Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kicking my PPI - Day 7...

O.K., encouraged by all the comments about stopping the PPI's, guess its time for me also. Good for you all stopping and continued good tummy vibes.

I am having more heartburn today.I took some gavescon, as Dr. Aceves recommended. I hope this only goes on another week. That is what he thought.

My stomach makes tons of noise all the time, it is not growling more of a gurgle. Maybe I should take Prilosec, and see if it will make me feel full. My worst problem is that I can eat too much, which means that sometimes I do. I don't think there is a cure for that!

Edited by FabBy50

How many of you took an acid reducer or PPI prior to the sleeve? I am curious because I take a prevacid once a day now (pre-sleeve) and I am wondering if I am going to need to take it twice a day after. Should I try and wean myself off prior to surgery?

How many of you took an acid reducer or PPI prior to the sleeve? I am curious because I take a prevacid once a day now (pre-sleeve) and I am wondering if I am going to need to take it twice a day after. Should I try and wean myself off prior to surgery?

I took neither beforehand. I would occasionally eat a Tums, but pretty rarely. Only when I ate those heartburn foods. :thumbup:

Hello again,

So, here it is day 13 of the PPI withdrawal saga. So far, so good. Had a couple of pretty rough days - around days 8 and 9 where I had two Zantacs - only two cuz I didn't want to take more than that - and 6 or 8 Gaviscon cherry chewables (thank God they are carb free!) I made it ok and things were just very uncomfortable as opposed to painful. food helped but not much and not for long. I CANNOT drink coffee at any other time than the morning or I pay dearly, at least for now, and I am grateful that my stomach allows me my half-caff in the morning! I think one of those two brutal days was attributed to Starbucks... ;) The last few days I have taken one Zantac and only a couple of the Gaviscon tabs. So far, really and truly so good, I think I'm almost past the worst of it. I do believe that the PPI's aren't totally out of our systems for a couple of weeks or so, so I may not be totally out of the woods just yet. FWIW, cheese sticks, or any hunk of mild cheese, is the one food item that soothes my stomach like nothing else when it starts acting up.

So, next will go the Zantac; I plan to start cutting back the dosage but not for another couple of weeks. I want to get off all of it sooner than later.

Tiff, you can do it; compared to what you've been through, this really will be nothing. A couple of weeks of not-so-bad discomfort should be a breeze for you, tough lady!

By the way, I'll be four months out on Tuesday! Where did the time go?? I've been fluttering around 70 pounds lost for the last few days but not stressing really at all. My body thinks it's cute to go into baby stall mode at every 10 pounds! Hahahahaha, very funny body!!!! :thumbup: Happened at 50, 60 and now 70. Might have happened earlier but I hadn't really noticed till these last three "decades".

So, that's where I'm at. You guys all rock, I love reading your posts and wish I had more time to write!

C

I have a $4.00 coupon for Prevacid that expires 6/26/2010. If someone wants it just respond on here so everyone knows it is gone and send me your address in a private message and I will put it in the mail the next day.

I have been off about 10 days now. I am excited that the heartburn is so much better. I haven't had to take any gavescon

or prilosec. Prilosec is what Dr. Aceves told me to take every other day. I don't think I am going to need to do that. I seem to be adjusting just fine.

Edited by Oregondaisy

Well I am heading into my 5th day and it is getting somewhat rougher. Each day I notice the small burning/ sloshing at the top of my stomach that I am trying to ignore. It is worse in the late evening when I go to bed so will take Zantac at bedtime, mostly o.k. during the day. Nothing I can't handle now, will see as time goes on. I am drinking small glass of soy milk which helps. I don't want to start an issue with reflux that will hurt my esophagus so must do this right.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a ppi? Thanks!

PPI is a proton pump inhibitor. It prevents acid from being produced in the stomach, and is used to treat and prevent acid reflux. Nexium, Protonix, Prevacid, Prilosec are the most common it seems.

I'm not going to even taper off from 40 mg to 20 mg until 6 months or so. After a year, I may try removing it entirely, but if I have to take 20 mg omeprazole for life, that's a tiny, tiny price to pay to not have to worry about esophageal erosion, Barrett's esophagus, gastric ulcers, duodenal ulcers, and the overall misery of reflux.

Yes, I know there can be some problems with Calcium and long-term PPI use. My doctor advised me about that. That's why I take a Calcium supplement. Yes, I know that there's a drastic reduction in intrinsic factor post-surgery, limiting B12 absorption -- that's why I take a sublingual B12 every day.

But to me, in my book, reflux and the associated dangers of acid overproduction are worse than simply having to take one tiny acid blocker every day. I may try switching to an as-needed antacid in a year or more if my reflux gets under control. But honestly? The risks are small, and I don't want to mess with success. The acid blocker doesn't make me "unhealthy" because I need to take it, any more than the Multivitamins I take do. It's just one of the changes that are necessary after the sleeve. On the grand scale of things, obesity and constant reflux are still FAR more dangerous than a slight chance of bone loss, and it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I guess I should wrap this up. I would like to encourage people, before they go tampering with meds that their doctors have prescribed all willy-nilly, to talk to their doctors about the risks and benefits, and get their doctors' recommendation about what to do.

I don't think Prilosec is a PPI. I just looked at the box. It's an acid reducer, not an acid blocker like Protonix.

I don't know about anyone else but my doctor is aware of this issue and I am well aware of the pros and cons, not any willy nilly here.