Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre-op "what you wish you had known"

hello all-

I am scheudled for my band to sleeve revision with Dr. Aceves on April 9. I weighed myself this morning for the the first time in two years and was 301. I was 350 when I was banded and am more than a little heartsick that I have started to gain the weight back....but onward I go...

I am hoping to get suggestions or tips of anything you would have done or bought or thought of when you first had the surgery. I am traveling back from Mexicali (San Diego) by myself to Philadelphia and I live alone...so want to be as prepared as possible.

Any and all suggestions are welcome...

1. What should I bring with me that you wished you had or really were thrilled you had with you.

2. What "Stuff" should I have at home

3. What do you know "now" that you wish you had known "then"

I am really open to hearing your thought and suggestions and wanted to thank you all for sharing your experiences....I'm less scared of this porcess than I am of continuing to gain weight...

Defy Gravity..

Grace

Edited by citygal

Hi Grace,

I just got back last night from Mexicalli and I am so glad that I brought a heating pad! I did forget my pj's but did not need them. I went by myself also, flew from NH and the flying was not that bad. I shopped at Vitaman world before I left and stocked up on Cytomax Protein pre-made drinks for when I got home. They taste good(except tropical) and have 40g of protein. So for me it was slippers and a heating pad. Good Luck! They are such wonderful people there. Oh, don't eat at the Cafeteria at the hotel, eat at the rest. right beside the lobby ;-)

Thank you soooo much. This is exactly what I am looking for. I now am starting a list of items and will get myself a heating pad and slippers (I don't have either at home)

I hope you are on the mend and I will keep looking for you on here to cheer you on!

I was in the hospital for 2 nights and the thing I really needed was something to wash my face with like moist towelettes or something similar. Lip balm (with no petroleom products) is another one.

Good luck!

I didnt have at first but have since bought them.

Cocktail Silverware at Bed Bath and Beyond - (helps you eat slower)

Small "Fancy" plates.

Chapstick.

Good Luck you are going to LOVE your sleeve!!!

I do!!!

I was in the hospital for 2 nights and the thing I really needed was something to wash my face with like moist towelettes or something similar. Lip balm (with no petroleom products) is another one.

Good luck!

Why no petroleom? I try to get organic petroleom free products but never did quite know why. I brought a jar of "Vicks" and "Afrin" nasal spray and I was glad I did because my nose gets stuffy sometimes at night and I worried that I might be breathing while asleep with my mouth open and awake with it all dried up. The Vicks and nasal spray came in handy.

Why no petroleom? I try to get organic petroleom free products but never did quite know why. I brought a jar of "Vicks" and "Afrin" nasal spray and I was glad I did because my nose gets stuffy sometimes at night and I worried that I might be breathing while asleep with my mouth open and awake with it all dried up. The Vicks and nasal spray came in handy.

Oh yes do not forget the Vicks!!

My whole family is addicted to Vicks!!

(Kinda like the Dad on my big fat greek wedding is with Windex):001_smile:

LOL!

My surgery is scheduled next Wednesday (April 7) and I may be wrong, but being in the hospital before for other procedures I kept getting asked over and over again by different hospital staff what meds I was on and the dosage. I'm planning on bringing that list with me. But now.....thinking about it, I probably will have to be on some other kind of blood pressure, and arthritis pills since I can't swallow them.

But....I'm taking the list just in case.:001_smile:

If you are going by yourself (I did) pack as light as possible! They will supply soap and Shampoo for your shower. Wear something you can use both ways on the flight. forget the blue jeans. I didn't use my robe or nightgown I brought. The hosp gowns are fine. use one backwards for a robe. Slip on shoes. (flip flops were be good cause if you walk outside it is hot.)

You don't need to take a heating pad they will give you one just ask. Bring your meds with you that are in crushable pills (no time release). Do not forget your Sunglasses!

I was so sick from the anesthesia the first two days post-op were rough but the RN's took GREAT care of me! Dr Aceves and Dr. Campos are top-notch. I have never had such good medical care. The hospital is soooo clean the housekeeper will come by so much to clean your room it was unreal. (compared to US care-no wonder we have so many infections in our hospitals)

side not..the RN's were amazing, some do not speak English(some of the night RN's) When changing my incision dressings they were very through and kept everything sterile.

The best to you, won't need luck because you will be in wonderful hands.

D.

Hi Grace

First of all congrats on your up coming revision!! You will LOVE the sleeve, and the weight comes off so much faster with the sleeve! I had the band lost 40lbs and that was that, could not lose anymore then started having trouble with the band.

I have been to Mexico twice by myself. The things I would recomend are chapstick, sweats, loose tops, heating pad, gas x, slippers, robe and that is about it. I took my lap top last time and hardly used it, and it was a pain carrying it through the airport. I took the smallest amount of clothes possible, you are in a hospital gown most of the time so you don't need them. Just a carry on bag will be plenty. Oh I forgot I did take a book and enjoyed reading before surgery.

Good luck and happy losing!

Well I have two that are both personal. The first is I would plan to start your period while you are there. It is super common and it happened with me and I was NOT prepared and was so worn out that it seemed much harder than it should have. Also, I am someone with some mild depression and when I got home I experienced the most extreme amount of anxiety, not for any mental reason, but I think because I was still full of anasthesia, having my period, had to miss my antidepressant for 3 days, and then when your body doesn't have carbs it has a harder time producing seratonin. In hindsight I would have arranged for an anti anxiety medication or a sleeping pill just for a few days. Thats me though!

Good luck, you will love Dr. Aceves and the hospital. His staff are great and they took excellent care of me.

You are all so AWESOME!! These are great tips and I updating my list. I'm buying some really comfy slip on pants for the trip home....I have to tell you....I am so ready to have my procedure. All of the comments about Dr. Aceves are helping my friends feel more comfortable with this....

I'm single and have no biological family so my friends really are my heart....thank you all for sharing your tips with me....

Happy Spring everyone!!