Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aceves patients-did you have 3 month upper GI?

I posted same question on the other site and was told that I shouldnt need one...blah blah blah....

How many of you had it done at 3 months?

Thanks

Kris

I haven't reached 3 months yet but I am planning on an upper GI, yes. And full blood work. Here's the interesting thing; I contacted a couple of standard docs in the area and found out I am looking at thousands (4-7+) of dollars for an upper GI. I was stunned to the point of cashing in more miles and going back to Mexicali where I could have it done for $150 (!!!!). But, then I contacted a clinic here that does all kinds of radiology including upper GI's - guess what? $150! So, I'm going locally although secretly I was looking forward to seeing the Aceves team again... :tongue_smilie: I've found a similiar place for bloodwork but they require a script. I will see if they will take one from Aceves or I will have my local doctor friend write one.

Voila! And good luck. And yes, I think it's a very wise idea to have this done.

Carol

wow...thats sooooooo expensive! I just asked my pcp for a perscrip...she wrote it with the Dx of GERD...insurance will cover it. I had my bloodwork done at 2 months because i wanted to know if i was on target..and was happily surprised to see a drop of 100 pts in cholesterol! all else was fine.

Thanks for your response!

k

I'm not a Dr. Aceves patient, but I had one done at 8 months just because I was out for gallbladder surgery.

My surgeon likes to do a scope between 9-12 months post-op, but doesn't require it unless a patient is having issues.

Congrats on your cholesterol dropping. I was super stoked my good cholesterol increased quite a bit at my 7 month follow up.

I did not have one at 3 months; however, I did have one at 1 month because I was having trouble. I did have full blood work done at 3 months and everything came back great.

I had the upper GI and blood work at 3 months as Dr Aceves recommended. My internist ordered them and is very supportive.

On the other hand, she recommended I see the nutritionist, who was totally opposed to the 600-800 calorie diet and tried to get me to increase to 1200 calories. Obviously she did not understand my program. I did learn a lot from her about some aspects of my nutrititoin (or lack thereof). I'm still on the diet prescribed by Dr Aceves but have added ground flax seed, and a few other healthy items suggested by the nutritionist. It just goes to show that what we are doing post-vsg is not understood by a lot of professionals...I think it is cutting edge and we are very lucky to have found it in its' early stages.

My opinion...follow your surgeon's orders.

Hello...I'm brand new here. I haven't yet posted because I've been absorbing everything like a sponge.

I hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting this and I'll certainly delete this if I am but I saw your post about needing a script for the bloodwork.

I run a company called DirectLabs and we sell discounted bloodwork directly to the consumer. So you don't need doctor's orders for your bloodtests....we provide that for you AND at up to 80% cash prices at the labs. We use LabCorp for all our bloodtests and are bringing Quest on board as a backup for places where there are no convenient LabCorp's.

The website is in my profile I believe. www.directlabs.com.

I just wanted to make you aware of that option and that it could certainly save you money.

Edited by goodlife

Because I had the band before, with major erosion... and because I am a revision from band to sleeve (though one year after my band was removed), I will DEFINITELY be getting the upper-GI and bloodwork with Dr. Aceves. I live in Nevada, so the drive is 6-7 hours? The flight to SanDiego is 50 minutes and a 90 minute drive from there... either way, I'm going in a couple of months. I'm hoping all will check out A-OK!

Best to all! :)

I will be one year post op next month and I haven't had one. I would like to have one, but money is the issue. I am not having any problems though. I hope to go back to Dr. Aceves some day when I go to take care of my dad's house in Arizona. I really hate to make that drive alone. I hope I can find someone to go with me.

Edited by Oregondaisy

Oregon... If you plan to come down this way in the next couple of months, I would totally go with you! Let me know what you think... or, if you are in AZ further out, I'd still love to catch up! :tongue_smilie:

I returned for my 3 month check up with Dr. Aceves last weekend. Couldn't have asked for a more thorough check. Was much, much cheaper than having it done at home. $150.00 for labs, x rays, and physician visit. If you can't get down there for your checkup, I really encourage you to get your check as directed by Dr. Aceves upon discharge from having the sleeve with your primary care physician. I don't think he would recommend that you do it if he didn't think it was important.

I agree, Marilyn... If it's recommended, do whatever you need to do to get it done... We paid thousands of dollars for this, and it's our health we're talking about, not a car check-up. ;) Also, for me at least, if they tell me to do something, I am following 100%... with my band I had NO problems (that I knew of), no symptoms of trouble... and I was SEVERELY eroded into my stomach. Had I not gone into surgery for removal/revision and found that, the band would have eventually punctured completely through my stomach wall, and I would have had acid leaking into my abdomen. This could have literally killed me. NO BUENO! :scared0: I just don't trust my own body to tell me everything I need to know... so getting checked out is a priority for me. :tongue_smilie:

best to everyone on this sunny (vegas) sunday! :blink:

Wondering if any of Dr. Aceves January or February patients will be heading down for the 3(ish) month followup? I am hoping to head down in May, and Gaby told me that they do their one day a month of pickup and drop back off at the airport on May 15. Anyone else down for this? It'd be nice to meet some of my sleeve sisters and brothers, if you'll be there. If not, I would also consider driving down on another day in May, if anyone else might be there at another time? Do let me know, and maybe we can coordinate this together!

Best! :(

Edited by youknowit

I didn't know we could have our 3 month upper GI and blood work done by Dr. Aceves? How much do they charge. This is the first I have heard of this? How many others have done this?

Dee

It's recommended for everyone, and it's $150. That includes bloodwork and the upper GI xray. They don't charge for seeing the doc. Many have gone back to Dr. A for this followup, but, a lot of people get it done back home as well... You can email Gaby and she'll give you all the info on it.

Hope this helps! :smile: