Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

time off from work??

I was thinking of going to mexico and getting the vsg done but i work 6 days a week and its a very physical job i was wondering how did you guys get the time off of work i have trouble just getting a single personal day approved

just so you know surgery does fall under the FMLA guidelines. it is a federal law which allows you to have a leave of absence for up to a 12 week peroid of time per rolling year. you just need to talk with you HR department and fill out the proper paperwork. you will also have to have the doctor fill out a portion. i am sure the coordinators in mexico can work with you on the paper work..... all of this info is void it you are your own boss.... but if you work for someone else, just know that you can legally take off for medical issues and have your job back. at least check into it. there may be a criteria in regards to how big you work force is. i work in a hospital so it does apply to me..... good luck kelly

just so you know surgery does fall under the FMLA guidelines. it is a federal law which allows you to have a leave of absence for up to a 12 week peroid of time per rolling year. you just need to talk with you HR department and fill out the proper paperwork. you will also have to have the doctor fill out a portion. i am sure the coordinators in mexico can work with you on the paper work..... all of this info is void it you are your own boss.... but if you work for someone else, just know that you can legally take off for medical issues and have your job back. at least check into it. there may be a criteria in regards to how big you work force is. i work in a hospital so it does apply to me..... good luck kelly

How physical are we talking? If I had to return to a desk job, I would have returned 2 weeks out. I just felt kind of out of it for the first 14 days. Some days were great, others, not so much. Light physical? 3 weeks out. (That is when I started to work out) Heavy physical? I would say 8 weeks. I would just be really cautious because you really don't want to mess up an stitch or something internally.

my doc said Heavy stuff lifting after 6-8 weeks.

just so you know surgery does fall under the FMLA guidelines. it is a federal law which allows you to have a leave of absence for up to a 12 week peroid of time per rolling year. you just need to talk with you HR department and fill out the proper paperwork. you will also have to have the doctor fill out a portion. i am sure the coordinators in Mexico can work with you on the paper work..... all of this info is void it you are your own boss.... but if you work for someone else, just know that you can legally take off for medical issues and have your job back. at least check into it. there may be a criteria in regards to how big you work force is. i work in a hospital so it does apply to me..... good luck kelly

My situation is similar also. Im a new grad RN about to start at a healthcare facility, and in 3 1/2 to 4 months I want to take about 3 weeks off. By me being so new to the facility i'm wondering if this is possible? I think i kind of understand the medical leave of abscense part BUT when filling out paperwork would I have to disclose the TYPE OF PROCEDURE (VSG) i am having and WHERE (MEXICO) i am having the procedure? :) I know that my personal health status is suppose to be kept private and only on a "need to know basis" but i also know that things dont always work that way! I just don't want certain people in my business!!

FMLA does cover this. For the privacy, I would recommend you get you GP to write it up for you. My surgery was 9 days ago and I did work from home 1/2 days yesterday and 1/2 today. I feel good but tire easily. I'm not ready for anything physical. I do return to work Monday but I'll be working from the office (not always the case). However, after working yesterday and today I wonder how good I'm going to be in getting all my Water in and I found when I was working I got involved and forgot to keep sipping.

My program advised taking 4 weeks off and I am taking 4 weeks off. I have the sick time and didn't need to take any long term sick leave or anything. I do know I am lucky that I have a municipal gov't job and am able to do this.

One of the residents at the hospital told me I could return to work after 2 weeks if I felt good. I said no, think I will take the 4 that was recommended!

I think i kind of understand the medical leave of abscense part BUT when filling out paperwork would I have to disclose the TYPE OF PROCEDURE (VSG) i am having and WHERE (MEXICO) i am having the procedure? :) I know that my personal health status is suppose to be kept private and only on a "need to know basis" but i also know that things dont always work that way! I just don't want certain people in my business!!

I'd just put "abdominal surgery" and I don't think you'll have to fill in the Where (don't quote me on that!).

Just a note about FMLA... there are certain requirements that have to be met before you are eligible for FMLA. You said you were new to the field of nursing. In order to be technically eligible for FMLA, you must have worked for your employer for a certain number of hours (1250) and months (12). Be sure to check into the actual law on the department of labor website.

that is true regarding the FMLA requirements. for the new grad of nursing... have you started your job yet? it not, have you considered having your surgery and then starting your position? with acute care, especially adult acute care, you will need to be off at least 5 weeks to 6 weeks depending on your specific area of specialty. the hospital where i work requires that you be able to lift 50 lbs to be eligible to work in any of the acute care units. there may be different requirements at other facilities. good luck. kelly

that is true regarding the FMLA requirements. for the new grad of nursing... have you started your job yet? it not, have you considered having your surgery and then starting your position? with acute care, especially adult acute care, you will need to be off at least 5 weeks to 6 weeks depending on your specific area of specialty. the hospital where i work requires that you be able to lift 50 lbs to be eligible to work in any of the acute care units. there may be different requirements at other facilities. good luck. kelly

No, i start in 2 days. Having surgery before starting work was never an option because my pockets are empty:001_rolleyes:. I will just patiently wait out my year and in the mean time focus on trying to buckle down on healthier eating habits/ increasing exercise. Thanks!!

I have a very busy job, a lot of walking, sitting, standing lifting etc!! I went back to work after one week, felt very puny but I made it. You might have to do half days for awhile, good luck!!