Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a question for those of you a ways out. How soon before you were able to start meeting the Protein, Water, and carb requirements? I am not getting close on the protein or water (about half on each) and today I drank gatorade which is a carb festival. I am also still way under on calories, I just don't wanna get a bad start on things. Reassurance?

I had a really tough time getting fluids and Protein in as I should and sometimes felt no energy and dragging all the time. I always felt I was pushing fluids so hard and still didn't make it so I drank Vitamin drinks that had more carbs than I wanted but knowing how little calories you are getting in overall it certainly didn't stop my weight loss. Some sleevers only worried about getting in fluids and not the protein in the first few weeks, very important to stay hydrated. Even now, at 4 months I am still watching my fluids, my urine is still concentrated at times and have to keep pushing. My protein is good tho, and keep taking your Vitamins.< /p>

I was able to get my 64 oz of fluids in by Day 5 as recommended by my program. I took it as mandatory so I sipped all day and ate no sugar added fruit popsicles (2 oz each). I also drank a lot of Sobe Lifewater 0 no cal Fugi Apple Pear flavor which tasted like pear juice to me. The 20 ounce bottle has 15 carbs but I was more concerned with getting in my fluids than the carbs. On day 5 I moved to full liquids and used greek yogurt to get in Protein. At that point I had lactose intolerance and couldn't do whey shakes. On day 10 I moved to Muscle Milk Light and could tolerate them. By around day 14 my body had adjusted and I could start back on the whey Protein Shakes. I really didn't worry about the Protein much until I got to the pureed food stage. My Kaiser program doesn't believe in protein supplements but I'm using some shakes now at 6 weeks or I wouldn't be getting in the protein that other programs advise.

Anna, while I tracked everything in myfitnesspal dot com, I didn't worry about the calories or carbs until I was several weeks out. At your stage I was getting under 200 calories a day. Maximize your weight loss in these first weeks as it's the easiest time to lose. Keep hydrating and you'll be just fine.

Thank you! Yes the most calories I've gotten so far were about 350 and that took work! It feels so weird to be in a place in my life where I have to concentrate to eat or drink ENOUGH. Believe me this was NEVER an issue before, though I feel I am probably getting better quality food in my limited amount then when I was drinking 140 oz diet coke a day and enjoying daily fast food.

Hi,

I drank a lot of Crystal Light for the first 2-3 weeks because I couldn't tolerate plain Water. I drank Profect (eew! I know) in the first week to get my Protein in. One good thing about is that it is only 3 ounces so it doesn't take long to consume. I like Muscle Milk Light because it has a thinner consistency and tastes good for a Protein Shake. costco sells it and I think Walmart does too.

Just do the best you can-soon you will be able to drink a lot more. I averaged 250-300 calories my first few weeks out.

Good Luck.

Pennie

Maybe this is TMI but in the hospital I threw up crystal light for one whole day and even though I have different flavors in my pantry I just can't bring myself to even try them. I am actually loving Water which is not my typical M.O. so....a good thing already I guess. Who knew how many commercials there were for food when you are in the lazy recoup mode?

Maybe this is TMI but in the hospital I threw up crystal light for one whole day and even though I have different flavors in my pantry I just can't bring myself to even try them. I am actually loving Water which is not my typical M.O. so....a good thing already I guess. Who knew how many commercials there were for food when you are in the lazy recoup mode?

Had to laugh! I got sick after having the original Icy from 7-11 a hundred years ago. Then I had kids and they loved those dumb things! I still won't drink one!

and ITA!! Way too many commercials for food, nifty $1 specials and restaurant coupons in the mail. Just makes me cranky : ( haha!

My last two weeks has been slow going however I am still losing a little here and there. I will go back to logging food/drink on Monday. Needed a mental break.

I don't know that I have ever gotten 64 oz in one day. I usually get close on calories and do fine on carbs and Protein.

It will happen!! I believe!! :blushing:

Edited by pnw218

I cannot stand protien supplements, the smell, the taste .. Yuck. So in the a.m. I drink 1c of skim milk w/ a serving of no sugar added carnation inst Breakfast, 1/3 c non fat dried milk and 2 scoops of beneprotien. That gives me 32 g of protien. Then I'll sip on milk again later in the night. I try my hardest to sip on Water or Decaf iced tea and even sometimes crystal light. But honestly it can be too sweet. I am a diet coke addict... I drank at least 3-4 route 44's a day. So I know how you fel...but if your like me you don't miss them much, or anything for that matter :thumbup1:. The no chewing has been hard, but I know I can do this. My doc doesn't want me to focus on caloric intake right now, so I eat as much as I can take, which is very little:). It will be an incredible journey!

I do fine with Protein most days. But even after 2 months I'm generally lacking in calories. Its a struggle for me to get enough. I just am not *GASP* interested in food.< /p>

I just had my surgery a couple days ago, but I knew in advance that I wouldn't be able to drink Crystal Light or other typical sugar-free beverages typically sold in stores because aspartame/nutrasweet and sucralose/splenda both make me sick. If I get tired of plain Water, I take an old-fashioned packet of koolaid (no sugar) and add it to a half gallon of water and sweeten with Stevia to taste. It helps to change it up without adding any calories or carbs.

That is right Katt - don't be afraid to not use artificial sweeteners. I think when you are healing it is best to stick to nature not chemicals. Think of how many antibiotics we were given, nausea medicine, etc. I drank weak Kool Aid with sugar b/c I felt I needed it. If something sounds horrible, why do it, to me it is important to listen to your body. After I drank my big kool aid every day (20 oz with half sugar) then after a few weeks I didn't want it anymore. Then I switched to a touch of agave b/c I don't have Stevia and didn't like it once before. Slowly just learning to drink with less sweetness. I will go to McD's and get an iced tea and get unsweet with a tad of sugar.

For me, moderation works. I get so pissed if you ask them to mix it in the drive through b/c they always give me syrupy sweet tea. YUCK.

As I understand it, until recently, it has been hard to get good quality Stevia (not bitter) in US because of the demand in Japan and other countries--but the quality of our Stevia has improved over the last couple years. Try several different brands and don't use too much and you may find that you like it better than you used to.