Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all.

I have a question for the nurses out there. I saw a post (can't remember where) in which a very helpful person was saying to bring extra panties because yours will get messed up in the OR. If your wearing panties in the OR does that mean it's not sterile. I would have thought that you just wore a gown. I have no medical background... just wondering.

thanks

Stacey

Edited by stcyt

yea... I'm no doctor, but thats what I kinda what I thought. concerning....

Stacey

yikes... I have never had surgery. So many things to know. I must have misunderstood the post.

thanks

stacey

My VSG was my first operation too so I learned a lot of new things like one takes off all your clothes and puts on the gown. I think they put a modesty patch over your privates during the surgery.

My VSG was my first operation too so I learned a lot of new things like one takes off all your clothes and puts on the gown. I think they put a modesty patch over your privates during the surgery.

I was not catheterized during my surgery. I have been for a couple of my surgeries but not all. A couple gals left their panties on during surgery as well.

I was not catheterized during my surgery. I have been for a couple of my surgeries but not all. A couple gals left their panties on during surgery as well.

Did you guys have surgery in Mexico? Perhaps that is the difference. They took out this catheter before I woke up thankfully. I hated, hated, hated getting it taken out previously even if I was under the influence of my morphine pump :)

Hello all.

I have a question for the nurses out there. I saw a post (can't remember where) in which a very helpful person was saying to bring extra panties because yours will get messed up in the OR. If your wearing panties in the OR does that mean it's not sterile. I would have thought that you just wore a gown. I have no medical background... just wondering.

thanks

Stacey

No the reason they don't want you to wear panties is in case something happens that they can put a foley catheter in place. also if they can't find a suitable iv site, they can go for the femoral site. . . it's just in case of emergency. . . ask away, we are here for you!

I would think that "sterile" ...and "sterile to YOU" are two different things...What you are bringing in, on your OWN underwear probably wont harm you. Now if the surgeon walks in with someone else's panties on their head...that TO ME would make me question the sterilization of the OR. = D

No undies for me here in Australia and I had to wash in a special antiseptic gel the night prior to and the morning of my surgery.

I would think that "sterile" ...and "sterile to YOU" are two different things...What you are bringing in, on your OWN underwear probably wont harm you. Now if the surgeon walks in with someone else's panties on their head...that TO ME would make me question the sterilization of the OR. = D

LOL Post of the day!!!!

Sabrina, I did have surgery in Mexico. Maybe it depends on what type of surgery you are having, how long you will be sedated and what your movement limits will be afterwards. Hopefully a nurse will answer you more. Seems they always want you to get up and walk right away, and if you have to get up to use the bathroom, that is a start! lol

I wore my underwear during my Tummy Tuck and lift surgery; in fact I didn't even take my pants off.

Yeah word to the wise - don't plan surgery near your menstrual cycle dates...

I started the day AFTER surgery but worried a lot while on the 'table'.

hi... well i have been a RN for the past 21 years working in the ICU. so in my experience. we always have people totally undress and wear only a gown to surgery. so... no panties please. as for your privacy in surgery.... well, you will have a sterile draping that will cover you from head to toe with only an opening where they do the surgical procedure. so you are covered during surgery. the only time you will be exposed is after you have been put to sleep by the anesthesia doctor. you will be draped for surgery and then at the end of the case when they remove the drape and put your gown back on. i would like to add, for those of you who are not in health care or have not experienced surgery before..... after 21 years in nursing, one naked butt looks like the next. i see so many naked people it does not even cross my mind. i am mindful to keep people's privacy but when you are in the health care field and work with acute care you really do not think anything about it. kelly

I didn't bother wearing any undies to the hospital because I knew I wouldn't want to wear them home either. I just showed up in my loose sweats and slip on shoes.