Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's my first night post-op, and frankly I feel like death warmed over. I'm constantly running about a 100 degree fever, my stomach hurts (can't tell if it's surface pain or inside), I'm on-again-off-again nauseous, and I generally feel like doots.

I've probably only got in about 20 oz of Water today; I was all gung ho to stay hydrated, but when you can only take the tiniest of tiny sips at a time, it's really hard!

I doubt I'll get much sleep tonight. I sure hope this gets better!

It will get better. The first couple of weeks can be a roller coaster ride. Hang in there with a positive attititude and know it will be better soon. Praying for you to feel well soon.

Glad you are through your surgery. I felt pretty horrible for the first 24 hours too. Gas pains all over my chest and abdomen, plus nausea. Trying to swallow was miserable. But about the 30 hour mark I was feeling better. Came home and didn't even need meds. Some temp immediately after surgery might be normal, but my MD had me on an antibiotic right after surgery (only while in the hospital). Are you taking an antibiotic?

Don't worry, it will get much better every day. I am now 4 days post op (surgery was Monday, 5/3) and feel 2000 X better than I did on Tuesday. The first two days I was home, I was exhausted and had a real hard time getting down more than 20 oz of Fluid a day; yesterday (Thursday) I felt like I turned a corner! Swallowing is much easier so getting fluids in was alot easier. Try warm fluids like tea; they seem to work better for me. I didn't even have to take a nap and did some stuff around the house, but if you had told me on Tuesday, I'd be feeling close to normal by Friday, I certainly wouldn't have believed you. Just take it a day at a time and you'll see it will get easier--hang in there!

I wouldn't have wanted to be home on the first night, but even by tonight you should feel noticeably better. I can tell you that by one week out, all soreness was gone and other than some tenderness at the main incision, I felt completely normal. It starts getting fun soon, I promise! :scared0:

I had my surgery April 12, and my temp started to rise then the nurse told me to start breating in to this plastic gadget with balls measuring the air i was bringing into my lungs, it is important to do those breathing excercises. Once I started it my temp went back to normal. I also walked around the nursing station. Wish you a speedy recovery and i'll save your spot on the losers bench.

Hang in there my friend....it will get better and you'll be amazed at how quickly it gets better. Keep walking..and definitely do the breathing exercises.

Hey there what you feel now is the norm. That breathing apparatus mentioned, with the balls, is very important to insure your lungs stay clear! I was sent home with one and while in the hospital was instructed to do an inhale/exhale exercise with it every hour while 5 days in the hospital and for the first 2 weeks when home. If you are already home monitor your temp often as they would in the hospital. I know getting enough fluids in is overwhelming at the beginning, but keep sipping nonetheless, your capacity will increase over time. I hope this venue will be a source of strength and support for you and wish you a smooth and uneventful recovery.

Sorry buddy... that first 24 is rough. I was in the hospital for 48 and wouldn't have wanted to be at home. I had IV fluids so didn't have to worry about hydration till 48 hrs out. Walk Sip Walk Sip.... its the same old advice everyone gives but there's a reason it gets stated again and again. At about 48 hrs you'll be a million times better. Youll be yourself (well, actually a smaller version of yourself) before you know it.

Take Care

Stacey

It sucks! I am so sorry you have to go through this part. Hydration is the key and for me it was very unappealing, but it is the difference in a slow/fast recovery. If you can get through this first little bit it quickly becomes worth it, I promise! You can do it.

I was the same way. I felt like I had the noro virus (i caught it on a cruise once) and the feeling lasts about that long. It's good that you are still in the hospital, because they keep you hydrated. You don't have to worry as much about getting your liquid intake until you get home. That will be the struggle for the first week. But, trust me, everyday you will feel a little bit better. I felt like i had the flu for two weeks, and then it went away. Still, because of all of this, you will most likely feel weak and fatigued. I hope you don't have to rush back to work. Good luck.

I was the same way. I felt like I had the noro virus (i caught it on a cruise once) and the feeling lasts about that long. It's good that you are still in the hospital, because they keep you hydrated. You don't have to worry as much about getting your liquid intake until you get home. That will be the struggle for the first week. But, trust me, everyday you will feel a little bit better. I felt like i had the flu for two weeks, and then it went away. Still, because of all of this, you will most likely feel weak and fatigued. I hope you don't have to rush back to work. Good luck.

Unfortunately, it was an outpatient procedure. I went in today for two liters of hydration and I think that helped.

Now I'm just focusing on sipping and walking.

It feels like my entire body has been pummeled by a prize fighter. Even weird places like my neck, my thighs, and my calves.

I had excruciating pain in my calves starting the day I came home from the hospital and it lasted 3-4 days...it hurt to stand up and to walk. BAD. At first I was scared it might be a blood clot..I did call my doctor and talk to him about it. then it just went away...

Unfortunately, it was an outpatient procedure. I went in today for two liters of hydration and I think that helped.

Now I'm just focusing on sipping and walking.

Good call on the hydration thing. Thats the one thing I don't get about out patient. I would have never been able to hydrate without my IV