Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

stomach cramps after drinking

Hi,

I'm 9 days out and having a problem that is starting to freak me out. Everything was going well until yesterday afternoon when the abdominal cramps after drinking began. Now every time I take a drink, weather it be Water or a Protein drink, when the liquid gets to my stomach I have these weird, painful, abdominal cramps that come in waves. I tried taking gas x strips, phillips milk of magnesia, and reglan but nothing has helped. Has anyone else had this? Could it be a leak? I'm not nauseated nor do I have a fever.

thanks

I am having this same problem. It sucks. I am only 2 days out and every time I take a sip of anything hot or cold and a lot even when I am not drinking anything at all I get these stomach spasms. They are very painful and are keeping me from getting all my Fluid. I am only getting about 10 ounces which is not good. I had this problem before once because of a medicine my doctor had prescribed. To counteract the spasms and keep me on the medication he gave me a smooth muscle relaxer called dicyclomine. It is like a muscle relaxer but for you GI tract. IBS patients take it a lot. It really helped me last time but the nurses at my bariatric surgeon's office said he wouldn't prescribe it. But maybe you can try your doctor. I am sorry you have these spasms at 9 days out. I sure hope I am able to get rid of them before then. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I called my doctor and am now waiting for a call back. I'm getting worried because I've only been able to get in about 8oz of Water and 1/3 of a Protein Drink in today. I don't want to end up with dehydration or malnourished. I'm so confused as to why this is happening now, the last 8 days have been pretty much trouble free. I'm starting to have those "what have I done to myself?" thoughts.

If you had a leak, you would know it. The pain is excruciating, and chronic. You would probably have a fever, chronic nausea, rapid heartbeat, and constant pain.

This is a normal side effect of the sleeve, and it seems to happen with several of us. It lasted over 2 weeks for me when I was released to drink/eat.

Strictures can happen, but the stomach cramping is very normal especially early out.

Trying sipping warm liquids. Decaf/herbal teas, broths, etc seemed to help me when I had this issue. And, even to this day, when the humidity is high here in Florida, I still prefer to drink warm drinks because it seems to help relax my sleeve.

I hope your surgeon calls you back soon so you can get some answers.

I am six days post-op and I am having the same problem. Sipping warm Soup and tea help sometimes. I got up last night with the same stomach cramping. Since the pain isnt severe and I dont have fever I am assuming the sleeve is ok although I did have some moments of panic. I really hope it settles in the next week or so for all of us!

Thanks the replies everyone. It feels really good to know that this is a common problem. I did talk to my doctor and he didn't seem too concerned. He thinks the cramps are probably just part of the healing process. If it doesn't get better by Monday I can go in for a swallow test. I hope it does so I don't have to drink that awful test liquid crap again!

I will try the warm drinks tonight and hope that helps. I'm finding life with the sleeve to be a different experience everyday. Three days ago I got in four 16oz Protein drinks and 36oz of Water, and it all went down super easy. Now today because of the cramps, I've only been able to get in 75% of a Protein Drink and about 10oz of Water. I hope these cramps go away soon...

You'll be ok Andrea! I had the same thing and was afraid of eating and drinking, but like most of us here, i sipped on hot liquids like tea or warm milk and it helped alot. . . cold drinks cause cramps though so be careful. . . just sip slowly you'll get used to it soon. .

I had same thing. Still do 30 days out. (WOW has it been a month already) IMHO it is all part of the healing process. Enjoy your new life..

I just had my 1st post op visit today and had the same cramping feeling after drinking fluids. My surgeon prescribed a medication to take temporary, Bentyl. He should it should be relived within 2 weeks. I have not been having enough fluids as well so will be relieved to take this.

I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm 6 days out and at best I get in 15 oz of anything. :( I know it's not good, trust me. I'm definitely going to try warmer drinks and Soups and see if that works! :laugh0: Thanks everyone! Good luck on your journey! :blink:

I had the same thing. Lasted about 2 weeks. The spasms were really bad. I had medicine that the doctor gave me that I took and it helped tremendously. I think it was called Levsil?..... Now.....pain free. It's temporary. I promise.

I'm 5 days post op and I'm experiencing the same cramping. Uhg

Me too. 4 days out. But mine happens even without drinking

I had surgery 5 days ago and have the same issue. I think mine is from swallowing air. I'm trying different ways of swallowing to prevent the issue. We have to figure out our new normal.

Hello everyone, IM 28 days out and have had two episodes of sever cramp/spasm in my upper stamach..I have to not move and lay down and just breath. Mine went away in about 5 min..but man it was a sharp feeling.

Sounds like its common..

starting weight 230 now 28 days latter 204 : )