Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just found this forum so I am new

Hi I just found this forum and am glad to see other feel the same as me. I have been looking into having weight lose surgery for about 5 months now. I was going to have Lab Band but when I met with the surgeon he feels I have a better chance with the sleeve. I am 48 married have 2 adult children and 3 grandchildren. I am 5ft tall and 256 pounds. I have had to have so many test and Doctors appointment in the last 5 months. I am told they are requirements for the insurance company but they have been checking everything. Better safe then sorry. They have set a date of May 19th for my surgery and I will need to be on a 2 week liquid diet. I am so nervous about the liquid diet and how I will be able to go 2 weeks with only liquids. I plan on visiting this site a lot I think I will find a lot of information here and hearing what other feel and have felt will make me feel better. As well as hearing what is still to come for me. I wish everyone much luck with your journeys. :sad0:

Good Luck with your planning!

I also started out thinking that I would do the lapband. Fortunately, I discovered the sleeve before I did it! It has been quite easy physically. Mentally I do miss food tho.

That is great that your insurance will cover the surgery! I would probably get cranky tho jumping thru the hoops : )

Congrats with your decision!

Thank you so much for making me fell welcome here. Yes running around from appointment to appointment was getting on my nerves. I am still waiting to hear if the insurance has been approved they submitted it to them on Friday they feel that I should have no problem because I do have some other health issues that the weight loss should help eliminate. At least that is what I am hoping.

Welcome...I'm pretty new here myself and it's been such a great place to get support and information. My surgeon was pretty impressed with how well I did my homework...I told him I'd been reading on this forum! lol

The liquid diet isn't as bad as it seems. I am on the PrescriptFit Protein shakes and I haven't struggled with it all except for the last week or so just not being able to get as much of it in as I'm supposed to. But it really wasn't hard to stay full on it and to turn away from real food.

Good luck to you and hoping for a quick insurance approval.

Welcome. I too started looking into the band and my Dr. suggested the sleeve. I'm 5' also and started at 201. My surgery was 3/3/2010 and I did 2 weeks of Clear Liquids, 2 weeks of full liquids and I just completed my 3 weeks of mushies. You didn't say but I think you are probably referring to 2 weeks of liquids after surgery (some are instructed to diet prior to surgery). You will find after surgery you can only get 2 oz or so down at a time. You will do fine - it is really not that bad as you are not hungry. May 19 will be here very soon. You will find this is a great site for support. Keep in touch. K

Welcome. I too started looking into the band and my Dr. suggested the sleeve. I'm 5' also and started at 201. My surgery was 3/3/2010 and I did 2 weeks of clear liquids, 2 weeks of full liquids and I just completed my 3 weeks of mushies. You didn't say but I think you are probably referring to 2 weeks of liquids after surgery (some are instructed to diet prior to surgery). You will find after surgery you can only get 2 oz or so down at a time. You will do fine - it is really not that bad as you are not hungry. May 19 will be here very soon. You will find this is a great site for support. Keep in touch. K

Welcome. It's good you found this forum. The people here will fill you in on anything and everything you need to know. You will most likely not be hungry after surgery, and getting all the liquids you need will be a challenge, but it gets easier everyday. you'll do fine.

Hi, this is my first post even though I have been reading this forum for weeks now. Congrats on getting a date! How exciting! I am still in limbo waiting for the OK from my insurance which should be any day now. Yep, all the Dr appointments are behind me also and I am so relieved! I also started out thinking I wanted the Lap-Band but found out that I have Barretts Esophegus and the Lap-Band would make my heartburn worse. I know that the By-pass is the best procedure for the heartburn issue but that is so extreme that I choose the sleeve. I look forward to hearing how the liquid diet is going for you. I suppose I will also have to do that but since I haven't had my pre-surgery visit I'm not sure what he will have me do. Keep us posted!

Welcome to the forum!

Hi there and welcome. Congrats on getting your date, and fingers are crossed for insurance approval.

The sleeve is absolutely amazing. I've had the band, and now the sleeve for the last 10.5 months, and it's been great.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks everyone you have all been great. Yes I have to do the 2 weeks of clear liquids, before the surgery I start that on May 5th. I told my husband about this forum and he thinks it great that I have someone to share my thoughts and feelings with that understand what I am feeling. Hope you all have a great day.

I am hope that you hear about your insurance very soon. I als am very glad to have someone to share my thoughts and feelings.