Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Date, March 19, Please describe the Pain

Hello Veterans Sleevers.. Just trying to wrap my emotions around the pain which may be experienced. I have one child (23 years old) and still remember labor pains. Is the surgery pain comparable to child birth??? Also, are the drains normally removed before discharge. My surgery is with Dr. Aceves in Mexico. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks to all!!:001_tt2:

Personally, childbirth was way worse than my band or revision.

My revision was probably the least painful surgery I've endured. I had the normal gas pain, and a little bubble got trapped up near my collarbone. But, abdominal pain was honestly nothing. I was up walking, talking and laughing with the nurses. Now, for my gb surgery, that one had the most upper abdominal pain.

The main area for my pain was where the port was located. During my revision, my surgeon took down and removed tons of scar tissue and adhesions so I'm shocked it didn't hurt more.

Everyone's pain threshold is different, and it really varies. Most of Dr. Aceves patients refer to having little discomfort, and mainly gas pains from what I can remember reading. The drains come out before they discharge you from the hospital.

I have found from this board that everyones experience is so individual. I had surgery Feb 8th and overall would say it was not bad at all. Discomfort is how I would describe it. Didn't wake up in alot of pain. It was hard to get up the first time to walk, and I think sitting and standing was the most difficult "pain" I had. The drain I came home with and had for the 1st week. That bothered me, not pain but I felt alot better once it was gone, but it is there for a reason. Within a week I felt much better just tired.

I would definately say no comparison to childbirth! That was much worse.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery, you will do great. Make sure to keep posting, there are so many people on here with great advice to give. They have all helped me so much and it is great to have somewhere to turn where people know exactly how you feel and what your going through.

Diane:001_smile:

Exceedingly minimal. My muscles were sore for a few days afterward. I only had actual "pain" when going from lying down to sitting, right at the main scar, and that rated maybe a 4/10. That got better everyday. My surgery was on a Monday and by Sunday, there was nothing whatsoever... the only thing reminding me that I'd had anything done (other than the liquid diet) was that I still had a (painless) drain in.... otherwise I felt 100% normal.

You are kept nicely medicated in the hospital. I mostly felt like I had done a gazillion sit ups. Sore more than pain. As was already mentioned everyone is different.

The drain is removed in the hospital.

Thanks sooo very much!! You guys are my angels!! I just really so appreciate all the support and will definitely keep you updated before and most definitely after the surgery. As a bag full of emotions, it so nice to have this forum to learn on and for support!

I wouldn't even classify what I felt post op as pain, more a kind of discomfort. Got good meds in hospital and then I think I took the pills I got for the pain for an additional three days afterwards. Have since had a kidney stone, which somebody said is just a bit more painful than giving birth, so I now know pain when I see it :tongue_smilie:

i didn't feel that much pain, nothing compared to when i had my c section. it's a bearable pain........plus you're in excellent hands with Dr. Aceves....i wish you the best and please keep us posted!!!:tongue_smilie:

The pain is minimal is more soreness than anything, I had my surgery done this past Monday and by Saturday I was walking with my family in the mall. The second day is the most uncorfortable, but walking and sips will do the trick!

many blessings to you!!

By the time I got back home to the States, I didn't really need the pain pills... I've taken some liquid Tylenol on occasion, for aches mostly, but nothing more than that. Getting the sleeve was a great experience for me (as opposed to having the band removed, which was tough for me); I've felt better and better every single day since the second day after surgery (the day after surgery is tough, but you're there in the hospital, so you will be A-OK). :smile::smile::smile: Don't be afraid to ask for pain or other meds at the hospital with Dr. Aceves staff. They are VERY good about giving you what you need, and helping with anything at all! I have been to the Almater Hospital with Dr. A twice now, and I wouldn't go anywhere else. Best to you! :smile::smile: