Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning to eat solids (suggestions?)

Some of my "softer" solids have been tuna fish salad, chili (heavy on ground beef and bean), and meatloaf. Tiffycans has a great high Protein meatloaf recipe out here.

I enjoy shrimp, boiled and then with a bit of olive oil fresh crushed and chopped garlic, a little garlic powder, sea salt and pepper, then I squeeze some fresh lemon and sometimes use shrimp cocktail sause as well. I also like filet of sole, Orange Ruffy, I enjoy white fillet boneless fish because it goes down so well and all the above are high in Protein. You can also get cold cuts, thin sliced cheeses and meats, like roast beef, ham or turkey and roll them up with a slice of cheese. I buy cracker barrel cheddar cheese individually wrapped packages and fresh mozzerella. These are some of the foods I can eat. I like fresh baby spinach steemed and broccoli florets. I can't seem to eat fresh fruit yet.

My program says no raw veggies for at least 3 months, but everything else is free-reign.

I stuck with soft solids for quite some time. I enjoy roast made in the crock pot. The meat was so tender, and went down great. I am not a huge fan of seafood so I can't give you good suggestions there. But, anything in the crock pot worked/s well for me. The meat is always extremely tender, and I could cook enough for several meals, and freeze other portions for later.

I'm not sure what you've been eating, but remember food intolerances can still happen. So, don't try a bunch of different stuff in one day. You'll want to be able to identify if anything upsets your sleeve.

Meatloaf with Pork rinds as the binder work well.

I am starting soft foods also. Today I bought: Trader Joe's-Organic Beef Top Sirloin Roast-Fully cooked and seasoned The Protein count is high, no carbs of course and it was SOFT and tender. (I boiled it in the bag for about 6 minutes) It was SO good. I could only eat about 2 oz, my husband ate 6 oz and there is probably about 5 oz left. I ate a piece of cheese about an hour later and that was my dinner. In 3 oz, there are 90 cal, no carbs, 2g fat, and 19g protein. :scared0: My tummy took it well and didn't leave me running to the bathroom afterwards. (that is HUGE for me!)

I am on my 2nd day of soft foods, but am having trouble keeping them down. Cottage cheese, applesauce, pudding, all good. Tonight I had chopped up chicken (moist) and mashed green Beans. About 15 minutes after I ate a very small portion, I threw up the orange drink I had prior to the meal and then right after the food I ate. Could this be because I drank right up to the point of eating but not after?

You may have eaten too much without realizing it. When you are first moving to solids, you need to just eat a few bites and sit with it awhile and see how it's going to get along with your new tummy.

I am on my 2nd day of soft foods, but am having trouble keeping them down. Cottage cheese, applesauce, pudding, all good. Tonight I had chopped up chicken (moist) and mashed green Beans. About 15 minutes after I ate a very small portion, I threw up the orange drink I had prior to the meal and then right after the food I ate. Could this be because I drank right up to the point of eating but not after?

I ate most of the same things you mentioned, but I had to take it very slowly, like Oregondaisy said. Sometimes it took me over an hour to eat 2 oz. I never did vomit but my tummy has gurgled like crazy everytime I try something new. It does sound like you had liquid too close to your meal. There are several guidelines out there but try to stop drinking 30 minutes before and and 30 minutes after to see if that works better for you. Depending on what I am eating, I will have very small sips with my food. Sometimes ya just need it to get the food down :)

I'm 3+ months out now and tummy stills gurgles and grunts whenever i introduce new food. . sometimes it really hates the new food and slimming starts. . . i've really never vomited yet, slimed yes, and during that epiosode the new foods come up in it. . (gross i know) . . . in the beginning it would take me 45 minutes just to eat 4oz of yogurt. . but as time went along i can now sit and eat a decent meal in about 20 - 30 minutes (depending of course) . . . for example last night i had 1 jalapeno sausage link and 1 scrambled egg. . . finished most of it except about 3 pieces of sausage. . then for a bedtime snack - metamucil wafers and tea. . . (yeah I know, I know) so it does all get better. . . but make dang sure you chew the ???? out of your food or your regret it . . .

I have just been cleared to begin eating solids. I have tried Fish (Tilapia) and had a chicken leg today. Any suggestions on things to try?

:crying:

HI!!!!! Well I love (and tummy loves it too) seafood. . lobster is still a bit too tough, but shrimp, crawfish, tuna, scallops, talipia, catfish, maui maui, salmon, anything like that is sooooooooo well excepted by my tummy. . only eat slowly and chew chew chew. . . chicken is good too, just don't eat beef, my doctor told me that it is much too fiberous and could cause pain. . . I haven't strayed far from chicken and fish though. . . I have done turkey and ham as well. . . are eggs agreeing with you yet? I love making a 1 egg omelet with a bit of ham and a cut up jalapeno cheese stick. I make homemade Soups a lot with all types of stuff in it, potatoes, Beans, carrots, onions, celery, ham hock, etc. . . i love it spicy so i do alot of curries, black pepper and habeneros. . . I only have the Beans, carrots, celery and the liquid, not the potatoes. . . I also have melba toast (3 - 4 rounds) sometimes with laughing cow cheese spreadable. I still have my Protein shakes for Breakfast. I go out to eat, but always request a carry out box along with my food cause i know i'll never eat all the food. . . then i'll have food for days! I've done chinese carry out and let me tell i ate chinese for 3 days. . . don't think i want that for a while now!:scared0: Good luck and you'll learn as you go what tummy likes and doesn't like. . . it's definately a learning experience! keep us posted

Edited by thinoneday