Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aceves patients-did you have 3 month upper GI?

wowow, that's great news, thank you for the information. I will definitely check it out and organize an appointmente.

Do you think you might go in May? If so, let me know what day(s) you might be thinking. Gaby told me that May 15 is the one day a month they do two trips to the airport - for both pickup and then to drop back off that evening. She also gave me some other days I could come down, if I chose to drive... I'm thinking about it. It's only 5-6 hours from my house to Calexico, so it wouldn't be too bad. :001_huh:

Youknowit,

I'm am going to be in Reno for a bowling tournament the week of May 16th, It may be possible for me to take a few extra days offand drive to Mexicali, could pick you up on the way. Can leave Reno on Thursday. I haven't talked with Nina about scheduling this yet, I was thinking if they could do this Friday or Saturday I could be back by Tuesday for work on Wed. Let me know what you think.

Brenda

Anyone out there have their sleeve done in Mexico and had a problem asking their US Doctor for the 3 month follow-up and the US doctor balking at your request because it would have to be documented as "follow-up post surgery"?

My pcp was happy to oblige! I used it as a perfect opportunity for a yearly physical...blood work etc standard . I got the Upper GI done with a medical order to check for acid reflux damage post surgery. No problems!

K

OregonDaisy, when are you coming to Arizona and where is your dad's house? I'm about halfway between Phoenix and Tucson and would ride with you if you liked.

Of course, if the doctor orders it, do it, but I am still curious as to WHY you'd need this done.

Is it to check for gallbladder issues? From what I understand, at 3 months out it's almost unheard of to have a leak. The only other thing I could think of would be esophageal issues due to reflux. Anyone know?

Youknowit,

I'm am going to be in Reno for a bowling tournament the week of May 16th, It may be possible for me to take a few extra days offand drive to Mexicali, could pick you up on the way. Can leave Reno on Thursday. I haven't talked with Nina about scheduling this yet, I was thinking if they could do this Friday or Saturday I could be back by Tuesday for work on Wed. Let me know what you think.

Brenda

Brenda,

Do you mean Thursday, May 20? If so, that's (literally) the only weekend I can't do this... as I am in a friends wedding here in town. :confused: If you mean the weekend before, that's doable. Let me know. This would be a fun, and great adventure! Are you driving from PA to Reno? Ah!

:drool:

Of course, if the doctor orders it, do it, but I am still curious as to WHY you'd need this done.

Is it to check for gallbladder issues? From what I understand, at 3 months out it's almost unheard of to have a leak. The only other thing I could think of would be esophageal issues due to reflux. Anyone know?

It's not just an upper-GI/leak test. They do the bloodwork to check your Protein, Iron, etc. Vitamin deficiency is a well-known problem with many bariatric patients, and some people do have problems (I did in the past with Vitamin deficiencies, especially Iron). Anyone else want to share their thoughts or their doctors thoughts on this?

Best! :confused:

I took Iron for a long time to try to counteract anemia. The trick is to look for ferrous GLUCONATE instead of ferrous sulfate. Much easier on the system. They have it at Walgreens, sometimes it's behind the counter and you have to ask.

Brenda,

Do you mean Thursday, May 20? If so, that's (literally) the only weekend I can't do this... as I am in a friends wedding here in town. :thumbup1: If you mean the weekend before, that's doable. Let me know. This would be a fun, and great adventure! Are you driving from PA to Reno? Ah!

:blushing:

That might be doable for me, I have to be in Reno for bowling tourn. on Tuesday and my reservation for hotel is set up to arrive on Sunday 16th.

I could leave here on Wed. the 12th. Yes I am dirving to Reno.

Brenda

Anyone out there taking Iron as a supplement? Is it hard on your stomach?

I take Iron every single day of my life, had to take up to three pills a day last year when my hemoglobin dropped to SIX. It was a very scary time. I did have tummy troubles with the three pills a day, but one a day, never had a problem. The only recommendation I can give on this is to take it with food. Even just a little sip of Water and a cracker. This should eliminate any "iron burps" as I call them, or irritation to your tummy. Beyond my having had severe/chronic anemia in the past, my surgeon (Dr. Aceves) states in his post-surgical instructions that all women should plan to take an iron pill everyday for the rest of their child-bearing years (as long as you still have a period). I'll still do so forever, as my problem isn't periods or anything, it is absorption issues in my stomach.

Hope this helps. - :)

Thanks very much for the Iron recommendations. I'm out of my child-bearing years - but assuming I should still take the iron???