Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else having problems with hiccups post-op? Happens when I am eating. I thought it was to signal I was full at first. Now it is happening after only a couple bites. It is starting to be quite annoying.

It gets better, I dealt with a lot of little burps, not hiccups early on, but it subsided after a couple of weeks. I get hiccups now as a full signal, or if I talk a lot during my meal. It's embarrassing especially when I'm out with my girlfriends. We talk a lot, and laugh even more. I hope it gets better for you.

I didn't have any issues with hiccups post op except for the MORNING after surgery. I honestly thought I was going to die. I had them for four and a half hours. :thumbup1: They finally gave me an injection of something in the leg that stopped them within 10 seconds. I don't know what the injection was, but it bruised my leg really bad! But anyways-it hurts and I am sure it is annoying! It will subside though!

nope, no problems with hiccups, burping out of control, nausea or anything for me. . but lately i've been major dizzy (pass out dizzy) . . been like that for this past month. . thought it would go away, but nope, so on tuesday, i'll discuss with doctor. . .

I do get hiccups. I have pretty much figured out for me that I get them when I am full and have eaten too fast. They are loud and uncontrollable. It has been very embarrassing when I am out in public. They do seem to be decreasing though. Probably because I am learning to slow down and read the signals of being full.

nope, no problems with hiccups, burping out of control, nausea or anything for me. . but lately i've been major dizzy (pass out dizzy) . . been like that for this past month. . thought it would go away, but nope, so on tuesday, i'll discuss with doctor. . .

I know what you mean last few days been getting pass out dizzy spells, when I get up too quick and just randomly too...and I get the hiccups. My appointment to see my surgeon is not for another 4 weeks (they only see you after the first 6 weeks here), so let me know what they say about your dizzy spells. Hope they get better for you soon x.

I was having dizzy spells too. When I saw my surgeon last week - they took me off my high blood pressure meds - my blood pressure was 99/55 before taking them. I haven't had the dizziness since.

Hey guys, I just my vsg this morning, and now I'm hiccuping tonight. Is this normal ?

Hey Bert -

I was thinking about you yesterday and hoping that the surgery went well for you.

I think hiccuping after the surgery is very normal. Even today, I think I hiccup a little more often after I eat than I used to. It really is no big deal, but it can be a little scary when you are still so sore from the surgery. Make sure you let your doctor know, just in case. My big fear in the days right after surgery was doing or allowing anything to happen that would cause a leak.

You'll probably be going for a leak test today, but the way. Not very pleasant, but it will give you great peace of mind when you find out there are no leaks.

The next few days and perhaps weeks are going to be the worst of it for you. Just know that it will get better and that the results are going to make it all worth while.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. You've got a lot of people here rooting for you!

Brian

I too get a lot of hiccups! Sometimes it is just 4-5 of them when I eat, can't be that I am full only after 1-2 small bites. Sometimes, I get them just sitting around. They are sure annoying!

I also gurgle alot in my throat after drinking. That is really annoying! It sounds like a sink draining!! LOL

Kelly :D

Yep, I get hiccups. But here's my weirdo thing - I start sneezing!!! Seriously!!!! When I reach the "magic bite" I will start sneezing and sneeze 7 or 8 times! It drives my daughter (grown daughter!!) and husband crazy! Ha! As if I can keep from doing it! But, yes, I also get hiccups on occassion right AFTER I eat.

Thank you Brian. I'm on the middle of my secnod day, and so far I'm doing better than expected. I've been walking around the hospital lobby several times today. Today wa also the first day of my clear liquid diet. It's easy to swallow, but I feel a slight stiffness right under my breast bone, near my heart. I'm assuming it'll get easier to eat solids?

Thank you Brian. I'm on the middle of my secnod day, and so far I'm doing better than expected. I've been walking around the hospital lobby several times today. Today wa also the first day of my clear liquid diet. It's easy to swallow, but I feel a slight stiffness right under my breast bone, near my heart. I'm assuming it'll get easier to eat solids?

Hi Bert! It definitely will get easier to eat. I had that awful stiff feeling for a few weeks. Maybe you won't have it that long!! I did notice that I could not comfortably eat as soon as most folks here, so I think I am in the minority. Anyway, the first few weeks have many surprises, annoyances and what not, but it all evens out in time.

Glad your surgery is done and you are on the road to recovery.smile.gifHappy Healing!