 they consider me a diet controlled diabetic. I'm hoping with the sleeve that number of 6.2 will improve:). I'm 3 weeks post op and just getting my first blood work this week-keeping my fingers crossed:)

Yes it happened-at 4 weeks post op a1c is 5.2 with no meds cholesterol is 188(couldn't take medicine) and no blood pressure medicine:)

Before sleeve surgery (July23, 2013) I took 1000 mg of Metformin 2x a day, Amaryl 5mg 2x a day and Byetta injections 10mcg 2x a day. Since surgery, I am completely off of ALL my diabetic meds. I do not regret having the surgery one bit. Best of luck to all you considering the surgery!!!

I'm a type one and insulin resistant and now control my diabetes with my eating and exercise and rarely take insulin. So yes' date=' although I'm type one, I feel healed.[/quote']

I don't understand this. Type 1 diabetics are not capable of making insulin because they don't have islet cells in their pancreas. That is why type 1 is also called "insulin dependent." Without insulin you will die if you have type 1 diabetes. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease and has nothing to do with your weight or what you eat.

I don't understand this. Type 1 diabetics are not capable of making insulin because they don't have islet cells in their pancreas. That is why type 1 is also called "insulin dependent." Without insulin you will die if you have type 1 diabetes. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease and has nothing to do with your weight or what you eat.

I know what it means to be type one, I've had diabetes for 17 years, insulin resistant and all, I have controlled and managed my diabetes with 0 to no insulin since my sleeve. Even my own pcp told me I've practically cured myself. Even if I need insulin, it's a few units every couple days to week. My a1c is great! And I'm happy woth my sleeve and success.

There are a lot of doctors who will label a patient as Type I diabetes if the patient requires insulin to control their blood sugars. Being insulin resistant & requiring insulin does not make you Type 1. As mistysj said, Type I diabetics do not make any insulin of their own. Unless they have a pancreas transplant, they never will. It is possible for someone with Type II diabetes to convert to Type I but not the other way around. I remember from the days that I worked as a clinical review nurse that there is a test that can determine if a patient has Type I or Type II diabetes. The criteria for an insulin pump has changed somewhat, but I was able to find the information on the web site for the insurance company I used to work for. It states "to qualify for a pump the member also has to have NO detectable endogenous insulin production (undetectable C-peptide levels. This is measured by taking a fasting C-peptide level (at a time when the blood glucose is over 200mg/dl)."

I have more knowledge of this than the average person. Not only am I a nurse, although never a diabetes educator, I have had Type II diabetes for over 20 years & have required increasing amounts of insulin over that time for increasing insulin resistance. But, since I started this WLS journey in April & have lost over 50 pounds, my insulin needs are much less & my blood sugars are greatly improved.

I was taking metformin twice daily and lantis insulin at night. I am now off the metformin and reducing the lantis. I am six weeks post sleeve.

There should be an option on the poll something to the effect of:

Diabetes pre-surgery but totally controlled by a low carb diet and exercise, and still totally controlled post-surgery by a low carb diet.

5 months post-op and still have normal blood glucose numbers with no medication. I was type 2 diet and metformin controlled. To reiterate, type 1 is auto-immune and can't be "cured." Type 2 outcome depends on how much of the problem was insulin resistance and how work out the pancreas was.