Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Encouragement and/or a slap on the head!

OK. Here's the short version. Surgery on 3/17/10. Started at 290.1 on 3/4. On 3/16 (eve befor esurgery was 274.0), today (almost one month out I'm 258.4 (up from 257.2 yesterday).

I know I am doing everything right. I'm exercising (well walking at least for now), getting my Protein in and liquids. I just thought that in the beginning at least it would come off faster than this.

I know logically that I am taking in far FEWER calories than I normally would have and mathmatically I have to lose weight. I'm just frustrated. If it's coming off this slowly now what happens when I start eating real food.

I've got another 2 weeks on mushy food. I know it's only a tool and it's a lifestyle change...I was just hoping for more of a jump start to help motivate me.

Just need some encouragement please.....emotions are starting to take over..:)

Sam, over 30/lbs in a month is a fantastic start! Don't get discouraged. And don't weigh everyday. Those 1-2/lb variances will drive you crazy if you let them. It's much better to weigh once a week (or longer if you can do it). Then you'll be pleasantly surprised to see the scale move down, even just a little, than to be obsessing over it daily. I've been there, so I know what you're going through.

Also remember that our bodies are biologically programmed to conserve fat when deprived of calories. Just keep up with your Protein and exercise and your body will eventually get the message that you won't let it starve to death and it will release those fat cells. Before you know it, you're going to have one of those weeks when you lose 5/lbs and you'll be shocked and excited. You sound like you're doing everything right, so just keep at it. It WILL get better! :)

Couple of things:

1. Water weight and time of day make a huge impact. I can vary 3-4 lbs in one day depending on the time I weigh in. IF you need to weigh in daily then do it first thing after you wake up as the most consistent status. If you weigh in at night the amount of sodium types of meals etc will affect you a couple of pounds.

2. Please read Weight Loss Stall or Plateau Fluctuation in glycogen will affect the amount of Water in your body at any time. The article shows how you can actualy loose fat and still gain weight for glycogen reproduction and corresponding water weight.

3. If possible Weigh in less often and use measurements to judge your progress.

And yes 30 lbs is actually much better than some, your body is probably recouping a bit from the quick loss and you will start loosing again soon if you stick with it.

Edited by Swiftflow

Sam,

I had surgery on March 10, 2010, loss 20lbs. the first week and then another 6lbs.....all of a sudden I gain 4lbs back the 3rd week and I began to feel like a failure. Shook it off, "put my big girl panties on and dealt with it." Now its 5 wks later, I have lost 30lbs. It will happen, keep your chin up and SMILE!!!! Remember, its an adventure....lol

Well lookey here Sam, it takes time. And your body does stall a few weeks after surgery. And then you'll suddenly have this week in which every day you lose a lb and it is really fun. I did that and now I'm up a lb. But most people seem to lose 10-12 lbs a month so I think you've done great.

Weight loss didn't stop, your body just needs a minute to hold onto your fat. But with the calorie restriction it can't hold onto it forever.

Be patient, stop weighing. Weigh only one day a week and record it and you will see progress. If you weigh the other days that is just for fun.

Average loss is 10 lbs per month. You lost about 40.

GET OVER IT!!!!! NO MORE WHININ!!! YOU ARE WAY AHEAD OF THE PACK!!!

Just a newly sleeved gal here who is struggling not to get on the scale every day. One thing I do know....30 pounds lost is a heck of a lot better than 30 pounds gained...I don't mean to be trite...but before my surgery I had that desperate feeling the numbers would only go one way for me....up.

Sending you big cheers and encouragement!!

OK. Here's the short version. Surgery on 3/17/10. Started at 290.1 on 3/4. On 3/16 (eve befor esurgery was 274.0), today (almost one month out I'm 258.4 (up from 257.2 yesterday).

I know I am doing everything right. I'm exercising (well walking at least for now), getting my Protein in and liquids. I just thought that in the beginning at least it would come off faster than this.

I know logically that I am taking in far FEWER calories than I normally would have and mathmatically I have to lose weight. I'm just frustrated. If it's coming off this slowly now what happens when I start eating real food.

I've got another 2 weeks on mushy food. I know it's only a tool and it's a lifestyle change...I was just hoping for more of a jump start to help motivate me.

Just need some encouragement please.....emotions are starting to take over..:sad0:

don't be sad honey, your tummy is still swollen and your probably still retaining fluids. . . I have a friend who had her sleeve done about 1 week after me and to date she has only lost 25 lbs in 13 weeks. . . it's all about your own body. . . some bodies go faster and some bodies go slower. . don't be discouraged it will happen! Hell we are so restricted that we eat less then some birds! it will come off, just be patient and don't weight every day, only once a week. . . some of the gals and guys here weigh in only on mondays and then chat about it. . . i only weigh in at my doctor at my monthly meetings with him. . . i go again on the 21st. . . i can feel that i haven't lost much, but anything will be ok for me at this point. . . right now i'm losing very very slowly, but at least its coming off right and that is the important thing. . . .good luck my dear, you'll be ok. . . :tongue_smilie:

Well TxSam,

I am not sleeved and probably have no businesss chiming in here, but here's what I am looking forward to with the sleeve:

I have been a slave to the scale all my life. I have done exactly what you are doing.... stress and cry over .5lbs and allow a number to make me feel like a failure.

When I am sleeved I plan to lock my scale away. I will weigh myslf one time at each new dress size. I want to trust the sleeve and let go of my angst over numbers. I hope I can do it... its a crazy obsession of mine.; .5lbs up, .2lbs down. sometimes I even weigh multiple times a day even though I know the absolute futility of this.

I don't know if this makes sense but freeing myself from the numbers is one of the greatest advantages of the sleeve. There's no way it wont work if you use it.

Good luck and trust your sleeve

stacey