Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

that I hadn't heard in...oh, 15 years. :)

I went to get my daughter from school and I went inside to get her. Usually i just pick her up in the pick up line and I don't get out of the car. It had been a while since I had seen the teachers and staff (and I consider myself close to them-I volunteered there a lot before my son was born). Anyway, the director came out and saw my son and said "Oh, wow! Look how big he has gotten!" I said "I know, he is my big boy." Then she looked up and gave me that up and down look and said "Oh, my! Look how LITTLE you have gotten!" I must have looked behind me because I didn't think she was talking to me! :) She asked me how I was losing the weight-I told her diet and exercise. She gave me a huge hug and told me....drumroll...>I was her inspiration. :) She just thought it was great that I was balancing so much and losing weight. That made me feel good.

It gets better.

I then went outside to buckle the kids in the car. I saw one of my daughter's teachers from last year and she looked at me and said "You are getting so SKINNY." SKINNY? REALLY? ME? No freaking way!

It was a decent day if you can't tell. :)

that is awesome!! Congrats!!

I look forward to that day!!

YAY YAY I love when people haven't seen you in awhile, and they are genuinely happy for you. Many congrats on your success thus far, you're amazing! ! !

That's a great story! Just one thing...

I wish we were all more willing to say "I had surgery" when people asked us how we lost the weight. If we could all have the courage to say that, it might start to take the stigma away from WLS. As long as we hide the fact, I think we're still buying into the idea that weight loss is a matter of courage and determination, and not what it really is -- a medical issue.

What a great day! I can't wait to hear those same things - only a few comment. But, my husband is my biggest cheerleader & that is encouraging.

AWESOME for you!

AWESOME!!!! You enjoy every second of the compliments!!

I wish we were all more willing to say "I had surgery" when people asked us how we lost the weight. If we could all have the courage to say that, it might start to take the stigma away from WLS. As long as we hide the fact, I think we're still buying into the idea that weight loss is a matter of courage and determination, and not what it really is -- a medical issue.

I'm with you. I think it sends a better message about WLS, and this is nothing to be ashamed of.

I don't have a problem telling some people, but I am not willing to tell others. I have my reasons and I don't feel bad about it one bit.

I think what it all comes down to is that some people are comfortable telling and some are not!! I'm a big blabbermouth so I tell anyone who wants to listen. I also understand that there are people that do not want to go into detail with family members, much less strangers! We all have to agree to disagree on this one, there is no "better way" just the one that works best for you!!

Hugs everyone!

I agree 100%, I always say exactly how I did it because I remember how freaking bad I felt when I was getting fatter and other people were losing weight by 'will power'. I think it's more helpful to others to understand that people have this surgery and it works. I couldn't give a flying wottsit if they think I have taken an easy way out, but most people are very supportive in my experience. So be loud and proud people!! :scared0::thumbup::sad0:

Hey fellow sleevers and sleevettes. Lets remember. This is NOT easy. Its not easy to make the desicion, jump thru the hoops, fight with ins co and/or self pay. Its not easy to have the operation, nor is the recovery. Its not easy to go thru the post-op diet nor to be exhausted for weeks after. What it is is a sucessful way to loose weight. This has been more challenging then any diet I did. Thats because I could (and did) bail out when it got too tough. No bailing out on this. This is not for the weak. Its for those who know what they have to do to be sucessful. Its for winners!!

Tom

Congratulations on the awesome comments and the ability to enjoy them! I find myself on the other end of it, when I get a compliment I get REALLY uncomfortable, like I just want to hide away. I know its bizarre like me, LOL.