Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pureed/mushey food options

Thanks, this is gonna be a rough phase for me I fear, but I am so ready to have something other than a Protein Shake that I'm sure I'll eat things that otherwise I would have been unwilling to try!

On that note, I had picked up some white chicken chili (Hormel) and noticed it was a little too chunky for my soft food stage, so I pureed it. It looked like baby food--but it was so freakin good!

I did that same thing with a Wendy's chili when I was on that phase, I was obsessed about Wendy's chili for some reason and now that I could actually have it I'm not interested at all.

My post-op handout from my surgical center was WAY too aggressive about what I could eat in this phase, I think. It said melted cheese and mashed potatoes were okay -- I ate some and it damn near killed me.

From now on, nothing that I can't blend until I have the okay for mushy foods and/or solids.

Weird, I did the mashed potatoes as well and my stomach was like 'whaaaaaaaaat's this?' .. but I am onto soft foods and it gets way better. I really didn't puree anything .. it was too gross for me .. I stayed on the Protein Shakes, yogurt, etc. Listen to your body. I didn't follow the handout too closely but rather as a guide. I substituted a lot of things.

Yeah, I figure everyone heals differently, and there's no problem in being more conservative than the guidelines say, as long as I'm getting in all my water/vitamins/protein, right?

As you say, learning to listen to my body has been the most important thing. It's been saying "too much" for a couple of days now, and I feel like I JUST figured that out. Back to slushy/slurry things for a few days before I try again. Theoretically on Saturday I'm cleared for "mechanical soft" (mac 'n cheese, yum!) but I'm still going to hold off for a few days.

My PW nutritionist told me that after 5 weeks or so, I am clear to have whatever I want. I really don't feel that way even though their guidelines introduce different foods at each stage. I am very off of anything sweet, breads or carbs and I definitely loved carbs before! Your body will tell you what is working and what isn't. It's hard to imagine the stomach being so small but take a look at the palm of your hand next time while you are eating .. there is the equivalent of the intake your stomach can handle.

I am completely fine as long as my Protein source goes in first and I eat slow. I am nibbling 5-6 times a day.

I read your other post - sorry to hear about your challenges. I have never had an issue with acid before surgery or after so I am not dealing with that but I can imagine your discomfort. Don't move ahead to any of the new foods until you think you are ready. You will go back to slushy any time you aren't feeling well so it's like a comfort zone for your stomach. Yep, Water, Vitamins and Protein .. all priorities every day. Before surgery I used to drink about 10-12 glasses of Water a day (I love it) but I can barely get in 6 or 7 cups now and that is with constant sipping. Take care .. things will settle down soon.

My PW nutritionist told me that after 5 weeks or so, I am clear to have whatever I want. I really don't feel that way even though their guidelines introduce different foods at each stage. I am very off of anything sweet, breads or carbs and I definitely loved carbs before! Your body will tell you what is working and what isn't. It's hard to imagine the stomach being so small but take a look at the palm of your hand next time while you are eating .. there is the equivalent of the intake your stomach can handle.

I am completely fine as long as my Protein source goes in first and I eat slow. I am nibbling 5-6 times a day.

I read your other post - sorry to hear about your challenges. I have never had an issue with acid before surgery or after so I am not dealing with that but I can imagine your discomfort. Don't move ahead to any of the new foods until you think you are ready. You will go back to slushy any time you aren't feeling well so it's like a comfort zone for your stomach. Yep, Water, Vitamins and Protein .. all priorities every day. Before surgery I used to drink about 10-12 glasses of Water a day (I love it) but I can barely get in 6 or 7 cups now and that is with constant sipping. Take care .. things will settle down soon.

Thanks for the kind words. I've been having problems with acid reflux for a long time (although I only recently realized that -- I thought it was allergies because it just made me cough a lot). It's just that since the surgery it's gone up a thousand times. I know that acid reflux is really common for sleevers (you're lucky!), and since I already had it, I'm not surprised. However, I really think that I've been pushing my new sleeve too hard and it sorta pushed back.

So yeah, I'm going back to slushy things for a while, partially to let any damage I may have just done heal, and partially so that I can "catch up" a little with where I'm supposed to be in terms of eating.

I'm having no problems getting in my 64 oz of water and 60 g of protein a day (I've been averaging about 100 oz water and 70-80 g protein). It's just this darned acid (and today, indigestion) that's been bugging me.

You are allowed to take Maalox if that is something that helps you but no Tums apparently .. it's Calcium carbonate and they want you to take calcium citrate.

Wow .. lots of Protein and water! Good for you. I am not a huge Protein person - never was - but I am making do and a bit thankful the portions are small.

I think I read you were taking the PPI drug. I wasn't going to take it at all but Dr. Landerholm waved his finger at me and told me to be a good patient .. I need it for about 3 months. I don't feel a difference on it or not so I hope it's helping you. Hope tomorrow is better for you.