Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Postops: Are you happier?

I've battled my weight all my life, and I keep thinking about how much happier I'll be when I lose the weight once and for all. Then I think about the research out there that says people's happiness levels are pretty much fixed -- even people who have, say, a limb amputated generally are able to regain their pre-amputation level of happiness in most cases.

Hence my question: If you've had your surgery and lost your weight, are you happier? Has being thin(ner) met your expectations?

I'm 24 pounds down & feeling great about the changes to my body. Happiness? I don't know if I measure my happiness by my weight. But, I do judge it by what I can and can't do. Before surgery, I couldn't participate in a lot of physical activity - and with 3 boys and a husband, there is a lot of that in my family. So, will my quality of life improve? I believe so. Will that help me to be happier? I believe so.

I'll touch back this summer & let you know how hiking with my boys goes!

MlkPas,

This is GREAT question and nicely stated. I can't wait to hear the rest of the responses. I definitely agree with MINI-Me that quality of life is an important factor.

I was always a pretty jolly, happy go lucky kind of girl pre-op. With that being said, I am still the same, but I feel I am more in touch with other emotions. I have found that my stress level is a bit higher than it was pre-op. I get a little more moody at times, and it's frustrating for myself and my family. Overall, I'm ecstatic with my weight loss and appearance. I am with Mini about quality of life. I feel like I'm actually living instead of going through the motions. I can and do many things that I couldn't pre-op and that brings me great joy. I have noticed recently that my shopping habits are borderline obsessive. I feel like I shop constantly, and I seriously need to get a grip on it.

It's not just clothes shopping, it's grocery shopping, cleaning supplies, all kinds of stuff, we don't necessarily need, but I buy it. I'm still a work in progress.

For the most part, I am happier being skinny. But, it's more related to how I'm living than my actual body weight. I hope that makes sense.

Well, everything is getting better and more enjoyable, ie. sex, putting on shoes, trying on clothes, walks, flying, the list goes on and one. One of the best is throwing clothes in a box knowing they will never fit me again. I have pants in my closet from 34w to 46w. This is the first time I know I will not be gaining the weight back so as I shrink the larger clothes are gone. This is a good feeling.

I have had stomach swelling issues, but feel it is getting better, so the smiles are coming on strong.

Happier,, ?? yeah, for sure..