Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight after surgery

How does this happen?

Eating junk food, sucking down milkshakes, and not changing your lifestyle, eating habits.

No surgery is fail proof. It's just a tool, and we, as patients, have to make a complete lifestyle change to be successful longterm. The sleeve just gives the extra help we didn't have before.

I went on vacation for 6 days. I ate everything and literally anything. I went back home to Texas, and here in Florida we don't have half the choices that I had in Texas. Well, let me just say, I ate all my favorites and then some. I also drank A LOT one night out with friend. Guess what?, I gained 5 solid pounds. I got home on Monday, and I had lost that 5lbs by Sunday morning.

I was still consuming 1200-1400 calories, but the food choices I made the week I got home made all the difference in the world.

It's much better to eat a 140 calorie greek yogurt than it is a 140 calorie chicken tender drenched in honey and gravy.

I was still consuming 1200-1400 calories, but the food choices I made the week I got home made all the difference in the world.

It's much better to eat a 140 calorie greek yogurt than it is a 140 calorie chicken tender drenched in honey and gravy.

I am not disagreeing, but wonder why the choices make a difference if the calories are the same. Haven't we all been taught that a calorie is a calorie for weightloss/gain? I know the difference in nutrition, but why would you lose/gain from the same # of calories?

I am not disagreeing, but wonder why the choices make a difference if the calories are the same. Haven't we all been taught that a calorie is a calorie for weightloss/gain? I know the difference in nutrition, but why would you lose/gain from the same # of calories?

How many carbs/sugar are in a non-fat greek yogurt vs. a deep fried chicken tender covered in honey?

It's how our body metabolizes the calories, carbs and sugar. At least that is how my nutritionist explained it to me.

All I know is that I was still consuming about 1500 calories a day of fast food, and eating out with my family and friends for those 5 solid days in Texas, and then I came home, went back to my eating plan and normal sleeve regimen, and I lost the weight.

Plus, I was running around with family and friends all week between the 4 mile walk at the zoo one day, one day fishing walking around a lake, one day out on my mom's 25 acres wandering around with the kiddo for lord only knows how long, and last week, I came home sat on my butt with the exception of a few errands and one day of bowling.

So, all I can say is that food choices definitely contribute to my weight gain and loss.

If I consume 400 calories of dense Protein, wouldn't that be better than 400 calories of mashed potatoes and gravy, as it is metabolized differently by our bodies?

Edited by Tiffykins

Good ole Texas! Gotta love this state!

Seriously, I miss the state for many reasons, but here the food choices are very limited with the exception of fresh seafood. But, I know you'd be in heaven here with all the local fresh catch markets we have.

I really need to acquire a taste for more seafood stuff.

I miss Taco Bueno so much, well and Panda Express, and Jack in the Box. LOL

Don't you wish there really was a magic pill (or book) that could sort this all out for us? :thumbup:

Oh well, this tool is doing a good job for me. I still have over 30 pounds to lose until maintenance - I should "get it" by then! :blush:

Don't you wish there really was a magic pill (or book) that could sort this all out for us? :thumbup:

Oh well, this tool is doing a good job for me. I still have over 30 pounds to lose until maintenance - I should "get it" by then! :blush:

Maintenance is a pain in the butt.

Losing was much more enjoyable/easier for me. I have my yearly appointment coming up next month (it's a month early, but my surgeon is back from deployment YAY YAY) and I want to see him ASAP. So, I'll ask him his opinion on the calorie for a calorie thing. The nutritionist has once again changed on base since my last contact with them post gall bladder surgery so I'll try to swing by the new nuts office and see what this one has to say on the subject.

That's the only bad thing about military facilities, it's a lot of different staff rotating in and out.

Seriously, I miss the state for many reasons, but here the food choices are very limited with the exception of fresh seafood. But, I know you'd be in heaven here with all the local fresh catch markets we have.

I really need to acquire a taste for more seafood stuff.

I miss Taco Bueno so much, well and Panda Express, and Jack in the Box. LOL

I absolutely love seafood! I eat fish most of my meals. . . today i had salmon for lunch and catfish for dinner . . tomorrow will be catfish for lunch and crawfish for dinner . . i eat seafood at least 5-6 times a week . . . love it, love it. . . i don't get fast food seafood though, sounds too scarey:scared0: hehehe . . . by the way, your new profile picture looks really nice! I go to the doctor again on the 21st . . will be able to post another weight on the ticker!

I absolutely love seafood! I eat fish most of my meals. . . today i had salmon for lunch and catfish for dinner . . tomorrow will be catfish for lunch and crawfish for dinner . . i eat seafood at least 5-6 times a week . . . love it, love it. . . i don't get fast food seafood though, sounds too scarey:scared0: hehehe . . . by the way, your new profile picture looks really nice! I go to the doctor again on the 21st . . will be able to post another weight on the ticker!

I think of you every time I drive by the fresh catch market that is literally 1/2 mile from my house. We live 800 feet off the Gulf, and it's seafood heaven here.

People come from all over the place to eat here because it's a quiet little place that doesn't get a lot of touristy traffic that is found in Miami/Orlando/Keys area.

I have had a few things here, I just need to get more adventurous. I can say that I am not a fan of salmon without a lot of teriyaki dipping sauce. But, Mahi Mahi work well for me. Shrimp for me is all about the texture.

So, I'm trying to embrace the seafood haven I reside in currently, but my red meat and potatoes brain and love for Mexican food makes it very difficult.

The nutritionist at my support group this evening spoke about calories from Protein and calories from carbs. He said that the weight gain comes because of what carbs do to our insulin and blood sugar. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I know when I did Atkins, I was eating a ton of calories and I was still losing weight. Back then I could eat a huge steak which is all Protein, but was probably 1,000 calories.

I gained 8 lbs on my cruise and lost it in a week when I got home and went back to my regular eating habits. I sure do love my sleeve!

Heck, I gained 1/2 pound this week and only lost 4 pounds for Month 2 post-op.

I keep my calories between 500 and 600, haven't eaten over 30 carbs a day since surgery and get most of my Protein from food sources with an occasional Protein shake thrown in. I haven't had rice, potatoes, bread, crackers, Pasta etc since pre-op. My meals are all chicken, turkey, shrimp or fish based. I also eat 1 Morningstar Veggie Sausage patty for Breakfast occasionally. Occasionally I eat 4-6 oz of plain greek yogurt for a meal, or 1/3 cup of cottage cheese. I rarely eat eggs as I'm allergic to them. I've had a tiny tangerine 3 times in the last month and a tablespoon of pineapple packed in it's own juice 3x. I eat three times a day and never snack as required by my program. I walk several times a week and swim 1x a week.

When I used to do Atkins, eating the lower fat version, I'd have difficulty losing weight. I guess this is why my doc recommended the surgery.

So folks, it's possible to track every bite of food, exercise and still gain weight post-op. I figure something has to give. I'm open to advice and suggestions to get this party started.

Counting calories is not as useful as counting carbs. Carbs (simple carbs) do things that REALLY mess with our blood chemistry. I've had a couple of doctors and at least one nutritionist tell me that "simple refined carbs are the downfall of western civilization," and I think I believe them!

As to weight loss "plateaus," from what I understand they are normal and usually temporary. You have to trust the process and just keep doing what you should, and supposedly you'll get to losing again in no time. Women in particular can have hormonal shifts that can offset weight loss with Water weight to the tune of several pounds.

The moral of the story: do what you're supposed to do (eat modest portions, eat your Protein first, stay hydrated, exercise) and don't obsess over the scale. You WILL lose the weight.

From what I've seen, men are less prone to the stalls. *sigh*