Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I have been reading your forums for the last few days. A friend of mine is having GB and then I recently spoke with a friend 1 year out. I have always shyed away from any weight loss surgery for fear of death or major complications however I'm so tired of dieting and avoiding the mirror.

I'm 31 with two small boys ages 5 and 2. I have no health complications from my weight...yet. I know they will come as I have been very overweight since I was in the 2nd grade. I remember hitting 198 in the 8th grade and I was mortified. I'm at 268 with my highest weight being 282. I've done about every diet on earth, some twice. I've only lost significant weight with Dr. Phil's 7 keys to weight loss freedom. I lost 40lbs and I've kept 14 lbs after the birth of two kids. I know, no matter what diet I loose on I am going to gain the weight back. I'm just tired of it all.

I haven't found a whole lot of data on VSG, do you have any links that helped you decide?

Do you know any Drs in East TN that perform this surgery and if not did you feel okay to travel home after the surgery?

How are pregnancies with the surgery? I have 2 and one of them is still nursing. I may want another in the future and would nurse him/her as well.

Thanks for your input and answering my questions. :)

Gastric bypass really scares me and wasn't necessary for the amount of weight I wanted/needed to lose. I have a former SIL who had bypass surgery years ago and seems to be ok. I don't talk to her very much but saw her two weeks ago and she looks healthy, altho everyone is different. The major remodeling inside during the surgery seems drastic tho.

There are people around here who have lost lots of weight with the sleeve and few seem to have complications during/after surgery or post-op. For me, it has been a very good experience. Wanting food is still a challenge but other than that, all is good : )

I had never even heard of VSG until last December/January. There are a few hospitals/clinics where I live that do the surgery, however my insurance would have been a pain in the butt. I met a gal thru work who had the surgery a year ago in Mexico, and being able to talk to her face to face was very encouraging. She used a different clinic than I did. She went from 280 lbs to 145 in one year. From a size 22 to a 6/8. Amazing! She is very loyal to her eliptical : )

I have had several surgeries and was comfortable how I would feel after surgery, so traveling out of the country was fine. My husband stayed home with our daughter; would like to have had him there, but it was actually easier for me not having to worry about the dd getting to her sports, etc on time - and I didn't have to worry about the dh being bored while I was sleeping after surgery! lol

I personally think the sleeve is the better choice of the three (bypass, sleeve, band). It is a very personal decision tho - read as much as you can, try to find people locally who have had the surgey and used the drs/clinics, and then decide what is best for you. Be cautious of those you tell ahead of time - family and friends. They could have a wide range of uneducated opinions and cause you alot of stress.

good luck!

Hello & welcome. I hope you find all the answers you are looking for here. I'll share my story & how I decided VSG was for me.

I was 28 years old with 4 kids when I decided I had enough & began to pursue WLS. I had been contemplating WLS for several years, but after the birth of my last baby I decided it was time. I am 5'4 and "only" weighed 201 lbs so I could not get insurance approval. I had hypertension that was not well controlled with meds. I was facing taking several different meds to control my bp. I also suffered from severe edema due to the hbp. I was on a diuretic to help that, but it didn't work great.

I thought I wanted LapBand...after all I am young & didn't want anything too drastic. Well, after research & hearing from some very well educated WLS patients, I decided that VSG was a better fit for my life. So then I had to find a surgeon. Since I was self pay, I had the luxury of going to any surgeon I wanted to go to! I called & talked to several local surgeons & several non-local surgeons. I finally decided to go with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, MX. I, myself, was shocked that I would even consider going to MX for surgery. But it was the best decision I ever made for myself!

As I said earlier, I am 5'4 and my day of surgery weight was 201. My highest weight was 211 (a few months after the birth of my last baby...I managed to lose 10lbs on my own but that was it). Today I weighed in at 122 lbs. I stay between 122-125 on any given day. I went from an 18/20, XXL to a 4/6, XS-S. I find myself shopping in the junior's dept b/c the misses clothing doesn't fit my body well anymore. This surgery changed mylife. I am forever grateful that I had the opportunity to have my VSG.

Tiffykins has the best rearch on this for you. PM her, and I am sure she will send it to you. Or, you can do search on this website.

Thank you for your replies :001_wub: I have been reading this site almost nonstop since I found it. Something just feels right about it. I told my Mom last night I was considering the surgery and she started with, "OH no! You are going to die!" I told her I won't share with her if she doesn't have anything educated to say about it. I know that's harsh and I love my Mother but all her years of "Oh you would be so pretty if you lost some weight." and then to just start in before I had the chance to say anything. Anyhow I'll probably appoligize anyway :blushing: Since then we have been honestly talking about it. Infact, she said she wished there was a way she could help me pay for it.

Speaking of payment I contacted my insurance this morning (UHC) and they said my spefic plan does NOT cover this surgery. The woman I spoke with encouraged me to get my Dr and myself to write in appeal letters. I'm not sure how easy that will be to do considering I don't have a lot of complications yet that are documented other than back pain from my breasts. If I can get them to cover I will have to play 2k deductable and 20% :scared0:

Last night I dreamed I had the surgery. Today I took my kids out for lunch and there on my table was a newspaper open to the horoscope section. Mine for today is "Messages come from dreams or beyond to spark your imagination. Go with the flow and see what develops. Massage the details later." I clipped it out and stuck it in my purse :)

I haven't found a list of Doctors who do the surgery though I have searched the site. Am I missing it?

At obesityhelp.com you'll find a list of surgeons.

As far as your mom goes, I understand. I actually did NOT tell my mom before I left for MX. She assumed my dh and I were taking a vacation together. She found out only after my mother-in-law told her (m-i-l didn't know my mom didn't know...mom called her to see if we made it okay...m-i-l told her the surgery went well). I know my mom was mad about it, but she was the source of some major heartaches regarding my weight. I just didn't want to discuss it with her until I was back.

My mom used to call me fat & make mooing noises at me. Now she says I'm "too skinny". Ha! She's just jealous now.:)

I couldn't help but laugh when I read what your mother said, and what she used to say to you about "looking pretty if you lost some weight". Were you and I raised by the same woman? HAHA

I sounds to me like no matter what your decision is, that it will be an informed one. Best of luck on your journey.

Here's some research links to get you started. You can also go to springerlink and type into the search sleeve gastrectomy, and get loads of research articles. You can read the abstracts, and decide if you'd like to read the entire article.

LapSF Educational presentation to FACS - includes some 2 year results

LapSF Two Year Study

LapSF Five Year Study - abstract only

LapSF Five Year Study - presentation (requires Windows to play)

Literature review on the sleeve - requires $$ to get the full text unfortunately

Sleeve best for over 50 crowd

Video of a sleeve with lots of education discussion

Video of a sleeve that is more about the operation

Ghrelin levels after RnY and sleeve

Ghrelin levels after band and sleeve

Diabetes resolution in RnY vs. Sleeve

Comparison of band to sleeve - literature review

Below are some personal experiences that are on obesity help that I have saved.

Long-term Sleeve Experiences - 2 Years

on January 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Diligence-is-always-required

Stalls-Happen

Update-from-a-2-Year-Post-Op-VSGer

2-year-surgiversary-and-feeling

Two-and-one-half-years-post-op

TWO-YEARS-YALL

Just-Passed-My-2-Year-Surgiversary

questions-for-post-ops-2-years-out-or-more

2-years-out-food-amount-info

anyone-2-years-out

Happy-2-year-anniversary-to-me

2-years-post-op-TODAY

2-5-Years-After-a-VSG

Everday-life-at-2-5-years-out

2-1-2-year-update

Has-it-really-been-2-years

2-1-2-year-update

Two-Year-Surgiversary

2-year-update-portrait-of-a-heavyweight-a-bit-late

Two-year-surgiversary

2-and-1-2-years-later

2-years-since-my-surgery-any-advice-on-face-lift

2-year-post-op-pics

Two-Years-Before-amp-After-Pic

2-year-update-portrait-of-a-heavyweight-a-bit-late

Thought-you-might-enjoy-an-update-with-a-few-pics

Busybusymom-is-back-2-years-post-op

TWO-YEARS-BABY

Any-old-timers-still-lurking-the-boards

Long-term Sleeve Experiences - 3 Years

on June 8, 2009 10:43 pm

Three years out

Three and a half years after Vertical Gastrectomy My Story

A quick 2 year and 3 year VSG update

Third Year Surgiversay

Not always easy but always worth it

Very Discouraged 3 years out

Pregnancy with VSG is safer than with RNY because we do not have to deal with the malabsorption aspect. We are currently trying, and I'm taking extra folic acid, and other Vitamins to prepare my body. Also, I have increased my calories for maintenance, and am completely out of ketosis. On obesityhelp, there is also a forum dedicated to pregnancy after WLS that I have found helpful. A lot of the members there have had RNY, but there are some VSG members that have posted their stories.

Best wishes in your research.

Thank you for your replies :) I have been reading this site almost nonstop since I found it. Something just feels right about it. I told my Mom last night I was considering the surgery and she started with, "OH no! You are going to die!"

It's funny how many people react this way. When you compare the risks of VSG to the risk of staying obese, VSG wins hands down, and yet still well-meaning relatives are scaring people away from VSG left and right!

I didn't want to go as drastic as GB and also didn't want to have the band in me all the time. I also have 2 small kids and going for fills or withdraws all the time would be a pain. I also read so many stories about problems with the band and I didn't want to risk going back and forth with problems if they should arise. I decided the sleeve was right for me...and I know about that reaction, my parents and husband were all for it but my sister was not happy. She gave me the "easy way out" and all the other speeches. In the end it's what makes you and your family happy it's YOUR body and YOUR health! Good luck with everything and welcome:biggrin0:! Oh and I am self-pay, I am getting sleeved on Wed.:) and I know it's going to be worth it! You might wanna look at getting a loan I know there are a couple different options.

Congrats on your soon to be new life Gator!

My Mom just left and I was showing her before and after pictures and how the surgery is done. She says, "Okay, how are we going to pay for this?" :thumbup: I'm still not sure that I'm going ahead with it but it's nice to have my Mom not being negitive.

My husband really hasn't said much and I talked to a friend who's getting GB and she said that a mutual friend of ours is getting a sleeve next month. Wow, who knew? She is going with a Dr here close but upon reading his profile has only done 10 VSG surgeries...that doesn't sit right with me. There's another Dr in Nashville who has done around 70 and then of course the option of going to Mexico. We are paying for hubby to go back to school right now, out of pocket, on a youth counselor's salary so something big is gonna have to happen if insurance doesn't come through. I'm hopeful though, I guess the first step is getting an appointment with my regular Doctor.