Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is this pain? Help!

I have had my VSG for 3 weeks. Tonight I had a small amount of Macarroni and cheese. About five minutes after I ate I got a terrible "ice cream headache" feeling - really bad, felt the need to burp a lot and had a tightness and pain in my chest. What does that mean? Did I eat too much? Has anyone had this? Why would I get an ice cream headache from eating something that is not cold? How do people normally feel if they eat too much or too fast or don't chew well enough? I don't know what I did wrong but whatever I did - it hurts!

I haven't had the brain freeze part - could it be more light headed or nausea? How fast did you eat? Did you eat the last two bites when you were already feeling a little full?

If I eat too much or eat something for the first time, the symptoms are pretty similar. Light headed, nausea, stomach pain. And lots of burping and tummy gurgling!

I haven't had Pasta yet so don't know if that could have done it. I can eat shredded cheese on other foods but can't eat string cheese. It didn't settle at all.

If it is "just" too fast, too much or a new food - the discomfort will go away. Sometimes it takes me close to an hour tho. Try to relax, get a cold wash cloth, walk around. I even will take a few sips of cold Water. In my mind it might help loosen it up and pass thru the stomach.

Use your best judgement. Seems late for a complication but ya never know.

an afterthought... if you did eat too much, it may not all be fitting into your stomach and would be backed up into your esophagus. That could account for the chest pain. Be careful and don't wait too long to call your doctor if it doesn't go away.

Hope you feel better soon!

Edited by pnw218

This still happens to me sometimes and it hurts. It will pass. I haven't had the headache pain but have had that tightness and pain in my chest and it does pass. I am reminded to really be conscious of how fast I eat and how important it is to chew my food well. Three weeks out is still quite early. I'm almost 7 months out and tonight I had "chinese" some small shrimp with string Beans and spare ribs...the rib meat was too heavy. I bit into a wonton from the Soup and spit it into my napkin, (too heavy). I filled up too fast because I ate too fast and felt that uncomforable tight feeling in my chest...just wished I ate yogurt instead! The Pasta part of the mac and cheese may have swelled once inside of you and that could be painful for a while until it breaks down and passes through.

Edited by LAN2k

Hello... I am only 11 days post op, and granted I took my tape off too soon and have hard, red incisions with oozing.. but ultimately when I eat the wrong thing it is the back end that responds. That is what I thought slimes were... kinda like that.

I have had a pain and chest pain for a bit too... but it goes away, it is a reminder that *you had surgery, dingy! Yes, I did... So, I take a while before taking another bite and I wait to see. :tongue_smilie:

Have a great weekend! Jen

Hi! I am three weeks post-op and ate macoroni and cheese just last night! It came right back up. I believe I ate too fast (sometimes I forget) and got bubbles in my stomach. Not fun at all!

Jeanine

Sounds like me last night: I am 3 weeks out also. I had a few spoonfuls of a yam (mushie) and not a good thing. It felt stuck and oh gosh - I thought what have I done? It was a painful "wait out" period - and I just want to drink Water to "get it down" but of course that would make it worse. Just have to wait it out but it teaches me to not eat so fast. I'm trying to remember that my stomach is tiny tiny and can hold only so much - it's that "head hunger" that gets me into trouble. I still have to readjust my brain.

I am still on liquids, but my body's weird response is if I drink too quickly I end up having that tight chest tummy feeling, then I ALWAYS sneeze! Weird.

The sneezing comment is interesting, I find when I have been eating I get plugged up and start sneezing. Makes no sense to me at all and can't figure out why. It is really werid.

Diane

I am still on liquids, but my body's weird response is if I drink too quickly I end up having that tight chest tummy feeling, then I ALWAYS sneeze! Weird.

My Doctor mentioned before I had surgery that one of the symptoms of being full was sneezing or getting a runny nose. He said they have no idea what causes it but many sleeve patients get it. Some will hiccup when full. I do all 3. lol