Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight lost? - Formula

I think Mac and Wasa and there's a couple others on OH that had or are currently struggling with the same issues of maintenance.

It's weird, that's for sure.

You guys bare in mind that back in the days when you were overweight, what basically made you lose your battle with weight loss every time, was simply a SLOW and SLUGGISH metabolism. Thats why and despite our efforts when we lose a bunch of pounds, we couldnt maintain it and it was very hard to drop the weight to begin with. But i am guessing here, and its just a theory; now that you're slim and clearly decplined your self into the right eating habits. Your metabolism now works properly and its on fire. Burning everythin you eat with you being an active person and all.

What do u think?

I probably don't know what I'm wishing for, but I'd rather be having issues with maintaining than having the loss come to a screeching halt! I've been stalled for around a month with losing and gaining the same 1-2 pounds. I remember someone saying you will go through a stall around 6 months. I'm 7 mos. post-op, and my BMI is now 24.5 which is considered NORMAL weight. I'm wondering IF I'm going to be able to get the rest of the 25 pounds I've got left to lose OFF me. I keep my cal. between 600-800, and Protein proportionate to that. I follow Medifast which is all portioned out cals, protein and carbs, etc. Lately I've been dropping cals below that and have seen a tiny bit of movement (measured in ozs. not lbs.) Do you just get to a point where that's IT and nothing else is coming off, or how do you deal with that?

You guys bare in mind that back in the days when you were overweight, what basically made you lose your battle with weight loss every time, was simply a SLOW and SLUGGISH metabolism. Thats why and despite our efforts when we lose a bunch of pounds, we couldnt maintain it and it was very hard to drop the weight to begin with. But i am guessing here, and its just a theory; now that you're slim and clearly decplined your self into the right eating habits. Your metabolism now works properly and its on fire. Burning everythin you eat with you being an active person and all.

What do u think?

I agree with this theory, and my surgeon kind of touched on this very topic.

I probably don't know what I'm wishing for, but I'd rather be having issues with maintaining than having the loss come to a screeching halt! I've been stalled for around a month with losing and gaining the same 1-2 pounds. I remember someone saying you will go through a stall around 6 months. I'm 7 mos. post-op, and my BMI is now 24.5 which is considered NORMAL weight. I'm wondering IF I'm going to be able to get the rest of the 25 pounds I've got left to lose OFF me. I keep my cal. between 600-800, and Protein proportionate to that. I follow Medifast which is all portioned out cals, Protein and carbs, etc. Lately I've been dropping cals below that and have seen a tiny bit of movement (measured in ozs. not lbs.) Do you just get to a point where that's IT and nothing else is coming off, or how do you deal with that?

I had a mini-stall right before goal, and didn't lose anything for 10 days. I upped my calories by 100 calories a day to around 900-950, and bam I lost it.

I think sometimes people just have to shake things up in order to get the scale moving again. I think my body would be happy at 115lbs if I allowed it get that low. But, I wouldn't feel comfortable in my own skin.

I know some heavyweights that their body just stopped losing and I think in those situations, it's about just how much work the sleeve can do for them. YKWIM?

I know you can shed those last 25lbs, it'll just be up to your body when it's ready to start losing again. I'm at the very top of a normal BMI, but I'm content where I'm at. I wouldn't mind losing the extra fat on my stomach, and tone some more which will shrink the sizes some more, but I'm hoping to maintain right around this same weight. I always thought I could deal with maintenance issues better, but it's really mentally draining.

Well I have been as low as 103 lbs. in the 70s and 117 lbs. in the 80s. Did I look skinny? Yes. Was I much younger, oh yeah. But it's not a level that my body's never seen before. I'm not an exercise person, never have been. I have a treadmill upstairs that just takes up room when my DH isn't using it. Me, I don't like it. BUT there are other motivators, just have to find the one that works for you. I recently bought a very expensive Chanel jacket. It's a size 40 which in French/Italian sizing is between a 6-8 US sizes, depending on the item. Their RTW runs small anyway, I'm learning. I bought it used because new we couldn't say the price outloud. LOL! Anyway, it's a winter style and has a lot of built-in layers so it's more bulky and therefore more tight than a normal size 8 would be - and I can wear my other size 8 "normal" weight jacket. I WILL wear that jacket, but I need to lose another 10 to 12 pounds for it to fit me better. I was worried I was buying something I'd be out of too soon because of weight loss; now I'm worried I won't get into it and it'll be a complete waste of money. I don't like that thought at all, so I have to get the rest of the weight OFF. And being an Aries, I am not a patient person by nature. And yeah, I do kwum about sometimes your body is done losing and that's as far as the sleeve is going to take you. I even "toyed" with the thought of a DS if no more weight loss is forthcoming. Vain? Yeah, you got that right. It's not good enough to get "almost" there, but not there, kwim?:crying:

Well I have been as low as 103 lbs. in the 70s and 117 lbs. in the 80s. Did I look skinny? Yes. Was I much younger, oh yeah. But it's not a level that my body's never seen before. I'm not an exercise person, never have been. I have a treadmill upstairs that just takes up room when my DH isn't using it. Me, I don't like it. BUT there are other motivators, just have to find the one that works for you. I recently bought a very expensive Chanel jacket. It's a size 40 which in French/Italian sizing is between a 6-8 US sizes, depending on the item. Their RTW runs small anyway, I'm learning. I bought it used because new we couldn't say the price outloud. LOL! Anyway, it's a winter style and has a lot of built-in layers so it's more bulky and therefore more tight than a normal size 8 would be - and I can wear my other size 8 "normal" weight jacket. I WILL wear that jacket, but I need to lose another 10 to 12 pounds for it to fit me better. I was worried I was buying something I'd be out of too soon because of weight loss; now I'm worried I won't get into it and it'll be a complete waste of money. I don't like that thought at all, so I have to get the rest of the weight OFF. And being an Aries, I am not a patient person by nature. And yeah, I do kwum about sometimes your body is done losing and that's as far as the sleeve is going to take you. I even "toyed" with the thought of a DS if no more weight loss is forthcoming. Vain? Yeah, you got that right. It's not good enough to get "almost" there, but not there, kwim?:crying:

No, I agree with you 100% that almost isn't good enough. I think my good enough is just my own personal good enough. I'm also trying to conceive so that is a big driving force in trying to maintain because I lost weight with my first pregnancy. Like I dropped 11lbs, the first 8 weeks of pregnancy with Caysen. I know every pregnancy is different, but I'm okay getting pregnant at this weight. Plus, my surgeon and nutritionist said if I didn't find a way to slow down the loss, then I would have to wait even longer. There's a few reasons why we are trying before the 1 year post-op point that I'm not really all that comfortable expressing on the open forum, but it's been discussed with my medical team, and I'm being monitored pretty closely.

I wouldn't give up on your sleeve just yet. There's several lightweights that stalled out right about the same time as you have. I wouldn't go DS unless you are really prepared to deal with the vitamins/supplement regimen. I know that I could not commit to it, and I'm a strict and committed person. There is just no way in my mind that I could do it.

I know you can do it. I know a couple others on here and OH that increased their calories for just one week, and the scale moved, and that seemed to change the game for them.

I just wanted to add that I used this formula and it put me at a weight of 165 lbs. Which I would be happy with. I would love to see if I could make it to 140 or 135 but I kind of want to make sure Im in the right frame of mind as I see the scale drop!

Tiffy, I just wanted to say that my gallbladder came out last November and last week I was able to eat a small amount of avocado again. Give it a try at some point.

That formula actually worked for me. It came with a target BMI of 25.1 and I am at 25.2 right now. Two more pounds will put me in the normal range at 24.9. I am very happy with how I look at this weight and want to maintain here, so for me the formula was right on target.

Interesting, that would work out to just about what my doctor planned for me as well. Lucky for me, I am only 3 pounds away from that and 90 days post-op I am sure I will be able to smash past that to where "I" want to be. Good luck to you!

okay i am sick of this freakon stall i am on. i am so depressed to the point i don't even want to eat one bite of food all day but i had an episode this am where i was so dizzy feeling, felt like i was going to puke and when i ate some cheese eggs, bacon and a graham cracker i felt better. i felt like i had been on a 7 day drinking party!! i think i know what happened but it still didn't make me feel any better about myself. i am so down about the weight loss and it sucks a big one!! i hate feeling this way. thinking about not worrying about carbs and doing a low fat plan. not real sure but not losing this way. barely eating, low carbs and still not losing. SUCKS A BIG FAT TOE!!!

Laura,

I know it sucks. I'm down 87 pounds and nothing has moved in a month. But I'm 7 mos. post-op, so my loss has just slowed way down. You have lost a lot of weight in a short period of time, not even 4 mos. yet. I think your body is just re-adjusting, and it sounds like you're maybe not eating enough. If your body thinks you're starving, it's going to slow down the metabolism so you don't. Increase your calories, but do it with Protein, not fats and carbs, and fire up your metabolism with exercise and lots of Water. That should help break the stall. How long have you been on this stall?

The formula doesn't work for me. It wouldn't have been worth even having the surgery. Maybe it works better for higher starting BMI's??

But this is maths and I don't do maths! At my age I think last week was actually the first time since leaving school that I would have needed to calculate the lowest common denominator for anything...

I've now lost precisely 60 lbs since my surgery (my ticker shows my initial weight, I dropped about 60 lbs dieting, too) and have recently had a similar experience to Tiffany: for a few weeks, a stall, then suddenly a drop of 4-5 lbs. I don't mind, but then I don't weigh myself every week even. Just monitor calorie and Protein intake.

As to the OP: remember that those percentages are averages, people are individuals. There will be some who lose less and some who lose more.

As to the OP: remember that those percentages are averages, people are individuals. There will be some who lose less and some who lose more.

Thanks for all the replies....

Jolanda - I appreciate your comment - hence the post, trying to work out if if worked for others.... I'll be happy to loose even half of what they predict for me!!

AJW, can you tell me more about how you're using Medifast? Have you done that since surgery?