Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week from today!!

It's a gorgeous day in Philly. I am one week away from my band to sleeve revision with Dr. Aceves. I've been calling all my close friends (one at a time) to tell them about my decision to have this procedure. I am blessed they have been so supportive. Being 130 pounds overweight is killing me. Just getting out of a low chair or having to walk long distances is a struggle. Last October I lead a team of women on the 3 day, 60 mile walk for Susan G. Komen.. I trained like a crazy woman since I was so fat and was worried that I couldn't do it. We raised a ton of money...the walk was only 1 day becuase Philly had horrible weather...so I walked 17 miles one day....I was fat...but felt strong.

Today...I walked 7 blocks to my office from home and was sweating and winded when I got here. I've gained 30 pounds in the past 6 months and it feels like a 1000. I know that I am not meant to live a diminished life. I am having this surgery becuase I hear the clock ticking on my own mortality. Fears of loose skin and a sagging face do haunt me....but not as much as dying the death of person who is morbidly obese.

My sleeve date is next Wednesday, April 7. My heart goes out to you, cause I know what you mean. 20 years ago I lost 180 lbs with diet and exercise, but as life got in the way.....guess what...here I am today at 352 lbs.

This is such an incredible opportunity that we are about to experience. This is the TOOL that can finally set uf FREE of the bondage of weight. I feel like sometimes, God created this VSG for me, and others get to use it too...lol

But really, we have had enough experience now to know how easy it is to put back on.

The '4 Rules' my Dr. gave me are posted all through my house.

1. Protein first

2. Drink 64 oz. of Water daily

3. Exercise a minimum of 1 hour a day

4. NO SNACKING...if it has calories...it is a snack (eat only 2-3 meals a day)

According to these rules, I should never have to count another carb, fat gram, or calorie. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but when I read that sentence, I literally started crying from relief !!! Do you realize how many years of our life we have wasted counting food instead of living life? !!! I have even stopped watching my favorite TV channel...(Food Network)

I'm going to be 58 yrs old 2 days after my surgery. I already have the saggy chin, and saggy arms. So what....WE WILL BE FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE THE TOOL, THE WISDOM FROM THE PAST, AND THE KNOWLEDGE ON HOW TO MAKE IT WORK THIS TIME.

YEA FOR US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Thank you so much for your reply...we will have to keep track of each other.....one other rule that people have shared with me for long term success is NOT to drink during meals....

I ignored that when I had my lapband and I wish I hadn't. the band wasn't the right long term solution for me, but I the drinking with meals rule is the one I ingnored right from the beginning.

I really just have to follow the directions.....

congrats to you. you will be fine. have courage for yourself and we all here will encourage you to keep fighting the will to be healthy. it's great to have a forum such as this. the only people who can understand where you have been and where you are today can bring you a brighter tomorrow.

as for sagging face and loose skin ---- Protein Protein protein

It's a gorgeous day in Philly. I am one week away from my band to sleeve revision with Dr. Aceves. I've been calling all my close friends (one at a time) to tell them about my decision to have this procedure. I am blessed they have been so supportive. Being 130 pounds overweight is killing me. Just getting out of a low chair or having to walk long distances is a struggle. Last October I lead a team of women on the 3 day, 60 mile walk for Susan G. Komen.. I trained like a crazy woman since I was so fat and was worried that I couldn't do it. We raised a ton of money...the walk was only 1 day becuase Philly had horrible weather...so I walked 17 miles one day....I was fat...but felt strong.

Today...I walked 7 blocks to my office from home and was sweating and winded when I got here. I've gained 30 pounds in the past 6 months and it feels like a 1000. I know that I am not meant to live a diminished life. I am having this surgery becuase I hear the clock ticking on my own mortality. Fears of loose skin and a sagging face do haunt me....but not as much as dying the death of person who is morbidly obese.

Friends,

I'm with ya! At 62 years of age and 288 lbs I was huffin and puffin all the time, could no longer work in my garden because I'd get exhausted after one minute, could not paint my own toenails...the belly was in my way...I could see 300lbs on the horizon, and expected to have diabetes soon. I had sleep apnea, high blood pressure, early signs of fatty liver, arthritis in my knees and feet hurt all the time. I was MISERABLE and DESPERATE.

My doctor suggested bariatric surgery, and I started doing research on it, having tried everything else unsuccessfully. I satisfied my VERY PICKY self when I found Dr Aceves and this forum...he met my standards and the VSG seemed the safest of the surgeries. Although my insurance would not cover it, I was actually OK with being self-pay, because I did not like the thought of going through a 6 month period of jumping through the hoops that they require anyway. Once I decided to "go for it", I had an appointment very quickly, and a month later was sleeved by Dr Aceves on 9/23/09.

6 months later, I've lost 99lbs, no longer have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, shortness of breath, fatigue, or pain in my legs/feet. I can work out in my garden ALL DAY LONG without a hint of a problem...and still have lots of energy left. I'm down to a size 14 top and 18 pants. I feel like a kid again. Words can't describe how exciting it is to feel "normal". I expect to be at goal (145) by September.

The discipline of following the eating plan is so worth the effort once you see results...just set your goals and if you fall off the wagon, just get right back on! The sleeve works if you do what you are advised to do. The weight just seems to fall right off...it is nothing short of a miracle. Congratulations on making a decision that will change your life as you never imagined!