Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fried Food Hell?

I will be traveling to the rural England when I am about 2 months out of surgery. All they ever eat is bacon sandwiches with butter, (can you believe they put butter on this. No mayo in that country, especially not lite mayo) Fried fish and chips, and Roast Beef (Not a healthy lean kind) Please, does anyone have any ideas here? Can any of you veterans handle fish at 2 months out maybe with the coating removed? I am afraid I will be malnourished by the time 1 month of this food is complete.

Get a bacon bap without butter and don't eat the bun :lol0:. Sounds sooo good right now! If you're not going to be eating out much you wouldn't have a problem finding lean cuts of meat and fresh produce. And lots of cheeses to choose from! I'm not sure how rural you will be, but there's no shortage of Subways and Chinese restaurants if you must eat out. You could just eat the fixin's at Subway or order some Soup or chicken with veg at a Chinese restaurant. Not sure what's healthy Indian-food wise but that's quite prevalent as well. I would also think most places would have a plain old grilled or marinated chicken breast. Have fun!!! Whereabouts in England are you going? I studied abroad in Bangor, Wales, for a semester. :P

I'm 9 months out, and fried foods even with the breading peeled off upset my sleeve. I've attempted it a couple of times, and it's instant discomfort for me.

Now, with that being said, I've never been a big fried food eater. I don't fry food at home, I hate McDonalds and preferred places like Arby's and Subway over McDonald's or Burger King.

Pack Protein powder and Protein Bars to supplement your meals. I had to do this because my in-laws fry everything, and I mean everything. 3 meals a day are fried. For Thanksgiving, all my mother-in-law does is take 2 sticks of real butter, and slather the turkey inside and outside of the skin with 2 entire sticks of butter. OHHHH, least to say, I survived a week in the hills of WV on Protein Bars, cheese and yogurts.

Oh Tiff-

2 sticks of BUTTER! :P Wow. Now thats a Thanksgiving meal to remember.

Great suggestions. I hadn't even thought about taking my own Protein powder. Brillant. :lol0:

I just kept thinking about try some spices, and seasoning to actually flavor the turkey instead of just butter. It was horrific. I could feel their arteries clogging across the table. I've never cooked like that, and can't even imagine eating like that everyday of my life.

My husband came home feeling horrible from all the fat. You know they save bacon and sausage drippings and make gravy out of it? ? ? I just cringed and ate my little yogurts.

I may have been a fat chick, but I never ate like that, and couldn't even try.

It is nice to hear that. I too am a fat chick but I hardly ever eat really fattening stuff. I just eat a whole lot of not so fattening stuff. I don't even keep real butter in our house. But I do love me some toast with fat free butter and sugar free jam on it. Problem is, I can polish off a lot of it. Kinda defeats the purpose.

I keep every spice known to man also. I hope crazy, spicy ethnic food won't be a problem after surgery. (grilled or baked of course)

It is nice to hear that. I too am a fat chick but I hardly ever eat really fattening stuff. I just eat a whole lot of not so fattening stuff. I don't even keep real butter in our house. But I do love me some toast with fat free butter and sugar free jam on it. Problem is, I can polish off a lot of it. Kinda defeats the purpose.

I keep every spice known to man also. I hope crazy, spicy ethnic food won't be a problem after surgery. (grilled or baked of course)

Spicy, heavy handed seasoned food does NOT give me any issue.

I eat hot thai, mexican, chines and indian food on a regular basis.

I spend a lot of time in the UK,, just don't eat any black pudding. I found fish cooked many way besides fried, don't care much for the taste of their beef, but the quail is really good. I love the milk over there, it is processed much different than ours, tastes like cream. They don't even worry about it getting warm. As you know they still have home and office delivery. eggs are very good and their bacon is more like ham or Canadian bacon. There is no shortage of great Indian restaurants, might want to watch the hot stuff though. You will be eating so little I don't think I would worry much abou it. I have had some very good food there, especially at some of the pubs in smaller villages.

Looks like I am going to Chile in a couple of weeks and have some concerns. I think I will take Tiffykins advise and pack up some Protein that can be mixed with Water. Food may still be scarce.