Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the site!!...Excited to be here!!

Hi all!!....my name is Jenny and I have an approved surgery date of 5/10/2010...I am excited and scared...a little about me...I know this is probably not the best way to start but here goes....I was never really over weight until I went through cancer...steriods are awful!!!...I gained about 80 pds after going through 15 wks of chemo and 32 radiation treatments...(they only gave me 8 months to live) so I am glad im still here...this was all in 00-01...so now I am still 80-90 pds overweight...my body completely changed...I was not as active...my thyroid is not my friend...and the fact that I am 38 now and been like this so long....well I finally sat down and thought "jenny you got a second at life...LIVE IT"...so I started this journey to have this surgery...I can not do the RNY because I have to be able to have a camera put down my throat if ever needed because of having cancer before...so my work insurance was tough...Aetna sees the sleeve as experimental...but shockingly they approved 5 days after my surgeons office sent everything in...I was very very compliant...I lost 15 pds before I even started the 2 wk liquid pre-op diet...which I am in day three of...its killing me...I love PASTA!!!...I see all these post about no preop diet or one small meal a day...I cant do either...I have to do straight liquids for two weeks...my BMI is 41...I am 5'11 and 288 pds...I spread my weight well....basically I am looking for support...I want Pasta so bad...the Protein Shakes suck (sorry)...I have to intake 80-90 grams of Protein a day with only 800 calories...I can have broth and sugar free jello...I did go get some frozen crystal light popsicles...they have helped...but I am more a salty person then sweet...I know I am being babyish...I know if I can beat 4 stage cancer I can do this pre op diet...ok...I ranted...any encourgment would be appreciated...Thanks for reading!!!...oh if anyone can give me some aftermath things about how you felt after surgery and what I can expect I would so greatly appreciate it....Thanks Again:thumbup:

Welcome Jenny - congrats on your insurance approval and surgery date. You have a right to feel the way you do right now - this is the hardest part of the whole ordeal. Once you have surgery, the hunger hormones will lessen, and it will so easy to eat the way you should. I understand about the Pasta - I used to love it too. But after I was sleeved, I found I don't really enjoy bread or Pasta anymore. They fill me up too quickly and make my tummy feel bad, so I prefer to stick with the Protein portion of the meal, and maybe have a small bite or two of carbs.

You sound like a strong woman to have beat cancer and gone through what you have at such a young age. This pre-op stage will be over before you know it and life will be much easier. You're right - most Protein shakes do "suck" - but we have to endure them anyway. If you search this site, you should be able to find lots of shake recipes and ways to try and make them more tolerable. There are also clear liquid Protein drinks like Isopure ready-made that I found easier to get down than the shake powder mixes.

Compared to chemo, sleeve surgery should be a walk in the park for you. I was back at my desk job part-time just a few days afterwards, but I work at home and could stop and rest when need be. As long as you get up and start walking as soon as you can, pain is usually kept to a minimum for most folks. I'm sure you'll do great!

WOW! What a story you have. Welcome to the boards. You can do this! With what you have been through this should be easy for you! What a blessing you have been given.

Thanks for sharing your story and good luck in your journey.

Jenn, Welcome to VST and congrats on your choice to have the sleeve. I agree that the pre op diet is probably the hardest part of the whole process. So hang in there and know that things will get much better. Best wishes to you on your journey and I look forward to hearing how it's going.

Congrats on everything. You can make it through this, just follow the directions. I cheated the week before my surgery and had a big Pasta meal, but that's just me. Don't worry about the pasta, in a few months you can eat Dreamfields pasta, and it surprising tastes and feels like the real stuff, except it is low carb. As for Protein Shakes, you have a lot of choices. If you want a lot of Protein, The Isopure Protein Drink which is flavored water like a tart Kool Aid. You can get that at GNC. It has 40 Grams of protein. For a shake, there is a premade Pure Protein Frosty chocolate with 35 grams of protein. I warm it up in the morning and it tastes just like hot cocoa. Bet everyone here has there own preferences. you have to find what works for you. I agree most of the shakes are Yucka.

Welcome and hang in there. I will start my liquid diet next week. I am still waiting on my insurance.

Welcome to the board! You kicked cancer's tail and now your going to kick obesity's tail! Congrats on getting such a fast approval!

Welcome

Your one tough chic so this should be just another bump in the road for you. Life is really very good after surgery.

Welcome, your story is such an inspiration this will be so easy for you....I'm praying for the best possible outcome for you.

hi and welcome!! you sound so excited and you'll be happier as soon as you get it. what to expect? lots of weight loss!!! so enjoy and welcome the losers bench.:scared0:

Welcome and thanks a lot. Now I have to quit whining about my piddlie little aches and pains. My wife told me to "MAN UP" today because she is tired listening to me and my surgery isn't until tomorrow. So thanks a lot Ms Tuffie and welcome again.:blushing: