Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Speak up those with leaks & infections!

As sad as it is, typically when someone shares a bad experience, or even a differing opinion, people get their panties in a twist, and want to attack the person and point an ugly finger when they forget they have 3 fingers pointing back at themselves. I had it happen when I started talking about my band complications and was pretty told that it was my fault, that I didn't have willpower, that I wasn't using my tool, blah blah blah. I was shocked because my complications were definitely not related to my habits. I had a flipped port from very early on, and complications just kept coming at me. Everyone likes to play the blame game until the situation personally affects them or a loved one.

It happens. We've all read about it. The ones that have had genuine good experiences are always praised and never harassed. Let one person post a bad experience, and they are scolded for posting or accused of being paid by another surgeon to make some other surgeon look "bad".

I'm all for openness, and all the pettiness to be dropped. Unfortunately, some people can't see past their own nose to realize that sometimes things are not always daisies and rainbows.

Why does this issue have to be secretive and remain in PM's? Why can't we post the GOOD and BAD about our doctors if we had direct experiences that might help others?

Although many negative medical experiences are simply bad luck or coincidence, some things could be avoided with proper care and procedures and might fall in the category of negligence. These are the kinds of things people need to know about so they can make informed decisions. I think this is particularly important when we are dealing with outside countries where the doctors and medical facilities are not under the jurisdiction of our residential law, or where things may not be as regulated as we are used to. The only recourse we have in these cases is to help someone down the road with knowledge.

This is an open, public forum and I think something's wrong somewhere when certain things need to be said behind closed doors.

I agree. People pay to obtain the record of a surgeon, his credentials and if their have been any lawsuits against them. When someone suffers as a result of a surgeons negligence or mishap or there are circumstances in a facility that increase risk of infection, it is important that others who are in the process of finding the right surgeon have accurate information...the good along with the bad. The more information one has the better.

Why does this issue have to be secretive and remain in PM's? Why can't we post the GOOD and BAD about our doctors if we had direct experiences that might help others?

Although many negative medical experiences are simply bad luck or coincidence, some things could be avoided with proper care and procedures and might fall in the category of negligence. These are the kinds of things people need to know about so they can make informed decisions. I think this is particularly important when we are dealing with outside countries where the doctors and medical facilities are not under the jurisdiction of our residential law, or where things may not be as regulated as we are used to. The only recourse we have in these cases is to help someone down the road with knowledge.

This is an open, public forum and I think something's wrong somewhere when certain things need to be said behind closed doors.

That would be wonderful in a perfect world but unfortunately there are people who have ulterior motives for dispensing false information. It becomes very difficult to decipher what is true and what isn't, what is someone's opinion and hearsay versus what is fact.

I am still looking for our friend "Loser" who went to a certain doctor in Mexico, had complications that were severe but undiagnosed last time we spoke to him here in US, and never posted again. He was having complications and disappeared after previously posting 144 times. Yeah, these things scare the crap out of me.

I am still looking for our friend "Loser" who went to a certain doctor in Mexico, had complications that were severe but undiagnosed last time we spoke to him here in US, and never posted again. He was having complications and disappeared after previously posting 144 times. Yeah, these things scare the crap out of me.

I exchanged pm's with him on March 6th. Just sent him one now. Hopefully he will respond. He was doing fine tho according to his message. Did something happen later?

I am aware of an individual who had a successful sleeve surgery in Mexico , and was posting often prior to and after until another family member got sleeved by the same surgeon and had complications. I was informed that there were numerous problems going on in the facility since she had her surgery. This individual has not posted anything since and requested that I keep the information private. The complications must be grave for her to have withdrawn her communication on this board. I feel very sorry for her and her family.

Does anyone actually use a FORUM, full of people's opinions, to make their sugery decisions? Like REALLY? I doubt it. And honestly, if this website is ALL that someone would take into consideration when choosing a surgeon, then I must say, I FEEL that isnt very bright idea. Shit happens, in America, In Mexico, at my house, at your house....EVERYWHERE.

Does anyone actually use a FORUM, full of people's opinions, to make their sugery decisions? Like REALLY? I doubt it. And honestly, if this website is ALL that someone would take into consideration when choosing a surgeon, then I must say, I FEEL that isnt very bright idea. Shit happens, in America, In Mexico, at my house, at your house....EVERYWHERE.

yep. exactly.

I was fortunate to have met a gal who had sleeve surgery a year ago and was able to talk to her in person. Knowing her first hand experience made me and my husband more comfortable with this decision. I did go to a different doctor than she used. Her's was about $3500 more than I spent.

Quote by pnw218 That would be wonderful in a perfect world but unfortunately there are people who have ulterior motives for dispensing false information. It becomes very difficult to decipher what is true and what isn't, what is someone's opinion and hearsay versus what is fact.

Obviously she referring to me since I started the post.

But lets be real here I have had PM's from people telling me there relatives/friends have been damaged but they are suffering, bitter and hurt. They won't come forward and they don't want to be disclosed either.

pnw218 I have no ulterior motives and like I said before if I knew that the place I had my sleeve was doing bad work I wouldn't be covering for them.

And it has been stated that bad stuff happens everywhere but let's not excuse the obvious. There are many good clinics/hospitals in the U.S. and abroad that are going MONTHS without any infections, leaks etc.

But if you have one place like Emmanuel/Jerusalem that have 50 bad ones in the last 6 months don't you think we need to sound an alarm.

I got lots of private e-mails off this post from people saying that people they know friends and family have had bad things happen to them at J/E but they can't say anything here because they will be shot down because it is hearsay. These people also said that they will not speak up for themselves for various reasons and also they wish NOT to be disclosed.

My decision for choosing the VSG instead of the LapBand was greatly influenced by reading message boards on OH and VST. This is where I was able to get information from actual people who have had the surgeries. I did not base my choice of surgeon through the boards and that is because I was looking for a surgeon in the New York metropolitan vicinity, however, if I would have been a "self-pay" I would have been greatly influenced by this and OH message boards in their respective forums. This is where I am able to discern from up to the minute experiences of real people. I am aware that there may be some opportunists posing as WLS patients but I have a fairly good sense about who's who. I have also spoken to a few individuals via the phone, who were willing to take the communication to another level. The majority of the "horror stories" I have read from both lapband and sleeve complications are true. I look at statistics not isolated cases that can potentially happen anywhere. That said, as I mentioned in an earlier post I am aware of a person who died post gastric bypass surgery at the hands of a renown NY WL Surgeon. He was grossly neglected while still in the hospital and he died there. I only found this out recently when I met up with his sister and told her how I lost so much weight. Point being, I also look at how a complication is handled by a surgeon who has a vast track record of success.

Edited by LAN2k

I am new to this site and doing research. I have talked to my doctor and have my first class starting friday. I want any information I can get. not just the good stuff but bad also. how can I make a decision based only only good. That would be insane. If there are surgeons that for some reason or another didn't satisfy a patient I want to know please. let me be the judge of the information I hear. but for Gods sake let me hear it.

Thank you

For those debating whether or not to pursue weight loss surgery, or which procedure is right for you, I highly recommend reading studies and peer-reviewed publications on the topic. They can be daunting since they're all in medicalese and science jargon, but they are (or attempt to be) an unbiased view of the subject. I did my own research, and quickly came to the conclusion that just trying to "do it the old fashioned way" was likely a recipe for failure, and that my risks of doing nothing and remaining obese were much higher than my tiny risks from weight loss surgery.

For those committed to WLS and the VSG in specific and trying to choose a doctor, that's more difficult. Even here in the States, I've had a really hard time finding concrete stats on my surgeon. I BELIEVE that his stats are really good, but I don't have access to any hard data on him. I can only imagine how difficult that would be if he were in another country with different reporting standards. This is not an attempt to slander non-US doctors, but I would believe that doing "hard numbers" type research might be more challenging.

Of course, you can just call the doctor and ASK, but if you don't trust them to begin with (and of course, they'll all say "trust me!"), why would you trust their statistics?

Ultimately I wish there were publicly-available statistics on morbidity and mortality for all licensed medical practitioners. Not everyone has the time or money (or knowledge) to track this down on their own.

When I came to this board I only saw the upside to the surgery. Lately things are more 'real' and that is fine by me. First or second hand stories, if true, are good things to know.