Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK - so I ordered the sample pack of nectar's. I tried my first one this morning - the strawberry mousse... I swear I almost threw up. Its almost an hour later now and I still feel like puking. I mixed it with 16oz of Water. MY GAWD! How do people drink this stuff?!?!?! I downed it but know that once I have my surgery I wont be able to drink like that. Ugh. I'm so grossed out. Please tell me the other flavors aren't so nasty and don't have such a gross texture... :)

I started to try my samples then I decided to wait until after my revision (mine is 4 days after yours!) I am going to buy some bottle of Isopure (I did try the orange it was tolerable) I also ordered a second sample pack of Injury and a container of unflavored . Since we will only be able to sip I am thinking I'll have enough to get me through the clear liquid and then when I can add milk (I will add soy milk) it will be easier to tolerate some of the others. I also only kept the samples that were whey Protein. I am going to try and use only whey isolate once my other samples are gone. It is the most bioavailable . I also dusted off my juicer and I am going to start juicing. made me some carrot and apple, soooo good? I am planning on mixing the unflavored injury into to get my protein in.

Best of luck!!!

(I also have a small 5 oz measuring glass, got it @ Walmart a while ago, it looks perfect to help me keep track of the amount we can drink at one time)

D.

I didn't care for the strawberry mousse at all! Pre-op I liked the chocolate Truffle flavor, and post-op I didn't like it so much. But now I will drink it if I make it with skim milk (I hate my shakes with Water, it really does make a taste difference) and add a tablespoon of PB2.

Also, there are soooo many supplements out there it's just about finding which one's right for you! I drink Gold Standard 100% Whey in Caramel Toffee Fudge, and that works for me. I loved it pre-op, now it's just okay but I got sick of testing powders. :w00t: BUT, what is okay with me might taste like crap to you. And it really does make a difference for some post-op as far as taste goes. I thought the chocolate truffle tasted like chocolate milk pre-op but now it's a little too sweet for me without the PB2.

Thanks for the reply Stuck!

Ya - I'm trying to do just the whey isolate. It seems to be the most complete. I am a juicer as well - I'm really big on green juices. I could probably buy some unflavored and mix it in but I worry about the texture now. Also - I don't know what I will be juicing every day. What is the Injury? I'm kind new to all of this. I would love to get the ready to drink stuff but it is so expensive, especially if you need it twice a day. What to do?!?

Hello from one Mid-west girl to another! So you like the GS 100%... good to know! I was on the website for the Vitamin Shoppe this morning and that stuff gets some great reviews. Some people said they didn't like the fact it has sugar in it but when I looked at the label it is not much at all, 1g I think, and only 130 cal per serving.

I am going to try the chocolate and coffee flavored ones I have with some Almond milk (I make it myself) and see if I like it. AM is pretty sweet on its own so I don't know how that will go down with the sweetness of the powders. It's also thin so should be good for the clear liquid phase.

It's hard figuring this out without breaking the bank, isn't it?!? eeek! :w00t:

Hi,

It's amazing how different our tastes are. But, I think if you mix the nectar correctly, they recommend less than half the Water you used (I use 8 oz) you might like it better. I "overwatered" one time and it was indeed horrible. Correct measurement makes all the difference in the world IMHO. I just reordered a double nectar sample pack from Vitalady.com as Nectar is the only one I can do mixed with Water and I really like their high Protein, no carbs and pretty good taste.

Another thing I do is shake it like crazy, in a shaker, of course, with lots of ice. I think the cold helps too. It does foam but I don't mind it. I have to add also, that I have not tried the strawberry Mousse but have had most of the other flavors and liked them all.

unjury is another one that I can do easily but many here despise it. I find the unflavored goes great in Soups and I throw the vanilla in yogurt or whatever sweet. The chickes Soup wasn't bad to me either. They have sample packs available. I think Unjury is available on-line only.

Good Luck!!

Carol

The only flavor of the nectar brand I liked was the cappucino one, and I only drank that for a couple of days before I gave it to my neighbor that had RNY 6 yrs ago.

I tried over 20 different brands and flavors, and only found one that I could tolerate. Actually 2, but I really hated drinking them. Muscle Milk light ready to drink wasn't too terrible, and I could choke that one down if it was practically frozen.

Optimum whey extreme milk chocolate is the one that I truly liked for taste, texture, and lack of Protein smell.

Optimum whey is available at GNC, but I order ours from here. My husband uses it as a recovery Protein after lifting weights.

There is a sample pack available on this website.

Bodybuilding.com - Optimum 100% Whey Protein - With Faster-Acting HYDROWHEY! On sale now!

Nectar has been my favorite by far, although I have only tried 5-6 flavors and strawberry Mousse was not one of them. I really like the Strawberry Kiwi and Fuzzy Navel flavors. The Muscle Milk Light is awesome too!

I like the Roadside Lemonade nectar. I do have to mix in a little Crystal Lite....not too much or it will be too sour.

I also like the Isopure drinks from GNC. There are several flavors. Somewhat like Kool ade but not as sweet. They tend to dry my mouth, but there's 40 g Protein in a 20 oz bottle, no carbs and 160 calories. A good way to get the majority of your Protein in.

We're all so different. I had to dump the Fuzzy Navel because I thought it was vile. I loved Chike pre-op and ordered big chocolate and orange tubs. Post-op they gave me severe runs. Muscle Milk Light is way too sweet post-op. Optimum Nutrition Rich chocolate also gave me the runs for 5 days then on day 13 I could tolerate it. I think the whey really wreaked havoc with my system during the full liquid stage. I tried Isopure RTD post op and just the smell made me want to hurl. I mixed with soymilk so it wasn't milk causing intolerance.

So please don't stock up on anything until you're post op. Get some sample packets to try once you're on full liquids. You may be very surprised at how sticky sweet everything tastes. I know... amazing that things can be too sweet!

We're all so different. I had to dump the Fuzzy Navel because I thought it was vile. I loved Chike pre-op and ordered big chocolate and orange tubs. Post-op they gave me severe runs. Muscle Milk Light is way too sweet post-op. Optimum Nutrition Rich chocolate also gave me the runs for 5 days then on day 13 I could tolerate it. I think the Whey really wreaked havoc with my system during the full liquid stage. I tried Isopure RTD post op and just the smell made me want to hurl. I mixed with soymilk so it wasn't milk causing intolerance.

So please don't stock up on anything until you're post op. Get some sample packets to try once you're on full liquids. You may be very surprised at how sticky sweet everything tastes. I know... amazing that things can be too sweet!

I didn't like the fuzzy navel either. UGH. I also liked Chike chocolate, even though I'm not a chocolate lover. samples are really the only way to go until you know what you can tolerate. If I had a choice, I wouldn't drink ANY of them. LOL

Carol - you are right - I did use twice the amount of Water and maybe that was the problem. I could have swore I read that most people diluted it more because it was too sweet I guess I thought that it would just make it more watery. I'll try another flavor at the correct percentage - maybe blend it with ice to make it colder too!!! I also will check out the unflavored one you suggested as I would like to just add it to other things without drinking it straight up. Thanks!!!

Tiffykins - I was also looking at the Optimum on line this morning - I'll get that sample pack, thanks!

You guys are all giving me great advice and options, thanks! I get bored really easy so will stick to the sample packs for a while. I'd love to get those shots that are supposed to be like kool aid but man, they are expensive! I'm looking at spending about a buck a serving so that means powders!

Those shots don't taste like Kool-Aid. They taste like super thick cough Syrup with a hint of sweet tart candy LOL. That is my experience with them.

They aren't the best form of Protein, but it's better than no Protein. They are super sweet post-op for most. I had dilute them down because they are so syrupy and sweet.