Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch 2 5K

Cross posted from my blog:

So, as all of you know who follow my blog, I haven't been the best a the big E....yes, sad to say, but my exercise has been lacking. So, while surfing YouTube a few days ago, I noticed a lot of those who had WLS were trying/doing/completed this Couch 25k program. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, its a 9 week program that trains you to run a 5K. Its for beginners so I thought, well, I'm a beginner, I'll try it.

Lemme just start by saying that, its been more than 20 years since I have jogged. Now, mind you, the last time I jogged, my body was ripped like Britanny Spears (ok, maybe not that hot, but I was an athlete at least..ha ha) Sooooooo....the workout goes like this: work out 3 times a week, walking and running in intervals (more walking than running at first) for 30 minutes. You can download various podcasts with someone guiding you when to walk/jog. OK, I got my 3 sports bras on, my skin tight leggins, and my running shoes..I get on the treadmill and start, hmmm..as I'm warming up I'm thinkin I'm going to rock this workout!! HA HA HA. I can report that I DIDN'T QUIT, and I DID all 8 (was it 8? I coudn't count much less breathe) sixty second jogs...however, I was seriously sweatin, huffin & puffin...but I DID IT!!! I am so proud of myself, even though I was jiggling in places I didn't know a person could jiggle..lmao! I felt like my body just 'woke up'! I know tomorrow I will be looking for the Ben-Gay or Icy-Hot, but for now, I'm damn proud of myself!! Friday is my next workout day, so wish me luck and stay tuned!!

Congrats Shontel ! ! ! I have a friend that loves Couch to 5K. I really suck at jogging, or running, and find it really awkward so I can't get into it. I've tried and tried so many times, and just can't do it.

Good luck and keep it up ! ! !

Shontel,

I'm so proud of you...run a mile or two for me until my knee heals up ok???

congrats on getting the exercise in!

Thanks Tiff & Tracy! I can report that I am beginning to feel the side effects right about now...now where is that Icy Hot?? lmao!

Shontel

Congrats! We can do this together. I am starting the jog/walk routine myself. I am signed up for a Triathlon in Sept where I have a 2 mile run. It may take me from now till Sept to get ready. I completely understand about the jiggling- :001_smile: I have been walking for 2 min and then running for 1 min- for a total of 30 min- is that what you are doing?

attitudefree- YAY! I'm starting with 3 min walking, 1 min jogging for the first week...then it progresses from there. I'm not brave enough to schedule any event yet, but who knows? Keep me posted on your progress! yay us!!

I am on w2d2. I love the program. The key is to do it every other day. If you try doing it every day it will kick your ass from here to China. :) I am running a 5k in May, a 10k in August and hopefully a full marathon by next spring. I have the program on my Iphone, so I listen to my own music and the program just tells me when to run, walk and stop. My favorite is when it tells me I am done. :)

Congrats girl! I am kind of doing the Couch to 5k too, but not consistently. I usually work out for about 45 minutes indoors (with my Jillian Michaels or Zumba DVDs) then take my dog out for a walk/jog. I have printed out the Couch to 5K program and kind of follow it with my jogs, but for a shorter time period...like 15 minutes. I'm so glad you were able to get through it! I couldn't jog more than 45 seconds at a time when I first started. :thumbup1: Great job girl!

Good for you! Running will give you your dream body.

there's so many theories and fancy combos of strength/cardio/yoga/cardioyogalates, etc etc etc but I still think a good old fashioned run is the best thing out there.

OK, I do some bootcamp too so I get plenty of squats, lunges, pushups and such in, but basically running got rid of ALL my weight and made me lean and toned with nice feminine muscles. Its the best.

Jachut-I'm so stoked by your encouragement!! Today will be my second workout, I'm glad you take a day off in between, my legs were talking to me yesterday...lol

attitudefree-Not sure, you can go to http://www.c25k.com and read about the whole workout program.

Edited by Shontel
corrected website addy

Shontel,

I tried the couch to 5k today and did not do the full 8 jogs, only 3 and I was so winded! I had just been in the pool doing a very good work out there and felt I was warmed up but it wasn't happening. I did pump the speed up to 3.9 for walking but it is a kick butt work out. I know I can do it!!! I have to do this!!! Keep us going Shontel and Jachut.

Itstime- Your Awesome for trying! We are about the same weight! I think what I'm going to do is do week 1 for 2 or 3 weeks until I can get through it without feeling like I'm going to die!! lol The great thing about the human body is that it is SO adaptable. Progressive exercise WILL enable you (all of us) to do more, and feel better. I have exercised off and on my whole life, was an athelete in High School, and am determined to get myself in shape (and shape my body..lol) Lets all keep each other posted!!

I saw my trainer on Friday. Here was her advice-

walk for 2 min run for 1 min total time 30 min for two weeks then increase the run by 15-30 sec and decrease the walk by the same time. Increase run segment every 2 weeks