Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now I'm Worried!

After making the decision today to have the sleeve done, i have been reading through the forums and a lot of your posts. What i am about to ask may upset some but i am not trying to come across harsh, i am just concerned. I am planning on having surgery in Mexico first of all. I see that many of you have. Well, i notice that there are a lot of posts about hunger and weight loss stalls, and it has me wondering, if you are put on a liquid diet for quite some time, you are going to lose weight, regardless of whether or not you have the surgery. If you then start eating solid foods after a liquid diet, you start to feel full sooner because your stomach has adapted to being fed less. Which gets to my point and main concern- how do you really know that they are removing 70% or the majority of your stomach? Only those who get full MUCH faster and simply cannot eat nearly what they used to would have had that full amount of stomach removed, it just makes sense. Some have said that they feel fine immediately after surgery and were walking and exercising the day after. It seems to me that if you truely had that much stomach removed, you would be in severe pain, unable to eat anything, and need quite some time to recover. Do you think that some people get a bogus surgery? For those of you that have had your surgery in Mexico, what is your opinion?

I have pictures of my Sleeve and pictures of my stomach before they removed it. I got to see part of my operation at my 1 month post op. I know that they took my stomach out.

Regardless of stalls and everything else, the surgery is so worth it. We may talk about being hungry, but it's nothing like pre-op hunger. I don't regret my surgery for even a NY minutes.

my view on this is that i completely trust Dr. Aceves and his most professional work. i am sure of his credentials and his staff?s as well.

Plus i have seen the results and i totally love my sleeve. Give them a call, and you?ll see the excellent service they provide.:thumbup:

I am in Mexico right now as we speak. I got my sleeve done on Tuesday. Now if it was a bogus surgery I would still be hungry would I not? And I am not hungry at all. If you could meet Dr. Aceves and his staff you would not feel this way. They are top notch professionals. And I saw my sleeve on the xray today and watched the contrast go down the sleeve. :thumbup: And the pain I have felt is more from gas pains. Plus there are no nerves in your stomach to make you feel like you just had 3/4 of it cut out. It's for real trust me.

If you do not trust this forum, then read up on the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. Google it.

When you hear people on this forum talking about hunger, it probably is not even hunger. It's hard to explain but you can go all day without eating and not be really hungry. It's not hunger like before surgery at all. Also, different surgeons have different eating preferences. some keep people on liquids longer than others. it probably keeps from irritating your newly sculpted stomach. My surgeon let me have Jello, pureed food, and yougurt, Soups, etc a week after surgery. Two weeks after I could have soft food like lunch meat and hamburger, etc. I am not on dense meats yet, i have to wait another month or two. But do exactly what you surgeon wants from you, no matter which surgery you choose. The sleeve is great because you have a normal albeit smaller stomach, so you absorb more Protein, minerals, etc. But it's your choice.

I can't speak to all surgeons, but I know many of us took part in swallow studies post op, and stood in front of xray machines and watched what it looked like as we swallowed and how small our tummies are. I promise you that I do not have the same stomach. I can barely drink 2 ounces at a time. Hunger post op is a phenomenon that for the most part feels very different to me than it did pre op. I still sometimes have a difficult time distinguishing between actual hunger or if my stomach is just producing too much acid.

Please oh please do more homework, even if you do decide to get the surgery and you decide to do it out of the states it is your responsiblity to learn everything you possibly can. The surgery is not something you get and then bam, all your weight related issues disappear.

Thankyou for you replies! You know those last minute "doubts" that you get when facing something as serious as this... and after viewing all these posts and especially some where people have questioned whether or not enough of their stomach was removed, i really started to wonder... But thankyou for verifying it for me and I'm glad that you have a great Doctor that you are working with!!!

Hello All, my wife just had Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy in India and she is home now and this opration was very smooth. Only one thing she has to drink only liquid for atleast for month , yesterday she had fever and diarrhea, today her fever is gone but she still suffering from diarrhea. Any one know wht is the reason and what should we do to stop . Becuse of this she is feeling very week .

Sheen,

Odds are good that the reason she is experiencing this, is because she is only consume liquids and that is all her body can put out for now. It is unpleasant but very normal, just make sure she continues to stay hydrated.

Hello All, my wife just had Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy in India and she is home now and this opration was very smooth. Only one thing she has to drink only liquid for atleast for month , yesterday she had fever and diarrhea, today her fever is gone but she still suffering from diarrhea. Any one know wht is the reason and what should we do to stop . Becuse of this she is feeling very week .

My surgeon's office suggests that we have Imodium tablets on hand in case of diarrhea. They said it just happens to some people. The most important thing to remember is to stay hydrated. Make sure she's taking in enough fluids and watch for signs of dehydrations!

Carefully monitor her to make sure the fever doesn't come back also. If it does, please contact her surgeon's office.

Good luck to her!

To the OP :

Certainly the 2 consults I had, both surgeons said I would get a dvd of the operation, which would show me the removal.

As stated most surgeons give quite a strict eating regime for the post op period, working your way slowly thru the clear liquid, full liquid, mushies then soft food stages, theres several links on here which has been posted by sleevers which would help you see the different variations on this to help with your research.

I wish you luck in your research... theres a lot you need to be aware of before you make this decision, so to be fully informed is vital.

Kathy

After making the decision today to have the sleeve done, i have been reading through the forums and a lot of your posts. What i am about to ask may upset some but i am not trying to come across harsh, i am just concerned. I am planning on having surgery in Mexico first of all. I see that many of you have. Well, i notice that there are a lot of posts about hunger and weight loss stalls, and it has me wondering, if you are put on a liquid diet for quite some time, you are going to lose weight, regardless of whether or not you have the surgery. If you then start eating solid foods after a liquid diet, you start to feel full sooner because your stomach has adapted to being fed less. Which gets to my point and main concern- how do you really know that they are removing 70% or the majority of your stomach? Only those who get full MUCH faster and simply cannot eat nearly what they used to would have had that full amount of stomach removed, it just makes sense. Some have said that they feel fine immediately after surgery and were walking and exercising the day after. It seems to me that if you truely had that much stomach removed, you would be in severe pain, unable to eat anything, and need quite some time to recover. Do you think that some people get a bogus surgery? For those of you that have had your surgery in Mexico, what is your opinion?

YOUR SO CUTE!!! Good question though, honey when you get your surgery your going to understand. . let me tell you, I NEVER got my surgery in Mexico, I got it right here in the US, and I definately didn't feel bad at all after the surgery, but you betcha i had my tummy removed big time! I'm going on 4 1/2 months out and can only eat 2 - 4 oz at a meal, no more, definately nothing bogus here. :wink1:. . . you'll see. . . good luck!