Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low blood pressure issues

I know I shared with a few of you about the low blood pressure issues I've been having for the last few weeks.

I finally broke down and went to my PCP yesterday because honestly I having up to 6 episodes per day.

My PCP believe I have developed orthostatic hypotension, but it's source/reason is unknown at this point. He order a huge panel of labs, and the results came back today.

Everything is normal there is not one bodily function that is not within normal limits, or even low normal. He said my bloodwork looked really great. He also did a urinalysis, and pregnancy test. Both were negative.

I have a follow up next Thursday, and for the next 6 days I have to keep a diary of when these episodes occur in attempts to find a trend. A referral to a cardiologist is in the future if the episodes increase, or don't decrease over the next week.

I have been instructed to increase my Fluid intake, add full sugar gatorade/powerade, and to stop limiting my sodium intake, but to not go overboard. I had been watching sodium intake to avoid Water weight/retention.

The episodes I'm experiencing are almost fainting spells, dizzyness, and fatigue. I can sleep for 9-10 hours a night, and still feel drained. It's getting warmer here finally so I think that I'm going to start going to walk around the track or soccer field just to get out of the house, and increase my activity. I'm not allowed to take any type of cold/cough medication.

This all started a couple weeks after my gb surgery on Feb 4th, and I just kept thinking it would get better. Well, I had to finally break down and tell John because the episodes started occurring more frequently, and I couldn't ignore the danger I was putting myself in being home by myself.

Tiff,

I am so sorry, I know that you have experienced loads of difficulties. I looked up some info on your condition and found it interesting that one of the causes are the meds used post surgery.

Low blood pressure is commonly caused by drugs such as:

• Alcohol
  • Anti-anxiety medications
  • Certain antidepressants
  • Diuretics
  • Heart medicines, including those used to treat high blood pressure and coronary heart disease
  • Medications used for surgery
  • Painkillers

Is it possible that there is a bleed somewhere in your body from your surgery? Would it be possible to visit w/your surgeon? I'm so sorry that you have to change the food things too, I'm sure that will be scary emotionally after you've had so much success. You are in our thoughts and prayers, take care of yourself and let John take care of you.

Anna

Sorry, the article mentioned that you may want to ask for an xray of your abdomen...good luck sweet lady!

Thanks for the information. I have a rare idiopathic clotting disorderd that is similar to von Willebrands disease. If I had a bleed, my CBC would reflect it somewhere, but my hemoglobin, hematocrit and RBC counts were all normal. My PCP did palpate my abdomen as well, no pain, no bruising.

I haven't drank since mid January, and even then it was just a glass of wine. I haven't taken the Wellbutrin since before my gb surgery. The only meds I was taking was Mucinex, and Nyquil liqui caps generally at night before bed to help with the chest cold. I saw my surgeon on the 22nd, he's the one that told me to f/u with my PCP for further diagnostics as he doesn't believe it's related to either of the surgeries. It could be that my body is trying to adjust to my normal weight, but we want to rule out any other abnormalities.

Tiffy,

Thinking of you and hope you get to the bottom of this and back on your way. You deserve a break about now!!

Tiff, I'm so glad you got to the doctor about this. I'm hoping to get in this next week regarding my low blood pressure issues. It got better for me for a couple days (I increased sodium and Water intake), but this last week had a few readings with the top number 90 and 91. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Did he do a serum B HCG? I still think that you could be pg and maybe have a false negative urine test...the blood test, B HCG would be definitive.:wink0:

Did he do a serum B HCG? I still think that you could be pg and maybe have a false negative urine test...the blood test, B HCG would be definitive.:wink0:

He didn't run a blood HCG. I thought he did, but I just read my copy of the lab order. I'm technically 5 days late at this point so being pregnant is quite possible.

I fell asleep last night at 9:30 p.m., and just woke up at 8:00 a.m. I'm not having any other symptoms of pregnancy except fatigue. No sore boobies, no increased urination, I am wanting to eat more junk food which is definitely not normal.

If I don't start by Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll test again at home, and ask for a blood HCG test to be pulled on Thursday at my follow up.

Early in pregnancy, dizzyness can be triggered by low blood pressure, and also by low blood sugar.

tiffy, i am so glad that you went to your pcp. i am also sorry that you are having to go through all of this. hopefully they can figure out what the heck is going on. please keep us posted and i will keep you in my prayers. keep your chin up girl and take care. lol.

Did your PCP test your magnesium? When mine is low, I have low blood pressure: 100/60

Samantha

Ohhh, I'm not sure, I'll have to ask when I see him on Thursday.

Thanks for the tip.

So, far today, I've had zero episodes and yesterday I only had 3. I worked out pretty vigorously yesterday, and today was pretty active this morning.

I refuse to work out on the weekends, but maybe the working out yesterday helped me today.

I'm not sure. I found Sobe lifewaters at Dollar General 10 for $10, so I loaded up on those because regular Water is just crappy lately. I've been tanking up on Gatorade, and grape juice.

I ate A LOT yesterday, and felt really great. I hit close to 1500 calories which is the first time. Grant it, I ate a lot of nutritional empty calories, but cheesy poofs are my new sleeve crack addiction.

It was a good day today. I hope tomorrow is just as good.

Well, no need to test I started today.

X that theory. I hope things improve. Maybe you need more calories for the strenuous workouts!

i'm also glad you went to the doctor and also glad he didn't find nothing but hope they do find something to give you an answer??? (ok that don't make any sense but here a bunch of kisses and hugs!)