Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had sushi after being sleeved?? <-- obviously after completing mushies phase.. If so, how many pieces could you get in? thanks!

I loved sushi pre-op. I don't know how it will be now though. You really have to eat a big piece of food at one time. It would be weird to take a piece and cut into bite size pieces. Right now I'd be surprised if I could get one in.... I am interested to hear what others have to say.

I've had sushi post-op. I loooove sushi! And I don't count carbs (per my nutritionist's advice), so I had sushi rolls. It was a painful experience. Since the pieces are small I tended to want to eat the whole thing at once (wasn't thinking about it) and that was a mistake. :angry: But as long as you take it slow, I see no reason for not having occasional sushi. I just tried to take smaller bites, I didn't actually cut it up as I think that would just be messy. It wasn't too terrible with the rolls, as I got the "normal" kind with the rice on the inside, so the seaweed helped hold it together a little bit. Make sure you watch the sauces, though, as I'm sure they're probably not exactly sugar-free. :wink0: If you're worried about carbs, you can always just order sashimi. I definitely wasn't able to eat a whole roll. I think I had maybe 3-4 pieces and I had to have my fiance eat the rest, though I'm sure he didn't mind! I think I could probably eat more at this point (I'm just over 4 months out, and was only about 2 months out when we went). I would love to go more often, but it's hard to find good sushi here in the midwest!

Hope that helps!

Edited by MidwestGirl

Thanks Stcyt, Midwestgirl!!

I start mushies on Wednesday, so I guess I'll be having tuna sashimi in about a month with no problem..

My daughter and I went the other night!!

I ordered a lobster roll and was only able to eat 2 pieces.

I drank the miso Soup prior to eating the sushi. Yep shouldnt have done that.

I had it about 2 months after surgery. I LOVE SUSHI!!! We have a place here that makes the best sushi I have ever tried! Anyways.. when I tried it I could only do 3- 4 pieces and that was it. It was so delicious. I did want more but didn't want to push it. It's all good :laugh0:

I eat sushi several times a month. I do not eat the raw version of the fish, but I do eat sushi rolls.

It depends on what kind of rolls I choose. If it's just the veggie rolls with carrots, cucumber, avocado and cream cheese, I can eat about 4 small pieces. If the rolls are the "fried" version with crab meat and some veggies, I can typically only get in 2-3 pieces. I have to eat super slow, like 30-40 minutes to get those in.

We go out for Hibachi once or twice a month, and we split a fried crab sushi roll, and then we get the shared order of filet mignon/chicken/fried rices/veggies. I eat the sushi pieces wait while the Hibachi guy is doing his little show then I sip some plum wine, and I eat a few bites of steak/chicken, watch a little more of the show, and then eat some fried rice. It's one of the few occasions when I sip while eating. This dining experience lasts nearly 2 hours and that is the only possible way I can get in that much food.

I'll be honest...almost none of this type of food works well for me anymore. Nibbles in small amounts, maybe a slice total, b/c it is all kinda dry, the sauces don't work out as well in my sleeve But I'm okay with the little bites as long as it is more of an appetizer and not the meal.

I eat sushi several times a month. I do not eat the raw version of the fish, but I do eat sushi rolls.

It depends on what kind of rolls I choose. If it's just the veggie rolls with carrots, cucumber, avocado and cream cheese, I can eat about 4 small pieces. If the rolls are the "fried" version with crab meat and some veggies, I can typically only get in 2-3 pieces. I have to eat super slow, like 30-40 minutes to get those in.

We go out for Hibachi once or twice a month, and we split a fried crab sushi roll, and then we get the shared order of filet mignon/chicken/fried rices/veggies. I eat the sushi pieces wait while the Hibachi guy is doing his little show then I sip some plum wine, and I eat a few bites of steak/chicken, watch a little more of the show, and then eat some fried rice. It's one of the few occasions when I sip while eating. This dining experience lasts nearly 2 hours and that is the only possible way I can get in that much food.

Plum wine? Really? OMGosh I want some RIGHT NOW!!!

Sounds delish!

lobster roll.. that sounds yummy!

Victor,

It was really really yummy!!

California roll smothered with lobster and the little masago (sp chk) eggs on top.

oh yeah!! I wanted more but had I done even a tiny bit more it would have been realy bad.

I was "Thanksgiving Day Full" just from two of them and the little bit of miso Soup. Oh wait I just remembered I had a bit of tempura fried sweet potato too!!!

Plum wine? Really? OMGosh I want some RIGHT NOW!!!

Sounds delish!

I refuse to go out for Hibachi, and not have an enormous glass of plum wine. John laughs because I make him pay about 14 bucks per glass (which is a bit more expensive than my little Riesling I drink at the steak house), but he knows it makes me happy. And, you know the old saying " Happy Wife makes a Happy Life", well he's learned that life lesson very quickly. Ha ha ha

It's funny you brought up sushi. It's one of my fave foods and on 5/23 (the week b4 I start my pre op diet), my kids and their families are joining me and my hubby for a sushi dinner. It's my "farewell dinner" which I now see as a celebration. Since the whole family love sushi, I thought what a better way to Celebrate my upcoming new life!

I love sushi rolls. It'll be hard not to want to throw those little delicious pieces of heaven in my mouth. :(

Glad to hear that others have been able to eat sushi without issue. The key seems to be to eat slow and chew well. I guess I can practice some self control. :lol0:

I just had sushi for lunch. As MidWestGirl mentioned, it can be a little painful and you have to be mindful of how quickly you are eating. I can eat 3 pieces of a small roll (veggie/ spicy tuna/ etc) I find that sashimi or sushi (the kind with the raw fish over a small ball of rice) goes down the easiest. I can eat an order of sashimi and 2 pieces of sushi easily. Maybe try take out your first time, just in case?