Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know how common it is for sleep apnea to resolve (IE, be "cured") after WLS?

I've heard WILDLY varying statistics, from "it never goes away, it just gets better" to "80% of patients who get the sleeve don't need the CPAP anymore."

I'm guessing that the real answer is somewhere in between the two, but I don't want to just get my hopes up based on wishful thinking. Anyone know any hard numbers?

Anyone know how common it is for sleep apnea to resolve (IE, be "cured") after WLS?

I've heard WILDLY varying statistics, from "it never goes away, it just gets better" to "80% of patients who get the sleeve don't need the CPAP anymore."

I'm guessing that the real answer is somewhere in between the two, but I don't want to just get my hopes up based on wishful thinking. Anyone know any hard numbers?

I don't have any hard numbers, but I have an appointment with my doctor later today and I will let you know if he has any.

I have always just heard that if you are obese and lose weight that sleep apnea will often be reversed and I am hoping mine is when I get the sleeve done.

My sleep apnea significantly improved after the surgery. Now, 70 pounds lighter, I am able to sleep on my stomach in a bed again. Before, I was sleeping in an armchair. I have never been officially diagnosed-just going on my own symptoms.

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea after a sleep study before WLS and used a C-Pap machine nightly. After losing weight my sleep apnea is completely gone. I don't know any hard and fast facts about it, but I know it worked for me!

Don't know the scientific numbers. But my sleep apnea disappeared right after my sleeve. I have not used my CPAP machine since. I don't snore anymore according to my wife. No problem nor more for me. Yipee.

I just got the results of my sleep study the other day and I have mild obstructive sleep apnea. They want me to use a CPAP machine but I said I'd rather wait and see if it goes away after surgery. I've been dealing with it for a couple of years now (that's when it started) I figure a few more months won't matter.

We had a chart that shows the various benefits of weight loss surgery, and the number given for sleep apnea was 74-98% RESOLVED - (meaning it's GONE)

So I would be very optimistic if I were you!

wow! those numbers are great stoongal!! I hope I am in that percentage! I have only had my cpap for 3 weeks or so and still getting used to it. I am starting to feel better but I'm not ready to get rid of it yet. maybe in 6 months or so.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm SOOOO hopeful that my apnea will resolve. I've been diagnosed with apnea for 10 years now, and I'm used to sleeping with the machine, but it's a constant struggle -- every night, I fight with it, and the "good nights" where I lay down and sleep deeply through the night, are still rare.

I'm REALLY looking forward to good, healthy sleep after I drop the weight.

NB: Apparently playing the didgeridoo (specifically, the "circular breathing" that it requires) can significantly improve apnea. I may try this (even though I may feel silly). Anything for health, right?

I have never been through a sleep study, but when I slept pre surgery, I would inhale and let out a huge "steam train" sound. Now 50 lbs lost after surgery my wife tells me I am quiet. FWIW.

weight.png

I really hope my sleep apnea goes away! I have had terrible sleep quality for friggin ever, and while the CPAP helps me sleep better, it still interrupts my sleep and doesn't get me to 100%. Plus, I hate not being able to fall asleep anywhere but in my bed (and taking it on travel... ugh, takes up so much room!)

What I was wondering is did anyone have to have CPAP adjustments while actively losing because their CPAP pressure was now too strong?

I just had to have my CPAP pressure upped after a few years and about 35 lbs weight gain, so I am wondering if after losing that weight if I'll need to drop it back down again. Luckily, I was right there when they adjusted it in the office so I know I can do it at home (no special anything required other than knowing what buttons to press.) Just wondering what experiences everyone has had, and if there are any helpful clues or signs that your pressure is too high.

I don't have any hard facts either, but I also was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea about a year ago. In 45 mins I stopped breathing 46 times and sometimes for up to a minute. I no longer stop breathing and I no longer need my cpap since losing weight. That in itself is huge for me because I hated having that thing on my face at night...it was so uncomfortable.

I never had to have mine adjusted as I dropped enough weight to make a difference pretty quickly. So I went from full force use to not needing it anymore at all.

What I was wondering is did anyone have to have CPAP adjustments while actively losing because their CPAP pressure was now too strong?

Yes, I think you will absolutely need this. While we all hope to eventually ditch the CPAP, on "the way down," you'll still need it for a while, and if your pressure is too high, it can impede your sleep as much as if it's too low (in fact, if it's too high, it can even cause a kind of apnea known as central apnea).

The problem is that most insurance plans won't spring for a sleep study more frequently than 6 mos to a year. Even if they do, your copays may be exorbitant if you have crappy insurance like me (who says high tech companies all have great benefits?)

Fortunately, most CPAP's can be adjusted by their owner if you know the magic code (usually it involves holding down certain buttons while you power it up). You can search on Google for the info on how to set yours. Note that technically you're not supposed to do this, only the doctor is. Practically speaking, however, it's a necessity. My girlfriend has already had to lower her CPAP pressure 4 times since her November sleeving, and I bet she's nearly ready to go off the machine entirely.