Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am one week away from having my surgery and I am getting really anxious. I know that many of you have felt the same way when you were on your way as well. Reading all of your experiences have really helped me to prepare for what is coming ahead but I have to say that this pre-op diet is really hard. I sa and watch my husband eat chinese food last night and it was really hard not to take a bite. I wonder what it will be like after surgery and not to want to have food the way I do now. It's hard to imagine a life any different than what I am currently living where food is such an intricate part of my life. I almost feel as though I will never eat a piece of pizza again..I know that is not true but those are the tricks that my mind is playing on me. I am also having a hard time sleeping just thinking about everything that is coming ahead. Any suggestions on how to help me sleep? I was taking tylenol PM but I am not sure that I should take them one week from surgery. On Dr. Aceves patient info sheet it does state tylenol is ok as needed but not sure about nightly. Anyways, I just needed to say all the things that I am thinking. Thanks for listening :(

I know your fears! I am having my surgery in 10 days! I don't have to do a pre op diet but I am. But he only suggests 5 days on it. This is going to be a whole new change, but one I am ready to embrace! I KNOW this website will help us along our journey. Best of luck to you!

A great thing is that your surgeon is one of if not the best! That should put you at ease right there. Where eating is concerned just know that you won't be eating for a while after surgery because you will need to wean yourself sotospeak back to solid food in due time. After that you will be able to eat any food you want but in small portions. If you really want to shed weight in a permanent way then this is taking a huge step because the change is real. As far as sleeping, go to a natural food or health store and ask for Hylands Calms, or Comfort...it is homeopathic formula and won't affect your upcoming surgery at all. Just follow the instructions on the container. It really works to get you to sleep without any side effects. Best to you.

Congratulations on your upcoming date. I'm 12 days post-op and know it was the best decision I ever made. I almost cry each time I think about how lucky I am that my doctor recommended WLS.

I was very excited about my surgery once I got to that calm place of knowing that I'd be fine and to just relax. I would suggest spending as much time as possible visualizing your life post-op. How you'll look, how much easier you'll move in the world, how great it will be to shop off the rack. Find your happiest place. For me I was walking barefoot down a beach, wearing white linen flood pants, a white linen tank top with a white linen big shirt over it, unbuttoned with the wind blowing back my shirt and ruffling my hair. I had a big smile on my face. I just visualized a very happy me that felt fit and fabulous.

My mantra was "everything always works out for me". I said it over and over and it calmed me when I went to sleep.

Find what works for you. You're going to be just fine!

katldy, you'll be just fine and of course all the emotions and non sleep are pretty typical for most heading to surgery. It's ok to feel those things. As far as sleep goes, I used an over the counter Melatonin. I bought mine at Walmart. It seemed to work really well for me. In the past I have used Tylenol PM because I've always had problems sleeping, but the Melatonin has worked also. Best wishes to you on your journey,

Yay for you! I am so excited to hear from my future sleeve sisters. Keep us posted and know that we are looking forward to hearing all the ups and downs and being a support to you. Best of luck you are in my thoughts.

Anna

Im two weeks out and I feel the same way! I just don't know what to do with myself. I feel like I have ADD. I can't concentrate at all! I am so anxious though. I work on deep breaths and thinking of sexy clothes and all the shopping I will NO LONGER miss out on :-)

So I am one week away from having my surgery and I am getting really anxious. I know that many of you have felt the same way when you were on your way as well. Reading all of your experiences have really helped me to prepare for what is coming ahead but I have to say that this pre-op diet is really hard. I sa and watch my husband eat chinese food last night and it was really hard not to take a bite. I wonder what it will be like after surgery and not to want to have food the way I do now. It's hard to imagine a life any different than what I am currently living where food is such an intricate part of my life. I almost feel as though I will never eat a piece of pizza again..I know that is not true but those are the tricks that my mind is playing on me. I am also having a hard time sleeping just thinking about everything that is coming ahead. Any suggestions on how to help me sleep? I was taking tylenol PM but I am not sure that I should take them one week from surgery. On Dr. Aceves patient info sheet it does state tylenol is ok as needed but not sure about nightly. Anyways, I just needed to say all the things that I am thinking. Thanks for listening :scared0:

Congratulations on your decision to have this surgery. . .i for one can tell you that i hated my sleeve in the beginning. . .it was a REAL bother, you can't eat how you want, you can't drink how you want, it's a pain! But when I was 1 1/2 weeks out and went for a weigh in and saw i had lost 32LBS, well that feeling of hatred went out the door. . . then when I was 7 weeks out and went for a weigh in and saw i lost 53 LBS well then for sure i didn't hate the sleeve anymore. . . i know for a fact i will be wasting money if i go to a buffet, so i don't do that. . . but you will have your cravings, you will want to eat this and that . . . but it will be physically impossible to eat AS much as you used to. . . i went out to eat for the first time yesterday to IHOP. . . i ordered a spinach and mushroom omelet. . i had about 5 bites of it, and was stuffed . . . so guess what i'm having for lunch today and supper???? You guessed it OMELET! So its' not all that bad really, i'm up to drinking my Water again, takes time of course, cause you can physically only drink about 3-4 sips at a time. . . it's a great tool and it does work, but you must get used to it and you must work with it. . . you can't go eating ice cream, milkshakes, chocolate, etc . . you have to diet and exercise. . . if you commit to that you will win the battle. . . good luck and keep us posted!:)

Kat - I know exactly how you are feeling.... my surgery is this Wed 3/3 and I too have been thinking I won't be able to eat this or that. But I told myself that yes I can but not until goal weight and then anything I want -- but only 2-3 bites. After that, I quit stressing. I can do this and you can too because we will both have the tool we need to take 2-3 bites and stop. How empowering! However, I am still losing sleep thinking about the upcoming surgery. Usually I take Melatonin to help me sleep but forget to ask if I could continue up until surgery so I stopped 1 week out. Good luck.

Thank you to all of you for your reassuring words. I know that what I am feeling right now is just a frame of mind. I usually do make the right food choices and I like to exercise as well but I just don't have the time to do it 6 days like I need to, to make it work for me. Ultimately I know this is the tool that I need to make my weight loss successful and consistent. I look forward to what my future will be and I will definitely try the positive affirmation and the visualization Lee. Also thanks for the Melatonin advice. I will give it a try.

Kabranda....Please let us know how your surgery goes and I will be thinking of you in 2 days.