Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Straws? Can anyone shed some light for me?

Well yay!!!! If I only I could meet you in Texas and we could go for a Sonic run together!!!

My first week I poured all my liquids into one of those medicine tops that come with cough syrup...i was only allowed to drink that much at a time, every 10 minutes I was pouring water...was RETARDED! When I went back to work I started sipping from a straw and haven't stopped...I drink down (2) 32 oz of Water daily from my sonic foam cups...makes me not think about it so much. I find a handfull of nuts helps me drink more, the sea salt gets me thirsty and provides some protein...

You know I never asked Dr. Aceves about a straw. But every time I got my liquids in the hospital there was a straw on my tray so I thought that he thought it was fine. I have been using one since day 2 post op.

Kathy

I was reading the board last night and came across one of the long diet links that had been posted here. I can't remember which one it was. It said straws are a no no. Can anyone tell me why please? Is it because of not being able to control the "gulping" of drinks and overpowering your stomach w/ liquid?

Right now I'm in the learning/reading phase. I had my first appointment on Wed and my surgeon won't touch me until I've quit smoking for 3 months so I'm looking at a surgery date of sometime in July. *sigh*

I've already got my appointments for all the pre-screenings with the different drs..psych eval & medical so I'm at least on the path now.

My doctor told me I had to stop smoking a month in advance and then he said I could not pick it back up.....oh well!!!

My doctor told me I had to stop smoking a month in advance and then he said I could not pick it back up.....oh well!!!

Well I've been quit now since Sunday night/Monday morning. LOL It's the darndest thing that it's been relatively easy going except for a few cravings here & there. I guess I'm ready to make all these positive changes in my life?? Crazy =o) I thought I'd have a worse time of it this time around.

I must recant, I have realized that when I drink my Water with a straw I ALWAYS end up sliming. It is disgusting. I think maybe further out, but I can't do it yet!!!

I must recant, I have realized that when I drink my Water with a straw I ALWAYS end up sliming. It is disgusting. I think maybe further out, but I can't do it yet!!!

I'm so sorry - straws have helped me tremendously in getting in all my liquids. Maybe it will just take a little more time.

I have used a straw very early out, and I have not had any trouble getting my fluids in. I think you just need to make sure you don't gulp air with it.

Glad to read this! I have always drank a lot of Fluid during the day and used a straw to drink it. Only 5 days out but was having a real problem getting enough liquid down by mouth. Always felt it "hang" so I just decided to try the straw anyway. MUCH easier for me to get my liquids down and I did not have any gas symptoms. Since you are drinking your liquids with meals and stop 30 min before and after your "pouch" shouldn't be affected by it anyway.

My surgeon said no straws because it makes you gulp--too much liquid too fast. I'm not going to use straws because I respect my surgeon's advice. I want to do everything "right". I know other doctors may advise otherwise.

I use a straw all the time. Every time I go out to eat, I ask for Water with a straw. I use a straw at home. You can use a straw as long as you aren't gulping air when using a straw. It's not hard to do that.

I too use a straw now. I was told about the air thing, and not to use a straw, so I didn't use one for the first 2 months. Then I found out I did just fine. It's just making sure you don't suck the air down with the liquid. I suck it into my both and exhale the air. I have had zero problems. I am so glad, because my preference is using a straw.

Okay, I tried with a route 44 sonic ice Water (I love their ice, weird I know!) I had no notable difference inhaling air with our without it and I end up drinking more, so...to each his own!

Sonic has THE best ice!!! I started using a straw about 10 days out and have never had a problem! I also drink more using a straw. I'm five weeks out and I guess at about four weeks I noticed that I don't have to "sip" any longer, I can't just gulp but I am taking a more normal drink.

Sonic should pay for advertising on this site!! Isn't that feeling of finally being able to drink the best? The first few weeks I was post op and couldn't drink normally were upsetting to me. It is so nice to get to quench your thirst.

I wish I had a Sonic here! There is one by my house in Arizona but I have never seen one in Oregon.