Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about so many things

Sleeved on 3 apr and things went well with a few minor glitches. Eating mushies and struggling. Issues: 1) I Am hungry all the time. That was the one aspect of the sleeve that was so attractive. With the g receptors removed, it was going to be easier to moderate. My surgeon told me a had about a 5 oz stomach left, he removes a little less on lightweights. What if there are too many receptors left? What if I can't control this hunger? Grazing all the time is going to lead to alot of calories. Did I go through all this to end up with a faulty tool? I feel full after 2-4 spoonfuls (I just had 1/4 c cottage cheese with 1.5 strawberries) but nowhere near satisfied. Then, soon after, I'll feel hungry again. I have alot of "mouth hunger", for lack of a better phrase, and crave intense flavors. 2) This should be a little thing, but is so difficult for me to do: not drinking with meals. I feel like I'm stranded in a desert, like I'm parched if I don't drink while eating. I resist for as long as I can, but mostly I fail. It is a lifelong habit I'm going to have to struggle to overcome. To me, it actually feels uncomfortable (in my mouth). I know 2 can lead to 1 because it flushes the food from my stomach faster and therefore the full feeling doesn't last as long. Anyone else have problems with this? Any tips? 3) just my Protein Shakes are 2-300 each. 3 meals plus 2 shakes is going to be 1000 cals easy? Any sample diets for this stage? Hard for me to see how to stick to 4-600. That's quite a bit, but it felt good to get it off my chest. Thanks.

It's going to be okay. Ghrelin is not magically gone for all patients post-op. It's stored in our bodies, also it's produced in our pancreas, so it doesn't necessarily go away forever. It'll take some time for your body to adjust.

Are you on a PPI like Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix? If not, you may want to talk to your surgeon. Some people experience false hunger because our stomachs are overproducing acid for the new tiny tummy.

The drinking while eating early out will definitely flush mushies/purees through faster so you may not have much satiety with your meals.

I used a couple of different guidelines post-op during my losing stage.

I stuck with no more than 30grams of carbs, 60+Protein and 600-800 calories per day. I did not use shakes/protein drinks so I struggled with Protein intake until I got to puree/mushy stage.

Here's one guideline from Cornell University:

www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

Here is another guideline:

http://www.iabsobesitysurgery.com/Media/Forms/SleeveDietGuide.pdf

Try some greek yogurt, refried Beans with a little cheese, and soft cheeses that may stay with your longer. I know the drinking while eating is tough to break. I had to do it with the band so it hasn't been an issue with me for the sleeve.

Hang in there, it does get better.

Tiff....just curious but why did you not use the Protein shakes/drinks?

Is it just that you don't care for them?

I tried over 20 different brand, flavors, and types (whey, soy) either I could not tolerate the texture or they made me throw up. So, I never used them because it was causing me more trouble than benefit.

I haven't used Protein shakes either...but I didn't do refried Beans in the mushy stage because they felt like they STUCK. I was constantly hungry during the mushy stage, I ate cream of potato Soup for almost a 2 months, I would try some solids and go back to my soup...and when people asked what I was doing to loose weight I told them I was starving--and it was TRUE. Not everyones sleeve is a walk in the park, sometimes you just have to deal with your stomach healing and eat what you can, even if your NOT taking in 70 Protein a day.

Around month 3 you'll begin to tolerate SOOOO much more and the fullness will set in, the first meat I held down well was grilled catfish--it is still my favorite.

It will get better, being hungry is very common during mushy's, :party4:

I am out almost 4 months and still feel hunger (big time hunger too). . .only i ignore it most times. . . i'll eat my laughing cow cheese (2 wedges) for Breakfast about 7am . . lunch is at about 2pm and i'll have 2 or 3 tuna patties, or 4 oz of something . . . then on my way home from work i'll have 2 sergento's pepper jack cheese sticks . . . at home for dinner about 7pm i'll have 4 - 6 oz of whatever there is. . . and that's it. . . in between meals i drink alot of Water . . . i'm sure i surpass the 64oz requirements. . . my calories are anywhere from 750 - 900 or so per day depending on the day. . . but yes, i ignore the hunger pangs all the time or else this sleeve thingy would never work for me, sad but true. . .

So wait, how common is this "hungry all the time" feeling?

One of the things that really sold me on the sleeve was all the people saying "you're never hungry!" And yet it's sounding like a portion of patients have the opposite: they're hungry ALL the time. That does NOT sound like such an ideal situation to me.

Anyone know?

One of the things that really sold me on the sleeve was all the people saying "you're never hungry!" And yet it's sounding like a portion of patients have the opposite: they're hungry ALL the time. That does NOT sound like such an ideal situation to me.

Anyone know?

I don't have specific facts, but I think the majority of us are not hungry. Some mistake acid or head hunger for real hunger. And, unfortunately, there is a portion of sleevers who do get hungry. (And, I think that's why you hear more from those people - it's just not fair for them! :wink0:)

I can honestly say that I have not felt any of the hunger I felt before surgery. I used to be hungry all the time. Now, my head is often hungry, but luckily, just a bite or two will satisfy. I do know when I need food because I get a slight weak feeling or a rumble in my tummy. It's very hard to explain because it is not the same rumble that I was used to having.

Since I'm not one of the sleevers who gets hungry, I really can't speak to that. Hopefully, it's like my head hunger and a bite or two takes care of the real hunger.

Yeah, I'm planning on having to use my head to judge my food needs after surgery. As in, I'll have to set alarms and schedules to make sure I eat enough and drink enough. That was what I was expecting and signed up for.

I just got nervous seeing a bunch of people saying they were always hungry. That sounded (to me) like my experience with dieting, and pretty much a recipe for noncompliance.

Anyone know?

I still never get true hunger. I realize I need to eat something because it's been a few hours since I consumed anything solid. I'm in a different stage than most though so my experience is a little different. Now that I'm trying to maintain, I actually eat more often, but that is only because I am doing my very best to maintain my current weight +/- 5lbs.

Also, activity levels of different patients can contribute to hunger levels. For example, I lead a very light active life, I haven't been working out, therefore I'm not burning a lot of my calories. For someone that works, on their feet, walking, lifting, plus working out, they are going to get hungry more often as they are burning more calories than I am sitting at home folding laundry, or doing light housework.

When I was working out, I could feel that my body needed fuel. I learned to truly listen to my body, and I fed it appropriately. I dealt with head hunger with the band so that hasn't been much of a battle for me with the sleeve.

Also, I've read more times than not, that patients that are not prescribed a PPI/acid reducer, they comment on hunger. I had this situation happen post-op and immediately asked veterans what was going on. It was false hunger caused by acid overproduction in my sleeve. I would eat and within an hour, I had this weird twinge, funny feeling in my stomach. My surgeon prescribed Prilosec 20mg once daily, taken 1 hour before eating anything. I have not had any issues since being prescribed the PPI.

yes, i do work out and at work i move around like a mad woman! today was one of those "I don't have time to think" days and when i got lunch at 2 pm I didn't realize i was hungery. . . but i sure was, so i had my 2-3 tuna patties and was overly full. . . then i left work at 5pm and ate some cheese sticks on route home. . . felt pretty full and didn't have supper. . . feel pretty good. . . but i guess i'm one of those unfortuates who feels the hunger pangs. . . and they are not in my head. . . i stop and listen to my tummy to make sure it's not that and most times it's not. . . but i guess the more i ignore it the sooner i'll get used to it. . . actually this might sound stupid, but i love the "empty hunger pang" feelings. . .makes me feel like I'M the one in control and not my stomach. . . but good luck!

Hi Thinoneday. Those tuna Patties sound great! mmmm...will have to see if there is a recipes thread! I get hungry in between meals. It's certainly not head hunger. It's a hollow, sick feeling in my stomach. I was hoping that Nexum would fix it but it hasn't :( I have been taking it for four days now and have no improvement. Will this go away? I should mention that I am only 3 weeks out.

I'm one of those who experiences hunger...all the time..It usually hits me within 2 hours after eating. I've been on Pepcid since day one, even tried switching to Prilosec and went back to the Pepcid. I still have hope that it will get better after the 3 mos mark (next week). I feel like I'm eating constantly which is what I was hoping the sleeve would eliminate, so pretty bummed about it. It did get somewhat better when I removed some of the carbs I was eating (banana, yogurt). I know it's not head hunger. I just thought this was going to be a little easier, but it still takes a lot of discipline, planning, willpower and exercise to keep losing.

Hi Thinoneday. Those tuna Patties sound great! mmmm...will have to see if there is a recipes thread! I get hungry in between meals. It's certainly not head hunger. It's a hollow, sick feeling in my stomach. I was hoping that Nexum would fix it but it hasn't :o I have been taking it for four days now and have no improvement. Will this go away? I should mention that I am only 3 weeks out.

I'm almost 4 months out now and still have hunger pangs (real ones, not head hunger) mine never went away either, but most times i've learned to ignore it. . . actually i don't mind the pangs anymore cause it shows that I'm in control and not my tummy anymore! Weird huh? Tuna patties are really easy to make, I don't follow a receipe, I'm one of those that throw stuff together and good luck type of thing. . . you get 2 cans of tuna in Water, drain it really good, put it into a bowl, add 2 eggs, 1/2 a tube of ritz sodium/fat free ritz crackers (crush them up into crumbs), thinly sliced up celery stalk, diced up onion (about 1/4 of the onion) couple hits of Mrs. Dash Original, couple hits of curry powder (optional) and some black pepper. Mix everything up really good. This should be a wetish mixture so don't worry if it looks watery. Heat up some oil in a frying pan, form the tuna into patties like a homemade hamburger (not too thin, those will break) fry them until they are brown on each side. I put them onto paper towels after they are cooked just to get rid of some of the oil drippings. . . they are pretty good. Make sure you don't turn them too soon or they may break, gotta be really good a brown before you do turn ok? Let me know how you like em. . .

Edited by thinoneday

It's going to be okay. Ghrelin is not magically gone for all patients post-op. It's stored in our bodies, also it's produced in our pancreas, so it doesn't necessarily go away forever. It'll take some time for your body to adjust.

Are you on a PPI like Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix? If not, you may want to talk to your surgeon. Some people experience false hunger because our stomachs are overproducing acid for the new tiny tummy.

The drinking while eating early out will definitely flush mushies/purees through faster so you may not have much satiety with your meals.

I used a couple of different guidelines post-op during my losing stage.

I stuck with no more than 30grams of carbs, 60+Protein and 600-800 calories per day. I did not use shakes/protein drinks so I struggled with Protein intake until I got to puree/mushy stage.

Here's one guideline from Cornell University:

www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

Here is another guideline:

http://www.iabsobesitysurgery.com/Media/Forms/SleeveDietGuide.pdf

Try some greek yogurt, refried Beans with a little cheese, and soft cheeses that may stay with your longer. I know the drinking while eating is tough to break. I had to do it with the band so it hasn't been an issue with me for the sleeve.

Hang in there, it does get better.

Tiffany - about the PPI - our ins. will cover the Prilosec, or whichever one the doctor prescribed for me when I was in Dallas last week, but the co-pay is $50, they did say I could get an OTC chewable if our ins. didn't cover it or if it the co-pay was high....I cannot remember which one it is, but what do you think about the OTC, will it be ok?