Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

feeling weak and depressed.....

i'm on week 3 and i'm feeling weak and depressed most of the time.

i do all my Proteins Vitamins liquids and food....even get some head hunger when my family eat and i smell the food, but it is controllable,and i don't feel real hunger (yet).

my problem these days is the lack of interest to do anything.....except my daily 20 minute walk.

i also can't go to work yet because my job needs some heavy lifting.

so i'm basically home all day surfing the net or watching tv.....i got tired of it but i also don't have the desire to do anything else......

my wife said it's post-op depression/weakness,but even if it is how will this go away?

I went to the doctor yesterday and told them about this exact problem I am having. . i have had pass out episodes as well. . .well come to find out because i haven't had a poop for 2 1/2 weeks (didn't even realize that) it was causing a toxicity build up in my system causing me to be dizzy, nauseated, and exhausted feeling. . . took some mag citrate 1/2 bottle, fixed that problem! Got onto some Miralax and colace as well. . . man does that make a difference. . . have you pooped? try some mag citrate and see how you feel???? Good luck. . . .

Thin, bet you dropped some weight too!! Glad you are cleaned out, it makes such a difference when all is "working".

i do all my Proteins Vitamins liquids and food....even get some head hunger when my family eat and i smell the food, but it is controllable,and i don't feel real hunger (yet).

my problem these days is the lack of interest to do anything.....except my daily 20 minute walk.

so i'm basically home all day surfing the net or watching tv.....i got tired of it but i also don't have the desire to do anything else......

my wife said it's post-op depression/weakness,but even if it is how will this go away?

I had both anxiety and depression after my surgery in Sept. it was very severe and I had to get help.I am now on a med called Remeron for depression and .5mgs of Klonopin as needed for anxiety. The meds have helped, but I do want to be weaned off soon if possible. The psychiatrist I'm seeing told me that if I were not able to get the help of meds and counciling, that under normal conditions, (if depression wasn't something I've struggled with in the past), it takes about 6 months for the body/mind to adjust after some major change or trauma. This surgery was traumatic for me. I hated the loss of my relationship with food. Not having it as my crutch did a number on my head, but, there were other factors going on that changed my life dramatically and not having food as my comforter really sent me into an abyss. Hope your back to your self soon. In time the depression will pass.

Edited by LAN2k

Get outside more. I am on my 3rd week back and I am back to work already and feel great! Get some fresh air (as much as you can!)

Couped up will cause that, if you are getting your Vitamins and minerals, taking your meds, drinking your Protein things should brighten up!

Great Job on your "decision to incision!" :001_tongue:

thank you all, i may force myself to go out more.

Even though you have different parts than us crazy girls, it's probably hormonal. I've talked in depth with a few male patients on OH, and they thought they were going through PMS.

I agree sunshine will definitely help. I know sometimes when I'm having a down day, I'll just stand on my porch in the sun with my eyes closed and absorb it.

If you don't have a hobby, or time filler, get one. I've picked up doing "word searches" again. I forgot how much fun the really difficult ones can be, and I get wrapped up in them and lose track of time. It keeps my mind off the other crap going on in my life, and gets me off the internet for a couple of hours.

If you have a local bowling alley near you, I seriously love bowling every week. You may want to give it a try, or hitting up some thrift/consignment stores for new-to-you clothes that will get you through the next size.

It'll get better, and if you need to talk, I'll always be an ear for you.

Great suggestions Tiff...Now that Spring is in the air you may like to get out on a bicyclye. I purchased one last year and rode it nearly every day last spring into summers end. I loved riding. I am going to pull out my bike soon...maybe tomorrow and give it a try now that I'm lighter.

When I started exercising, it really changed everything. I still battle every day with the loss of my very best friend-food. But exercise gives me something to focus on and it is very fun to watch my body change in a way that it never has before. That, in itself, is a huge thing with me!

I was lucky to be able to go back to work after four days. I also have a daughter still living at home so am involved with her sports. Often when you feel poorly, just taking a shower and putting on real clothes (vs staying in pjs or sweats all day) will make you feel better. It does for me.

The mental for me has been huge. I miss food alot; it really was a big part of my life. I already take anti-depressants so that may have eased it for me somewhat. I take one 300mg wellbutrin in the am and a 10 mg celexa at night. I was only taking the celexa until a few months ago and the wellbutrin made a huge difference.

I also didn't feel good until I moved to soft mushy foods. The liquid thing just didn't do it for me. I am feeling well now so long as I eat enough Protein each day.

I was also recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and should be using a cpap machine in about a week which should help how I feel.

Did you feel poorly before surgery or is this all new? Many overweight people have sleep apnea. I had no idea I had it, just knew I would wake up tired and need a nap during the day. Might be worth checking into for you.

Hope you feel better soon!

thank you, i may try a few things.

at 3 weeks out of surgery i was syill asking miyself what have i done, however now i'm at 9 weeks out and i know 100% that this surgery is by far the best think that i did for my self my entire fife (exept 4 my kids)!!!!

i am happy....happy and very pleased with my results (lost 36 lb)

HAVING SAID THAT in a few weeks you will loook back and laugh !!!!

U WILL BE EXCITED AND HAPPY 2!!!

And don't wory in a fewweeks u will actually be able to eat small but decent portions, that will probably make u a litle more strong and make u feel better.

At 9 weeks out (and i've been dooing this for 3 weeks) i'm going to the gim 6 days a week and i'm doing a one hour class just like everybodyelse with no problems.

I would suggest going to the gim begining with your 6-7 week not earlier!

your incizions need time to heal, u don't want a hernia!

Enough about me, I hope It will work out for you and I wish you the best!!!!:(

T... you been getting out yet??? :lol0:

will do this weekend.