Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Words OF Wisdom From those who know

So I keep on wanting to ask the same thing on every post so I figured that I would ask in one thread and that way all new comers could reference this thread.

FOR ALL THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN SLEEVED and been very successful::

What 5-10 things can you share about your diet, exercise or change in behavior that has yielded you such success?....(YES us soon to be sleeved peeps want what you have.) Every post really is so inspiring and any advice would be so amazing to hear. :)

1) Do not progress your diet just because you feel okay. The prescribed post-op diet is there for a reason. Your surgeon gave it to you because he's the surgeon, and he knows what he is doing. It's not just for sh*ts and giggles. Suck it up and stick to it.

2) They operate on your stomach, not your brain. If you have food issues, get help with those before, during and after surgery. No surgery is going to fix head hunger, nothing is going to solve compulsive eating. Deal with the mental aspect before surgery, don't try to do it post-op, it's a bigger battle than most are willing to accept.

3) Get in your Clear liquids. Yes, it sucks, but do it, your kidneys will thank you, and you'll feel better. Getting dehydrated sucks.

4) Pick your own journey. No one can have the same exact path. I chose a very strict low carb regimen. I had fabulous, quick success, but others may not want to mirror my results or path. That's okay, do it your way, and don't compare yourself to everyone else.

5) Don't freak out over stalls. They happen to probably 98% of patients. It's pretty common, it's just added stress and your body is not going to let go of weight if you're stressing over not losing anything for a week.

6) Enjoy the victories, but realize there could be struggles. Remain positive, and don't lose sight of the future.

7) Surround yourself with positive people. If you don't have a good support at home, find a support group locally.

8) Do not beat yourself if you decide to have a treat occasionally. Be kind to yourself, and your body.

9) Research, research, take your Vitamins, drink your Water.

10) Do not under any circumstance let failure enter your mind.

Finally, NEVER, I mean, NEVER trust a fart early out. Remember, liquids in, liquids out. Baby wipes are a good investment during that time post-op.

Take good quality Vitamins, and remind yourself that you have done something fabulous for your future health and life.

WOW. THANK YOU SO MUCH! It is really great advice all of it but especially what you said regarding getting the mental help you need pre op. That is a major concern for me and my family and I think I will make an apt this monday to start seeing the woman who works one day a week at my dr's office.

thank you for putting in the time to share with me and everyone else.

Most of us have some initial Hair loss but after around the 6 month mark the loss slows and regrowth does eventually occur (although I haven't seen it yet). There are hair Vitamins and Biotin, evening primrose oil, special shampoos and formulas that may help. Also in my case all of my fingernails (which were natural and slightly long) became brittle and cracked and broke--all of them, even my toenails became brittle, and cracked.

I second everything Tiffykins said. Just stick with the program! It's a little harder before surgery, but after surgery the sleeve will help you. Just eat slowly and listen to your stomach, not your head. You'll get there. Just be patient and good things will happen.

Dan S

weight.png

Sleeved: 3/15/2010, One of the best decisions I ever made.