Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ready for surgery on 04/09...have questions, please help

I'm so excited but at the same time nervous, scared but very ready!

Have the following questions:

1. I need to start my pre-op diet and was wondering what you ate during yours?

2. What are you able to take with you on the plane?

3. How long before you were able to drive?

4. What can I do to assure I have a speedy recovery?

As the date gets closer...it seems I have all kinds of questions

I appreciate your assistance!

Liz

Hi Liz. Congratulations on your approaching surgery. I was given a pre-op dietary instruction pamphlet from my surgeon. It listed 2 diet options. The first was to drink 3 whey Protein Shakes per day, no solid food. OR 2. Two shakes per day and one low fat, light meal. I opted for option 2 and had a vanilla, chocolate, or Mocha Protein Shake (using Jay Rob Whey Protein Powder + skim or 1% low fat milk), for Breakfast, and another for lunch. For dinner I prepared a low fat/low carbohydrate dish, usually a salad with grilled shrimp or chicken, tuna etc. Sometimes I had a salad with a piece of steak. The day before my surgery I stuck to liquids only. I started 4 weeks before my surgery and lost 15 lbs by my surgery date. I had my surgery at a hospital only 40 minutes drive from where I live. Post surgery just be prepared to keep yourself hydrated, take frequent walks (I did arm exercises, no weights) and get ample rest. Your Protein intake will progress with time. Best wishes.

Hi Liz!

My first question would be who are you using as a coordinator? If you don't want to name them, that's fine. You might ask them if they will be present for your surgery and recovery. Some do and some don't. The one I used does try to be there with her clients and check in several times a day in the clinic and at the recovery house. She also went with us for our leak tests which was comforting. If we wanted something, had a question, she would take care of it for us.

1. I need to start my pre-op diet and was wondering what you ate during yours? I ate everything in sight!! LOL I did not have to do a pre-op diet however, looking back, I can see it being a good thing to wean yourself off certain foods that you won't be able to have immediately after surgery.

2. What are you able to take with you on the plane? Do you mean food-wise or a carryon?? I packed one light carryon. You need maybe one or two comfy outfits, one or two pairs of pjs, slippers. I loved my heating pad because my body temperature fluctuated alot the first couple of days post op. GasX strips are helpful to deal with the gas bubbles and they are a great treat when you can't eat or drink anything else :redface1:. I brought a lightweight blanket, similar to what the airlines used to give out. I used it on the plane going home as well as a for comfort. I wouldn't bring my laptop again. Mostly slept and didn't use it. I have international service and email on my phone. BTW, for me, emailing was free or very cheap but outgoing texts were .50 each!! They will have everything you need there as far as meds and food go. I did take some of my regular meds with me but took them sparingly. I was afraid to put anything on my stomach at first.

3. How long before you were able to drive? I think I was told one or two weeks? However our business is just a mile from home so I was probably driving at 5 or 6 days. The main issues with driving are 1) are you taking meds? will they impair your judgement; 2) if you get in a accident, will it cause damage to your surgery. Prior surgeons have suggested I drive with a pillow on my lap to prevent or reduce contact with the steering wheel if an accident occurred. I quit taking pain meds at 3 days so that wasn't an issue. I probably wouldn't have driven further than my immediate area for the first week or so.

4. What can I do to assure I have a speedy recovery? Follow whatever directions your doctor gives you. Again, depending on your coordinator, they may or may not also give you a packet of guidelines. I also used the Cornell University guidelines because it more suited me. http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

An afterthought ... wearing a bra was not real comfortable after surgery. One of your incisions will be up high and your chest might be sore from being tubed and inflated during the surgery. I took a sports bra and tank tops to wear under my shirts which was much more comfortable.

Good Luck! The day will be here soon! If you have any specific questions about your doctor or clinic, feel free to ask me here or by private message.

Edited by pnw218