Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid reflux *after* surgery?

So, does acid reflux get worse after surgery?

I know that obesity can cause acid reflux, and I have it. According to the endoscope, I don't have a hiatal hernia. Is my reflux likely to get worse after the surgery?

I also have heartburn and had horrible heartburn with the band.

This is also something that I have wondered about since this is irreversible,

I dont want to live with heartburn that bad again.

Maybe a good thing to post on the Dr's Board

I only got heartburn or reflux when I would overeat on really spicy food pre-band and pre-sleeve.

Since being sleeved, and taking Prilosec once daily, I have not had any reflux issues at all.

I never had heartburn pre-op. I didn't know I had a hernia until post-op when the surgeon told me. I take Protonix 2x a day and haven't had any problems since Day 3 post-op. For those first few days I was waking up with a mouthful of acid. I didn't have a clue what it was but I hated it. I just started sleeping on elevated pillows until I was sure the Protonix kicked in.

I had acid reflux (untreated) prior to VSG. During my VSG, Dr. Aceves repaired a hiatal hernia that I didn't even know that I had. I took the Nexium as recommended by Dr. Aceves post-op. That said, for the first few weeks, I did experience acid reflux daily. I coninued to take the Nexium & after the first few weeks the acid reflux resolved. After finishing the 3 months of Nexium (recommended by Aceves) I tried not taking a PPI, but did experience some very mild reflux so I decided to try an OTC, generic brand PPI. I still take one daily (20mg) & have absolutely no problems with acid. I plan to try to wean myself off of the PPI again soon.

Thanks for the info.

I'm hoping to avoid having to take medication for life. I have moderate reflux right now, and no hiatal hernia. Bottom line, however, is that obesity is worse and more dangerous than acid reflux, so if I have to take acid reducers, so be it.

Most doctors recommend an PPI post-op to protect the suture line in the stomach. Their is just not enough stomach left to store the acid, so if finds a place to go, usally up! I also received Nexium Mumps from Dr. Aceves post-op, though I upped the dose to 40 mg since I had pre-op acid issues. Untill the suture lines are healed be sure to take some sort of PPI, Prilosec OTC is a good one, but it must be taken daily or 2 times daily. It will not work as an immediate fix as it takes 24 hours to get up to theraputic leves. If you are still having issues with Prilosec talk to your doctor about a Nexium prescription.

I had a co-worker that ignored her acid production post-op Gastric Bypass and she ended up in the hospital due to a ruptured gastric ulcer. She was a nurse as well and knew better then to ignore her stomach "talking" to her.

Tracy (RN when not on vacation :blink:)

I still to take Nexium (20mg) for heartburn problem. Generic Nexium drug used to treat of gastroesophageal reflux. It is also helps to heal the damage (erosive esophagitis) that reflux disease can cause.

Generic Nexium relieves heartburn

Edited by Ammycin

I am almost 8 months post op and reflux was a major problem. After my 6 month follow up the PA sugested otc omeprazole. After three days on it I have been reflux free! I get it at Price club and its not that expensive. I take it once in the morning with my vitamens and I am good to go.

I'm hoping to eventually "wean off" the omeprazole (which is great, huzzah for generics!), but I won't even try until 6-12 mos out, and even then not without talking to the doctor first.

So if you have a hiatal hernia repair during WLS is that supposed to take care of the acid? Do you still need the PPI? I just can't seem to get a grasp on whether I need to be taking it. Does everyone have acid production?