Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What a difference a month makes.....

You are so lucky that you can have an egg and creamed soups! I would kill to be able to have those things! :frown1:

One of these days I'll be able to have that...sigh. LOL

Well the Soup is diluted with Water so it isn't exactly gourmet, but it's a far cry from broth. I know I'm lucky. I don't get the egg until day 8. Tomorrow is day 5 for me.

What's your diet schedule like?

Interestingly the dietician before surgery wrote down that I need 1200 to 1400 calories a day. I am sure not getting anything close to that. I think I'll start keeping track of what I'm taking in so I will have a better idea what it takes to keep losing weight. I thought everybody else was saying that they were only getting 300 to 800 calories a day post-op. Could that be right?

I don't get to have to eggs until week 6!

On day 10 I can add thin creamed Soups, pudding, and yogurt.

Right now I can only have Clear Liquids and Protein drinks/shakes.

Today I had 3- 6 oz shakes...one scoop of powder in each. One scoop is 110 calories, 2 g of fat, and 10 g of total carbs.

The only other thing I've had today is Water.< /p>

Wow our plans are very different! How many grams of Protein does your 6 oz shake have. One scoop of my stuff has 24 grams of Protein so they really want me to have 3 of them a day too. I'm just having a hard time getting it down. I can have some yogurt already too. I have found some all natural cran-grape juice that has no sugar that is really refreshing. I don't care for apple juice or many other juices at all. I'm such a wuss.

One very positive thing about you getting a much lighter diet than I'm getting is that you'll undoubtedly lose much faster than I am. Sigh.

Wow our plans are very different! How many grams of Protein does your 6 oz shake have. One scoop of my stuff has 24 grams of Protein so they really want me to have 3 of them a day too. I'm just having a hard time getting it down. I can have some yogurt already too. I have found some all natural cran-grape juice that has no sugar that is really refreshing. I don't care for apple juice or many other juices at all. I'm such a wuss.

One very positive thing about you getting a much lighter diet than I'm getting is that you'll undoubtedly lose much faster than I am. Sigh.

One scoop has 14 grams of protein.

I haven't tried any juices..they said I could have some diet cranberry juice which I don't like so.

What brand of Protein Powder are you using?

Well the Soup is diluted with Water so it isn't exactly gourmet, but it's a far cry from broth. I know I'm lucky. I don't get the egg until day 8. Tomorrow is day 5 for me.

What's your diet schedule like?

Interestingly the dietician before surgery wrote down that I need 1200 to 1400 calories a day. I am sure not getting anything close to that. I think I'll start keeping track of what I'm taking in so I will have a better idea what it takes to keep losing weight. I thought everybody else was saying that they were only getting 300 to 800 calories a day post-op. Could that be right?

Is your dietician part of the surgeon's team? My internist, who is not part of my surgeon's team, recommended I see her dietician and she was agast that I was only eating 600-800 calories per day (Dr Aceves' recommendation). She wanted me to increase to at least 1200 calories, but it was clear that she did not "get it". We are not supposed to be on a "normal" diet plan here, this is a WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM. So I am not following her plan. I am following what my bariatric surgeon recommended. My wt loss is as it should be, my lab tests are good, and I feel great. Once I reach target, I will bump it up to 1200-1500 calories to maintain.

I agree that it will allow me to eat more veggies and fruits once I can do that, but for now, I am working on my wt loss goal. If your bariatric surgeon did not recommend a diet to you, I'd say contact him/her and find out what they recommend.

I just realized I was supposed to have 3 Protein shakes today and I haven't been able to get one down. It's all about the Protein. I sure don't want to lose my hair, but it's hard to get the stuff down. I think I'll just keep it by my chair and try to take little teaspoonsful off and on.

Good luck with the tea. I've never been a tea drinker either. It is one drink though that I can do with a tiny bit of sweetner and it tastes fine. I'm just awful about artificial sweetners. I'd usually rather just not have anything than eat something with sweetners and fake flavorings. Hope this doesn't keep me from losing like I should.

And btw, my doctor's instructions do say that something a little warm in the morning is soothing. Good luck!

I've been trying out different protein combos for a while now, trying to find something that is 'ok' so I'll have something I can get down after surgery. I'm like you, I don't want to lose my hair and I also know it helps with healing...well, I have a friend who has not and is not having WLS but she drinks protein drinks! Her mom got this recipe years ago in some sort of weight loss program, and so far it's the best I've tried. I use 8 oz of skim milk (in a blender), my friend uses Water, but I use skim to get the extra protein, 1 scoop of soy unflavored protein from GNC, it has 13 grams, 2 tsps of vanilla and 1 'stick' of propel lemonade. Add 3 or 4 ice cubes and blend. It's pretty good believe it or not. My friend will also add different fruit occasionally, but in the very beginning we cannot do that, and although I have tried it, i really prefer it 'plain' without the fruit! You can use any of the unflavored Protein powder but I hate the whey and the soy is just what I have worked my way to at this point!!! :thumbup: Good luck and congrats!!!! I can't wait to get this over with!!!!

I have been following your posts for a while, actually a few of you on here! I finally bit the bullet and joined! I am not sure when I will be approved for my final surgery date, however, the more I read, the more I realize that the sleeve is the right choice for me. I wanted you to know how encouraging it is to know that everyone here is willing to discuss their progress and keep posting!!!! It helps those of us in the decision making process to come to terms with their choice and know there is support out there outside of their surgeons office! So, THANK YOU!

I have been following your posts for a while, actually a few of you on here! I finally bit the bullet and joined! I am not sure when I will be approved for my final surgery date, however, the more I read, the more I realize that the sleeve is the right choice for me. I wanted you to know how encouraging it is to know that everyone here is willing to discuss their progress and keep posting!!!! It helps those of us in the decision making process to come to terms with their choice and know there is support out there outside of their surgeons office! So, THANK YOU!

Hi Pammi!! Welcome to our little corner of the world!! If you're like me, you'll find a ton of information, I found this forum last December (I think) - it's been so long now I can't remember! I started out thinking I'd get banded, but after realizing that traveling out of state for surgery and needing fills etc....and then after some research, like you, I decided the sleeve was the way to go. I want something permanent, I don't want 'a way out' - and there are many, many on here that have had revisions. Since I'm a self pay patient, I don't think I can do this twice! =) Good luck, I hope you get your date soon!!! I'm counting down the days now! Yay! Have a great week!

Thank you! I am hoping for the end of May or Beginning of June so we will be around the same time! I appreciate the encouragement!!! I am a musician and I have to play guitar and sing on the weekends, so not knowing my date is killing me for bookings...and it is all I can think about and talk about!! I am driving my Family Crazy!! :lol0:

One scoop has 14 grams of Protein.

I haven't tried any juices..they said I could have some diet cranberry juice which I don't like so.

What brand of Protein Powder are you using?

I get it through my doctor but I could order it online if I wanted to. It's called "Peak Nutrition" and it is bio-engineered whey Protein powder. When I got the band, I asked the dietician then if I could use some of the commerically available things (like Isopure, Muscle Milk, etc.) and she said no. She said this stuff is the best thing on the market for what we need and it honestly tastes better than any of the stuff at the super market or GNC. Of course taste is a matter of individual taste, right?

I can hardly stand diet cranberry juice. But the cran-grape, with no sugar added is really good. I'm sipping on some now. I actually had 3 oz of applesauce this morning. It gave me shooting pains but I got it down over the course of about 25 minutes. I tried drinking some green tea but it REALLY caused some pain with only 2 or 3 sips.

It sounds to me like you're doing great, goodlife!

BJean, do you find it has that "proteiny" taste?

The one I use PrescriptFit lactose free chocolate tastes just like brownie mix to me...I really like it. I don't have to force myself to drink it all!

Is your dietician part of the surgeon's team? My internist, who is not part of my surgeon's team, recommended I see her dietician and she was agast that I was only eating 600-800 calories per day (Dr Aceves' recommendation). She wanted me to increase to at least 1200 calories, but it was clear that she did not "get it". We are not supposed to be on a "normal" diet plan here, this is a WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM. So I am not following her plan. I am following what my bariatric surgeon recommended. My wt loss is as it should be, my lab tests are good, and I feel great. Once I reach target, I will bump it up to 1200-1500 calories to maintain.

I agree that it will allow me to eat more veggies and fruits once I can do that, but for now, I am working on my wt loss goal. If your bariatric surgeon did not recommend a diet to you, I'd say contact him/her and find out what they recommend.

Yes, my dietician is on staff full time with my doctor. Although he recently made a change because (I think) his former dietician was not very good encouraging his patients. She was way too critical instead of encouraging. Simply her personality type, I think. But I digress...

The dietician gave me the diet in a 3 ring binder and at the top she wrote my particular caloric, liquid and Vitamin requirements. It says that I should have 1200-1400 calories a day. Of course I am certainly not taking in that much yet and I'd be surprised if I'm getting 600 to 800 at this point. I have started to keep track today. I think it is an important learning tool.

I don't know what you weigh but 1200-1400 calories will suffice for an obese person to lose weight at a rate of 1 to 2 lbs. a week and to stay healthy. She stressed that the weight will come off, but if it comes off too quickly we definitely compromise our health, i.e., hair loss, loss of muscle mass, dehydration, loss of skin elasticity, etc.

My surgeon (not just bariatic, by the way) is obviously motivated like Dr. Aceves for us to lose a lot of weight so that we become another one of their success stories, but our GP has a vested interest in having a healthy patient as a primary goal. But my surgeon is doing a great job treating us as more than just obese patients. He has a nutritionist/dietician and an exercise physiologist on staff who works with us to build muscle mass and make sure that we are on an exercise routine specific to our individual needs. Of course that starts once we recover from the surgical procedure itself.

I respect your choice to stick to a low calorie diet but (and I'm no expert) I hope you will keep your overall health in mind and do what is best for your long-term wellness on this journey to becomming thin.