Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why am I hungry?

I am now 2 months out and have only lost 26 pounds - my weight has not budged in 2 weeks! I find that I am now hungry (no not thirsty) something has changed and I'm very frustrated - any advice? Did they not take out enough stomach and leave in hunger receptors? Advice?:001_smile:

I was hungry for the first few weeks too!! I was so upset and discouraged about it. Then all of a sudden my hunger has disappeared!! I started taking Nexium for my heartburn, and that might of had something to do with it (not sure). I also take B12, and that helps with metabolism among other things. I know how frustrating it can be, I stalled for over three weeks, but have now upped my workouts and started losing again. I know it's hard, but try not to get too discouraged, try upping your Water intake, and workout regimen...that should help speed things along? Are you on any type of acid reducer? What Vitamins are you taking? I hope things speed up for you soon. We all are so different, so you'll have to try different things in order to find out what really works for you!! I hope things start looking up for you soon...Stay positive!!!

thanks - I will try an acid reducer since this hunger thing is new to me. I do take sublingual B12, Omega 3's, keep my Protein up. I also notice more burping after I eat, but I don;t feel full, but perhaps it's a way for my body to tell me I'm full - I wish it would do it the normal way! I'm jealous of those who lost so much so quickly and never feel hunger - thanks for the support!

I felt a little jealousy in the beginning too, I started doubting my decision and thinking that this isn't going to work for me. I wondered what was wrong with me, and why was I different??? I think it was just my body getting used to everything (it took longer than most)!

I burp alot when I eat too fast, or something feels stuck. I also get the hiccups when I'm full...very annoying, but a great sign that I'm done!!

Your time will come, just take it one day at a time and see what works best for you...good luck, and keep us posted!!

I have lost a total of 33 pounds and the scale hasn't budged for 3 weeks for me so I know exactly how you are feeling. I keep my Protein up and my carbs down. I met with my nutritionist this week and he said I am doing everything right. I question that, however, because I am not losing. I am very frustrated but am doing my best to not focus soley on the weight loss. I take my measurements and they have changed slightly in the past 3 weeks even though the scale hasn't budged. I get lots of compliments so that really helps too. I keep telling myself that this has to work because I am physically unable to eat anywhere near the amount of food I used to eat. All we can really do is keep following the rules and hang in there until the scales start moving for us too. That or liposuction but I spent all my money on this surgery so Lipo has to wait. LOL!!!!

I have lost a total of 33 pounds and the scale hasn't budged for 3 weeks for me so I know exactly how you are feeling. I keep my Protein up and my carbs down. I met with my nutritionist this week and he said I am doing everything right. I question that, however, because I am not losing. I am very frustrated but am doing my best to not focus soley on the weight loss. I take my measurements and they have changed slightly in the past 3 weeks even though the scale hasn't budged. I get lots of compliments so that really helps too. I keep telling myself that this has to work because I am physically unable to eat anywhere near the amount of food I used to eat. All we can really do is keep following the rules and hang in there until the scales start moving for us too. That or liposuction but I spent all my money on this surgery so Lipo has to wait. LOL!!!!

33 pounds in less than 2 months is EXCELLENT! At 9 weeks (I only weigh once a week), I had lost 34 lbs since surgery, which I think is pretty amazing. Just think, how much would you be losing if you were just doing another diet?? :thumbup1: It could be that because you lost so much early on your body just needs a little time to adjust! It will come off, don't worry! :confused:

thanks for the words. I just worried that my body has adjusted to the new low calories and exercise and that I'll be back to where I was before - stuck and unable to lose weight. I'll try and be patient.

thanks for the words. I just worried that my body has adjusted to the new low calories and exercise and that I'll be back to where I was before - stuck and unable to lose weight. I'll try and be patient.

With the hunger thing, I started getting a "churning" kind of feeling in my stomach all day at around week 6. Felt kind of like hunger but I knew I wasn't really hungry. I knew it was acid because I actually woke up in the middle of the night one night choking on acid. I called my bariatric office & they prescribed Prevacid, a PPI (from my understanding). Tiffykins and I discussed the acid part and she mentioned that week 6 was when she started having issues with stomach acid too. Others have mentioned on here that too much acid in the new tiny tummy can feel like hunger. Some dr.'s prescribe PPIs for all their patients, others only as needed (mine was the latter). Those who are further out say it gets better, though! :thumbup1: I still get the churning feeling occasionally but it's not as bad now that I'm on the Prevacid. Although my surgeon didn't prescribe any refills so I'll be needing to get some more soon! I would say call your doctor, explain how you're feeling, ask him if he thinks it could be related to over-producing acid, and whether he will prescribe something. Let us know how it goes! :confused:

I've been frustrated with hunger also. There's no way I can stick to just 3 meals a day. In the mornings I feel like a bottomless pit and have a hard time making it to lunchtime. I'm often hungry 1-2 hours after a meal. I've been on either pepcid or prilosec since day one, so I think acid is not the issue. I was so hoping the switch from mushies to solids would take care of the problem, but nope, still hungry all the time. I've lost 24lbs since surgery (after almost 8wks) which I'm fine with...sort of hoping that slow weight loss might prevent Hair loss? Time will tell.

I've been frustrated with hunger also. There's no way I can stick to just 3 meals a day. In the mornings I feel like a bottomless pit and have a hard time making it to lunchtime. I'm often hungry 1-2 hours after a meal. I've been on either pepcid or prilosec since day one, so I think acid is not the issue. I was so hoping the switch from mushies to solids would take care of the problem, but nope, still hungry all the time. I've lost 24lbs since surgery (after almost 8wks) which I'm fine with...sort of hoping that slow weight loss might prevent hair loss? Time will tell.

That would be very frustrating! I can't say I know how you feel, but I'm sorry you're dealing with the hunger! Does your plan include Protein drinks? I know that is probably part of why I stay full pretty much all day. I have Breakfast a little later than most people probably do, then lunch, afternoon shake, dinner, nighttime shake. That is what works for me. Snacks aren't on my plan but I indulge myself occasionally. :confused:

I'm hungry a LOT as well, often shortly after eating. I haven't had a single problem with heartburn or reflux since surgery, although had problems with both beforehand. I have been taking Prevacid for several weeks and although I do still get hungry very often, I get way MORE hungry if I forget to take it in the morning.

I started back having a couple cups of coffee in the morning about the same time I started on the Prevacid... I know, terrible, but I has having SUCH a problem waking up and getting going in the morning. I'm thinking I'll get back off of that for a few days, keep taking the Prevacid, and see what happens.

I've also wondered about the -- oh crap, total brain fart -- the generic Actigall, to prevent gallbladder problems. I'm not going low-fat and not losing super-fast, so if getting off the coffee doesn't make a dfiference, I'm going to try stopping that and see if it has anything to do with it. Having that hunger is like having a constant low-grade headache... just 'there' enough be really uncomfortable and really, really annoying.

I've been frustrated with hunger also. There's no way I can stick to just 3 meals a day. In the mornings I feel like a bottomless pit and have a hard time making it to lunchtime. I'm often hungry 1-2 hours after a meal. I've been on either pepcid or prilosec since day one, so I think acid is not the issue. I was so hoping the switch from mushies to solids would take care of the problem, but nope, still hungry all the time. I've lost 24lbs since surgery (after almost 8wks) which I'm fine with...sort of hoping that slow weight loss might prevent hair loss? Time will tell.

Snacks aren't "allowed" on my plan either, but my nutritionist mentioned that if I wanted something, to find a low-carb, high Protein item to try. I've been using string cheese to fit that bill (since I cannot tolerate another Protein shake!!!) Not only does it keep me satisfied it helps to make sure I add more protein to my diet.

From what I've heard, acid reflux doesn't feel the same post-op as it did pre-op. Many people complain of hunger just to find that they need an acid reducer or to increase their dosage. As others have noted above, check with your doctor - you shouldn't have to worry about all this stuff right now. You are too busy healing and enjoying your smaller selves. :confused:

Yep, me too. I seem to be hungry a lot more than I expected to be and sure am looking forward to the possibility that it might taper off... I am taking my acid reducer very regularly and sure know when I forget (not often!) I find I am much better off eating small, lo-carb items here and there through the day like string cheese or a piece or two of some kind of lunch meat or chicken or maybe a hard boiled egg. My "meals" are so small and so lo carb that I don't see how I can possibly be harming my weight loss with these Snacks but on the days when the hunger really gnaws, something's gotta give and I don't feel guilty about it.

Loosing - you're doing great at 33 pounds. I'm at 39 and feel great about it. I do have to say that I've only had one stall that lasted for a week about two weeks after surgery. After really examining what I was eating (myfitnesspal.com) and really kicking the carbs to below 30/day, I've managed to avoid any more stalls. The fat is a little high but, as has been proven time and again, it's not fat that makes us fat, it's sugar (carbs) so I don't sweat that too much either.

Good luck to all of us, it sounds like we're all doing terrific!!

Carol

Yep, me too. I seem to be hungry a lot more than I expected to be and sure am looking forward to the possibility that it might taper off... I am taking my acid reducer very regularly and sure know when I forget (not often!) I find I am much better off eating small, lo-carb items here and there through the day like string cheese or a piece or two of some kind of lunch meat or chicken or maybe a hard boiled egg. My "meals" are so small and so lo carb that I don't see how I can possibly be harming my weight loss with these Snacks but on the days when the hunger really gnaws, something's gotta give and I don't feel guilty about it.

Loosing - you're doing great at 33 pounds. I'm at 39 and feel great about it. I do have to say that I've only had one stall that lasted for a week about two weeks after surgery. After really examining what I was eating (myfitnesspal.com) and really kicking the carbs to below 30/day, I've managed to avoid any more stalls. The fat is a little high but, as has been proven time and again, it's not fat that makes us fat, it's sugar (carbs) so I don't sweat that too much either.

Good luck to all of us, it sounds like we're all doing terrific!!

Carol

I'm considering VSG with Dr. Aceves versus VSP (Super Sleeve) with Dr. Ortiz. Undecided today,...any advice?:)

I am now 2 months out and have only lost 26 pounds - my weight has not budged in 2 weeks! I find that I am now hungry (no not thirsty) something has changed and I'm very frustrated - any advice? Did they not take out enough stomach and leave in hunger receptors? Advice?:)

yup, me too! always hungry. . but i know that my doctor did the surgery the way it was supposed to go. . .unfortunately alot of us also have hungry sensors in the pancreas. . that is the problem right there. . .i'm 8 months out and am loosing really slowly, but i'm loosing and that is the most important thing to me. . .i have come from 4XL clothing down to a 18 pants and shirts. . I'm very proud of this accomplishment. . .as far as the hunger thing, well its there and i'm stuck with it. . so i do the best i can. . i eat Breakfast, lunch and dinner. . . i stick in some healthy type of Snacks like fresh PEELED fruit, drink tons of Water, crystal light, sugarfree koolaid, diet sodas, I am so sure i surpass the 64 oz we are supposed to drink. . .i exercise 4-5 times a week for 1 hour each time. . . so i'm doing my thing, but i do give in to the occasional chocolate craving or pizza craving (not often but i do) . . i do have my rum and cokes on the weekends. . . just hang in there, it'll work for you. . i'm sure your not eating half as much as you did before the surgery. . . my doctor also says to mix it up a bit, don't remain on the same things every day, mix up the routine, either increase the calories and do different exercise routines, or whatever. . just confuse your body a bit. . . good luck!