Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

has anyone had ANY problems with their sleeve?

My wife had the sleeve done 2 weeks ago. She is still in the hospital, and while I dont know all of the details, as I am in Iraq, she doesnt sound like she is doing too great.

She had to go in for a 2nd surgery the following day because she was leaking from the staples. So, they cut her open and fixed that problem. But its 2 weeks and she still cant eat anything. They have inserted a sucking tube so that she isnt constantly vomitting and they have given her a feeding IV (I'm told).

They did some kind of scope down her throat and the Dr told her that she cant eat anything because of some muscle that attaches the stomach to the small intestine. Its some kind of spasm that makes whatever she has drank, come right back up!???

Is all of this normal? What to do? It doesnt seem like to Dr is doing anything at this point, other than telling her that time will help???

Dear worried husband,

I'm sorry that your wife is going through this and that you are deployed and can't be there for her! I haven't been sleeved yet, so I don't have any advise to put your mind at ease. I do live in Killeen & my hubby is in the Army too! I am working on getting my sleeve done at Darnall and after hearing about your wife that makes me nervous. Do you know the name of her surgeon? If there is anything I can do to help I would be glad to do it! Please let me know. Hopefully the Dr. is right & in time she will heal. I will pray for her to have a full, and speedy recovery! And I'm serious about helping, even if she just wants someone to come & keep her company I can do it! Keep us updated on how she's doing & take care!

I was sleeved in May of this year. The problems your wife is experiencing are unfortunate. I have read of others having similar issues. As long as she has a good Dr. they will figure all of it out. It takes time and patients. I will say a prayer for you and your wife that she will get thru all of this and there will be a positive outcome.

Hi there, I had a leak while my husband was deployed as well. The recovery is extensive, but I made a full recovery.

I was in the hospital an extra week, and then sent home with a picc line in my arm that fed me TPN Fluid for nutrients and medications. That lasted a couple of weeks, and then I went on the clear liquid diet then progressed unto the other stages.

I know it is scary, and frustrating when you are not getting a lot of information.

Right now they are trying to make sure the staple line holds, and doesn't leak anymore.

I don't know the specifics on how they repaired her leak, and you might not have that information either. But, hang in there, and know that they are doing everything they can to get her to a full recovery.

If you have specific questions, please message me.

Thank you for all of the info and words of encouragement. I know that God works in mysterious ways! So all of the prayers can do nothing but help.

Meriteri:

She also had the surgery at Darnell. I dont know what her Doctors name was, however, this was his 1st sleeve that he did. I dont know if that plays into anything, but at the time all of the Docs were coming out of med school and all of the old ones were PCSing. I dont know, but I guess that someone has to be the Doctors first patient!

I have read alot of different post on here and was able to talk to her yesterday, for only a few minutes. The put her on Valium yesterday, so she was kinda out of it. Hopefully that will help to control the spasms that she is having. I asked her about Reglan to control the nausea, she informed me that she was already on that too.

I told her about Prevacid Solutabs. They hadnt used that one yet.

All I can do it pray. At least it looks like the Docs are using the same procedures and meds that alot of other patients have had. So, hopefully, in time, all of this will pass and she will be up and at it again.

Thank for all the great posts!

Just a thought, where i'm from, careful surgeons won't do band-to-sleeve in the same operation. They remove the band then wait about 3 months for the stomach tissue to heal before they will attempt the sleeve. I guess they find that reduces the complication rate.

I do know a lot of surgeons elsewhere do the both in one surgery - i guess they have to weigh the risks of a leak against the risks of 2 anesthetics.

I went from a band to a sleeve the same day. I was very fortunate and blessed that I have had no complications. The 2 yrs. prior to converting was a nightmare with the band though. Was skeptical going in, but all has gone well. Anyone I know that has had a sleeve with complication did get well and overcome. Just takes a little while to jump the hurdles and heal.