Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Y'all will not believe this article...very insightful

Alex just posted this. It is a "must read". I can't wait to hear the comments...

Lose weight without exercise!

I'll admit my adult ADD kicked in halfway through the article, but from what I gathered that guy just talked in circles.

The article IS too long. .. But he basically says it's more important to limit calories than to exercise, if your goal is wt loss. His premise is that exercise burns very few, but limiting calories to 6-800, which is what we are recommended to do after the sleeve, is the most important factor in losing the weight.

OMG! he could have summed that up in one paragraph, got to admit there wasn't that much info in the article at all. Or is it just me??

Some people like to talk just to hear themselves "rattle".

The article is long because it provides 2 contrary points of view -- one doc is pro exercise and the other is not and they say why.

Pro- Exercise:

- exercise is beneficial and needed to maintain overall health

- exercise helps in weight loss because exercise decreases one's appetite for a time

- athletes can burn 5,000 calories in a day

Con-Exercise:

- exercise does not help weightloss as much as cutting calories

- people who exercised over estimate calories burned by an average of 4X

- people who ate the number of calories they believed they just burned, over-ate by 440 calories

I used to exercise 6-7 days a week, up to 2.5 hours a day (cardio every day + weights) for 3 years. In the first year I lost 65 pounds out of the 80 I had to lose and could only maintain it for about 2 months. The rest of the time, I was between 155-160 pounds (no, muscle does not weight more than fat -- 1 lb = 1lb; muscle takes less space).

After I started researching and writing, after exercising I sat at a computer for 12-14 hours a day. I never did reach my goal weight because I could not exercise enough and keep down my hunger at the same time. To burn as many calories as an athlete, one must train like an athlete and I could not. It was less than a year before I gained all the weight back plus another 40 pounds. I needed the sleeve because I could not keep myself from eating.

Exercising kept me away from the pantry and the refrigerator for the time I was exercising! :crying:

Exercising made me feel great because it made me smaller but not lighter.

I could never exercise the amount I needed to, to reach goal weight

Sorry -- replied to incorrect part of thread, incorrectly

The article is long because it provides 2 contrary points of view, plus a summary by the reporter -- one doc is pro exercise and the other is not and they say why.

Pro- Exercise:

- exercise is beneficial and needed to maintain overall health

- exercise helps in weight loss because exercise decreases one's appetite for a time

- athletes can burn 5,000 calories in a day

Con-Exercise:

- exercise does not help weightloss as much as cutting calories

- people who exercised over estimate calories burned by an average of 4X

- people who ate the number of calories they believed they just burned, over-ate by 440 calories

I used to exercise 6-7 days a week, up to 2.5 hours a day (cardio every day + weights) for 3 years. In the first year I lost 65 pounds out of the 80 I had to lose and could only maintain it for about 2 months. The rest of the time, I was between 155-160 pounds (no, muscle does not weigh more than fat -- 1 lb = 1lb; muscle takes less and different space).

After I started researching and writing, after exercising I sat at a computer for 12-14 hours a day. I never did reach my goal weight because I could not exercise enough and keep down my hunger at the same time. To burn as many calories as an athlete, one must train like an athlete and I could not. It was less than a year before I gained all the weight back plus another 40 pounds. I needed the sleeve because I could not keep myself from eating.

Here's what I learned about me:

Exercising kept me away from the pantry and the refrigerator for the time I was exercising! :crying:

Exercising made me feel great because it made me smaller but not lighter and because it made me look more like other people expect un-fat people to look.

I could never exercise the amount I needed to, to reach goal weight. I was always too hungry to do so.

The older I got, the more exercise I needed to maintain some shape and decrease my weight.

Still a pre op so take what I say w/ that in mind. I was a part of a biggest loser competition at my gym and worked w/ a trainer 5x a week for an hour then had to work out 7 days a week additionaly for an hour a time each. With all this my "weight loss" was only 18 lbs, but I lost almost 33 inches. And in the seminars we did w/ the lead trainer he said the thing that determines 70-80% of OVERALL HEALTH is what we put in our mouths. It wasn't even a statement about weight. It was about health and what a big percentage what we eat plays in it.

food is only one component. We might not be able to get them all at once, but to be truly healthy which for me is the overall goal, we must exercise too.