Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbs, carbs, carbs...

Surprising things I'm learning about carbs.

My scrambled eggs and cheddar cheese in the morning is about 1g of carbs. Most of that comes from the splash of nonfat milk I use to make the eggs fluffier. I was surprised that, per the nutrition information, milk contains carbs but cheese doesn't. Who'd a thunk it?

My coffee was a whopping 12g of carbs! Black coffee has zero carbs, but I use two small scoops (about 15g) of sugar free cocoa to sweeten it, and that has a surprising 10g of carbs in it. Then I use two Splenda packets, which each have 1g of carbs (apparently from the fillers that they use). So, I'll be skipping my morning coffee (unless I can learn to choke it down black). That's okay, though, since I'm supposed to be weaning off coffee anyway.

It's sorta amazing how many carbs there are in various foods. I realize that I can't really just eat something without checking it out first, or I might be sabotaging myself. I just poured my coffee down the sink :thumbup1:

I was the same way when I started post-op. I was shocked, and really had to rearrange my thinking about food. I also became very label conscious with everything I put in my body.

I, like Tiffy, have also become much more label-conscious than I used to be. I'm sure the fiance is getting annoyed with me by now since I tend to get a little "OMG, did you SEE how much sugar that has??? How can you eat that?!" :blushing: Anyway, there is a coffee Protein Drink called Click available if you need an alternative to coffee. I haven't tried it but I know people on this forum have, and there are posts about it if you search for them. Also, I'm one of the few whose dietitian doesn't recommend to watch carbs, so while I try my best to keep them low, I definitely don't keep track. And for that reason, it's important to me to distinguish what kind of carbs you're eating. The cocoa carbs probably doesn't do a whole lot for you, but the non-fat milk has nutritional value so the carb count on that should be weighted differently. Kind of like how yes, fruit has carbs, but they shouldn't be equated to the carbs in say, a bowl of white-flour Pasta. Just keep that in mind so you don't beat yourself up about the carb count, because some foods that are high in Protein (like Beans, for example) are also higher in carbs. :thumbup1: Carbs: the battle of good vs. evil :lol0:.

Well, actually, my nutritionist said that for the two weeks before surgery, I'm supposed to limit myself to no more than 40g carbs per day from all sources except green vegetables.

After surgery, I'll probably spend much less time counting carbs!

I did low-carb for two weeks as my pre-op diet. I didn't think it was too bad, but I did Atkins for a year so I knew the deal. :thumbup1: I had lots of fat-free cottage cheese and meat those two weeks! I think was allowed 1/2 c. of starchy vegetables a day, but no other carbs (besides my Protein shakes). And it was over Christmas for me. :blushing: Lol. Best of luck!

I love a good bowl of Fiber One Cereal in the morning. I can get down about a serving and it's great for Fiber. As for carbs, I think it's rather insignificant at the early stages because as long as you get your Protein in, you probably are not going to have much room for carbs in bulk.

One thing I am addicted to this week is pork and Beans, not the beanie weenie with the fake hot dogs either. They go down like butter and surprisingly, I can eat an 8oz can, in about 30 minutes.

Ouroborous - one option for your coffee (caffeine free, of course) is to add Swiss Miss Diet Hot Cocoa. It has a total of 4 carbs. It's already sweetened so you may not need to add the Splenda. I use the cocoa for a little treat in the evenings sometimes. In fact, now that I am thinking of it, I might have a cup tonight.

I love a good bowl of Fiber One Cereal in the morning. I can get down about a serving and it's great for fiber. As for carbs, I think it's rather insignificant at the early stages because as long as you get your Protein in, you probably are not going to have much room for carbs in bulk.

One thing I am addicted to this week is pork and Beans, not the beanie weenie with the fake hot dogs either. They go down like butter and surprisingly, I can eat an 8oz can, in about 30 minutes.

OMG I LOVE PORK AND BEANS!!!!!!! I'm getting some tomorrow!!!!:001_tongue::drool5:

Speaking of carbs.....I had my six week appt with the dietitian today and mine told me to begin eating cold cereal, fruit, POTATOES, salads, etc. She has never mentioned watching carbs at ALL. Is this strange? I'm already in a stall/slow losing period that's lasted quite a while so I'm SHOCKED she wants me to add cereal and baked potatoes, etc. I have only been eating 650 cals and she wants me up to 800, too. I'm a heavy-weight (306lbs) so I have a LONG way to go. Anyone else have a dietitian who's completely unconcerned with carbs? Thanks!

great information, thanks!! as for the coffee, the good thing is i don't drink coffee at all.....what i do is drink milk or freshly squeezed juice, just a small cup of either one.:thumbup1:

Speaking of carbs.....I had my six week appt with the dietitian today and mine told me to begin eating cold cereal, fruit, POTATOES, salads, etc. She has never mentioned watching carbs at ALL. Is this strange? I'm already in a stall/slow losing period that's lasted quite a while so I'm SHOCKED she wants me to add cereal and baked potatoes, etc. I have only been eating 650 cals and she wants me up to 800, too. I'm a heavy-weight (306lbs) so I have a LONG way to go. Anyone else have a dietitian who's completely unconcerned with carbs? Thanks!

Well in the beginning, my nutritionist wasn't concerned at all about the calories, but she did mention No potatoes, rice, bread, or Pasta because these have way too many carbs . . my doctor likes us to follow the Adkins program and after a while we can introduce other things but make sure they are fat free and sugar free. . . basically i follow that, but i will have a treat of popcorn (small bag of 100 calories only) or a dark chocolate piece (never the whole thing) mixed nuts (about 3 TBSPN) or a diet coke/pepsi and once in a while a good drink of rum and coke. . .but these are only on occasion and not always. . . I'm losing pretty well and like to mix up my calorie amount so that i don't get into starvation mode and get a stall. . . for example today i had 1060 calories, yesterday only 500, over the weekend maybe 300 cause I had a hurt tooth and couldn't eat. . .but by mixing up the calories I am not stalling either. . . I am a heavy weight too, and in about 4 months have lost 77 lbs, not too shabby i think, and I have re introduced rice (only 2 TBSPN at a time) and mac and cheese (1/2 cup only). . . good luck!

Edited by thinoneday

You're not alone! My dietitian's plan does not involve counting/limiting carbs at all, aside from making sure that my Protein Shakes have more Protein than carbs. She says as long as I'm getting my protein in first, I should be fine. And once my protein is in, I don't limit my carbs. Not that I have them with every meal or anything, just that I do still have fruit, occasional pasta/rice/potatoes. And also foods that are both protein sources as well as carb-containing like almonds, which I have every day for Breakfast, and 100-calorie bags of popcorn. Actually, at my 3-month post-op appointment we realized that because I'm trying to get so much protein in at meals, I have been neglecting vegetables a bit (also a bit inconvenient to buy/fix veggies when it's just me eating). :thumbup1:

Thanks so much for the response! Someone else mentioned changing up the calories day to day (high one day and low the next). I will definitely try that. Plus, I don't feel like FORCING down all my calories every day anyway! That will be a little less stressful. Congrats on your awesome weight loss! I'm so happy for you. I will try and post again soon to let you know if it works! Thanks again!

My nutritionist was not too concerned about carbs with me since I was struggling to get in even 400 calories the first 3 months at least! She did tell me to steer clear of rice, bread, Pasta, etc. because they would swell up in my sleeve. I use stevia to sweeten my coffee and I drink decaff, mostly. I found a delicious vanilla-caramel tea in case your interested by Biglow. I add a little Silk organic Soy Milk or Almond Milk and one packet of stevia and I get the same satisfaction as if I were drinking a latte from Starbucks--hardly a carb in that.