Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No appetite at all.....

I had my surgery March 29, 2010. I find I am rarely hungry but I don't have any trouble when I do eat. I usually stick to around 4 oz of most foods and don't try to push it. Some days I am able to get enough Protein in without a Protein supplement. I have never been able to tolerate "milky" type shakes but have found 2 that are more "juice like" I do like. One is Weider Good2Go Protein powder in Peach mango also available in Lemon iced tea and another is whey Cooler Cran' Raspberry Coctail. Both have 20 mg Protein. I mixed the Weider product with 1 litre (4 cups) Water and added a Crystal lite individual packet and it tastes fine. I track everything on Daily Plate so it easy to see where I am at re: intake. Good luck. Sandy

Thanks for the suggestion. Where do you get these at?

Brenda

Of course i am pre-op, but i have always used Protein supplements and a lot of yogurt. I get generic sugar free light yougurt because i go through so much of it. Walmart has a great value brand, light version that is terrific in every flavor. Love the black cherry and lemon merengue pie. The protein powders you can get at Netrition.com or at GNC stores in your town. They have every flavor you can imagine including banana nut bread- mmm!!

I look at this thread with hope for the first time in my life. I eat so much, compulsively. As im reading this thread i am yet eating again today, a big bowl of oatmeal and sliced apples. The hunger never ends for me. While i love food and enjoy the taste of what im eating, the constant hunger makes me despise food because i look down at my thighs and belly and look at the toll that this "wonderful food" has taken on my body. And my strong desire for the food makes it so hard to put the fork down and just stop. I don't know what it is like to feel full. I can eat an entire pizza and still have room to go. I am having surgery on Monday, and I am just trying to imagine what it will feel like afterwards. To be full without overeating is just an amazing concept to me.

I TOTALLY get what you are saying! I was never full, now it happens SO quickly! You will love your sleeve. Good luck, I will be praying for you.

Although I am pretty new post-op, my experience has been similar to other people .. no appetite. My nutritionist said that I have to treat my eating like a prescription now which makes sense to me. I am not worried .. I have been given this tool to change my life and I will adapt and work with it any way that I can. I am conscientious about what I am eating and mixing it up a bit each day so my body can get nutrients from different foods. I am not thrilled with the Protein Shakes as much but I am moving onto to the soft food stage and grilled chicken is a couple of weeks away. Stay the course .. you will be fine.

I wanted to come back and update. I posted around 6 weeks ago that I was hungry all the time. I'm not sure when that changed, but now at 3.5 months out I have a lot more restriction. If I keep my meals to primarily Protein, I don't get hungry the way I used to and it takes a lot less to leave me feeling quite full and satisfied. A lot of the time I'm feeling a bit nauseated after eating but I know it's important to get in a good bit of Protein during the day.

So for those of you that are still feeling the hunger, it just may change!

Now if my weight loss would just speed up. :)

I'm not having that experience. I eat and then I'm hungry within 2 hours and have to tough it through. Worst part is that it takes me over a week to lose a pound. I thought that 600 calories a day combined with an hour of exercise would help me lose, or at least not be hungry. From my seat, I'm sorry that you feel yuck about food but I'm thinking that not being hungry doesn't sound so bad to me. We're all so different. I hope you feel better.

Hi Lee, sorry to hear you are finding it tough. What are you eating on a typical day and when are you eating it? You may lose more upping your calories to 800/900 and concentrating on protien in a solid form.

Hi Jane,

I posted last night that the hunger is much better at 3.5 months out. I have always eaten primarily Protein. I rarely have a bite of fruit or veggie and that's how it's been since day 1. I just didn't get the hunger relief that others got. That seems to be getting better now. I still struggle to get a 1-2 pounds off each week. If I get less than 60 minutes a day of exercise I don't lose anything. That's ok, exercise is good for us.

I eat 3x a day as called for by my Kaiser plan and try to get most of my Protein from food though some days I have a Protein shake.

Example from yesterday:

B. Protein Shake, (145 calories) 1/2 of a ISS protein wafer(105 calories)

L. 3 oz beef short ribs - 167 calories

D. 4 chicken wing drumets, 4 cashews - 194 calories

I had planned another protein shake but was too full.

My day was 72 protein grams.

I had carbs from Calcium chews.

Wow..so amazing, everyone's stories seem to be different. I am only 16 days out but hungry alot. Do you think it's because you are on solid food? I can't imagine having to force feed myself. I know you need some nutrition, but no appetite in a way sounds like a blessing..especially if you can tolorate the Protein Shakes and Water.< /p>

Bevanne,

I personally got a little hungry on Day 10 but then wasn't hungry at all when I went to soft foods. Around week 7 my hunger came back and I felt like I was hungry 2 hours after eating. At around 3+ months, the hunger seems to be lessened again.

My surgeon thought it had something to do with Sleeve irritation and I did take carafate for a week after my 3 month checkup. Maybe that helped soothe my Sleeve and took away some of the hunger.

Hi Jane,

I posted last night that the hunger is much better at 3.5 months out. I have always eaten primarily Protein. I rarely have a bite of fruit or veggie and that's how it's been since day 1. I just didn't get the hunger relief that others got. That seems to be getting better now. I still struggle to get a 1-2 pounds off each week. If I get less than 60 minutes a day of exercise I don't lose anything. That's ok, exercise is good for us.

I eat 3x a day as called for by my Kaiser plan and try to get most of my Protein from food though some days I have a protein shake.

Example from yesterday:

B. Protein Shake, (145 calories) 1/2 of a ISS protein wafer(105 calories)

L. 3 oz beef short ribs - 167 calories

D. 4 chicken wing drumets, 4 cashews - 194 calories

I had planned another protein shake but was too full.

My day was 72 protein grams.

I had carbs from calcium chews.

Hi, so you are basically getting 611 calories and doing 60 minutes a day exercise? That would kill me. I found I was happily losing 2lbs a week as I neared target on 1200/day plus a few hours a week walking. Maybe your metabolism has gone into starvation mode and is being really frugal. I would see your dietician. Your regime is really tough, you have my admiration :blink:

Wanted to update. Those feelings of forcing myself to eat have passed. food doesn't taste so awful anymore. I went through this phase for about 6 weeks and now it's passed. I am eating regular now and not feeling like I have to force it down. I still can only eat about 2 1/2 onces at best but at least now it tastes ok. We really do go through different phases with the sleeve, but it's all been great. I'm still losing very slowly but headed in the right direction.

Now if my weight loss would just speed up. :wink1:

Hi Lee! haven't talked to you forever!!

and you are kicking my butt with weight loss!! LOL and with your amount of exercise, you are probably in lots better shape! : )

good for you! :001_tt2: