Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

drinking water right after a meal....

i know we shouldn't drink after a meal,

but i would like to know why that is,and what would happen if we do so.

i read that a liquid will wash everything down,but with the side effect of getting hungry again sooner.

is that all? or is there more to it?

i'm on my 5th week and i get that uncomfortable feeling sometimes.

then i take a few sips Water and it seem to help ,or i just think it helps ,i don't know...i'm still experimenting.

should i continue this "experiment",or is there a change of getting much more uncomfortable or even vomit?

Edited by tdriver

Pretty much washing the food down is pretty much the issue. Also, if you accidentally drink too much it could cause vomiting.

I occasionally sip during and after a meal. It just kind of depends. It's tough habit to break the further out you get the more you can fit in, and drinking with your meals can lead to more calories consumed during the meal, or shortly after.

I'm confused...I thought drinking during meals meant stuffing yourself on liquids and not getting in enough food nutrients, or overstuffing your sleeve and vomiting. I don't recall hearing anything before about liquids washing the food down faster and causing you to eat more. Can you'll give some more details on this and how you space things out with the drinking? It seems like you'd never get any fluids in if you don't drink before or after meals. :confused1:

I'm confused...I thought drinking during meals meant stuffing yourself on liquids and not getting in enough food nutrients, or overstuffing your sleeve and vomiting. I don't recall hearing anything before about liquids washing the food down faster and causing you to eat more. Can you'll give some more details on this and how you space things out with the drinking? It seems like you'd never get any fluids in if you don't drink before or after meals. :confused1:

I drink right up until my first bite, and then I wait a minimum of 30 minutes after eating to take another drink 98% of the time.

The food needs to be digested. It needs to sit in the stomach, and yes, drinking while eating will change the consistency of the food, and it will flush through the pyloric valve more quickly. Drinking while eating can leave you hungry, or less satisfied, it can also allow you to eat more food per meal. Drinking while eating early out can fill up your sleeve, but now I can drink a few sips during my meal, and have noticed I can eat a couple of extra bites especially if it's softer meats.

It's not difficult to wait 30 minutes after eating to drink anything then just resume your normal drinking regimen.

I get terribly thirsty during a meal. Even with the band it was a hard habit to break. With the band, however, it was like the Water would pile up on top of the food and come right back up. It was a horrible feeling. I haven't really tried it with the sleeve and if I do drink within even an hour of a meal I sometimes get that same sensation that I used to get with the band. Tonight I grilled some filets medium rare. They just melt in your mouth. I did open a bottle of merlot and took teeny tiny sips after bites of meat. It went down just fine, but they were very small sips simply to enhance the taste of the meat and not to overcome thirst.

For me it is more of a comfort vs. discomfort thing. I am terribly uncomfortable if I do drink too soon after a meal. My band also put a huge hole in my stomach which had to be repaired. I'm not sure if that caused my esophagus to become "tighter" hence the discomfort.

I drink right before eating as well, but the couple of times I've unthinkingly taken a drink right after eating, ughhhh.... it suddenly felt like I had twice as much "stuff" in there, got really uncomfortable, and felt like I might have to bring it back up. :confused1: And that's not with huge gulps, either.

Thanks for the clarification guys. What you said makes sense and I feel better knowing that I probably won't have to curtail my drinking too much before meals. Waiting 30 minutes or so after eating to take a drink doesn't seem too bad, but I'm sure it'll take some getting used to, especially for people like me who can't enjoy a meal without drinking throughout. But, it seems like a small sacrifice in the big picture.

My stomach hurts if I drink after eating. It is almost like the cramp you get after swallowing a slurpee or margarita. It takes a few minutes but eventually the cramping passes. A big swallow of cold milk does the same.

Seems like I am breaking all of the rules!!

I agree with everyone else that it is uncomfortable to drink too much right before, during or after a meal - however I do take little sips during meals, depending on what I am eating. Especially Peanut Butter toast. That just requires milk : )

As time goes on, I have been able to experiment and see what works. Sometimes it doesn't tho and it takes 30-60 minutes to feel better!

While I haven't had my surgery yet this is the official reason you shouldn't drink while you eat.

"The reason why this is a rule is because we do not want you to liquefy the food as you are eating

it. Do not wash the sludge down the sink hole. We want you to stop drinking about 15 minutes

before your meal ? to make sure the sink is empty of Water before putting food in it. Once you

start eating, no drinking with your meal ? do not liquefy the food you are eating. You will be

able to eat more, and you will be hungry sooner if you are drinking while eating. Never put a

glass of any liquid next to your meal ? the habit to eat and drink at the same time is very strong.

You may not realize that you are even doing it until it is too late. We also do not want you to

drink for at least 90 minutes after your meal. Do not help mother nature ? your pouch can

liquefy the food on its own without your help. Your pouch will take longer on its own, thus

giving you prolonged satisfaction and hunger control."

From ?THE INSTITUTE FOR ADVANCED BARIATRIC SURGERY ? MIS HOSPITAL

http://www.iabsobesitysurgery.com/Media/Forms/SleeveDietGuide.pdf