Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did It !!!! I did it !!!!!

Well I had the sleeve done - This is the story. Left for Vegas on Tuesday got off the plane and headed for my appointment for Pre-surgery - everything was a go. So my wife and I hit the strip and I played black jack and won.... not much but still won. We ate normal and I did not drink alcohol. Went to bed on time for a 7:00am surgery at a surgery center. We had signed up on one of those package deals where the hotel is included. So we were up and headed to the center (by the way rent a car it is better to have the freedom to go) I went in and filled out some more forms and headed to the prep room. Met the anesthesiologist he went through a few items and the nurses were wonderful. Then I saw my Doctor (Thomas Umbach ) not long after that I was being wheeled to the surgery room. I was give something that made me feel very sleepy but could understand everyone. Then told to breath deeply two breaths and I don?t remember anything except being woke up saying surgery went fine and it is done. This was about 10:30 or so I think. Surgery was about an hour and recovery 2 . I took some pill for pain and they started me walking. It did not hurt to walk so I kept going after hearing everyone on this site telling me how walking really helped. Dr Umbach also installed a pain drip system that hung around my neck and had some small tubes planted around where the surgery took place, with a big ball that would dissipate in 3 days, this provided a pain free experience. I was released at noon to go back to my hotel which I walked and slept and drank Water (very very very small sips) the fist night I had some small discomfort felt like acid reflux so I called the doc on his cell phone which was nice about 10pm and he said I could get some pepto or any over the counter acid reducer I wanted. My wife drove out to get it and also got liquid Tylenol which I recommend very much. I burped a lot and had to raise my arms when drinking water to get it down. The doc said for the first day my stomach would be swollen and until it went down it would be a bit tough. It was, but by the end of the next day it eased up. sleeping and walking is the trick and the Tylenol made everything right as rain. On Friday we went back for a follow up with the doctor, and everything was perfect so we said our good bys and we headed for the Hoover Damn wanted to see it. I even drove ? I don?t feel the surgery hardly at all it is the drinking that lets me know it is there. So we got back from there and got our flight out back to Kansas City ? Because I have traveled so much we both were in first class so that was nice, bigger seats if you know what I mean. This is the first day back home and since the 2 weeks prior with the Protein Shakes to today I am down 27 lbs. I am just starting to feel hungry this whole time prior I have not had a desire to eat. I have force the drinking because I know that is good for me. I hope this helps with those who have not taken the plunge yet. I plan to keep you up to date on the progress. My doctor told me to walk everyday so my wife and I are headed to the gym in a little while, course I will be on slow mo for a while. Thanks for listening and hope it helps someone else.

Congrats on your surgery. Dr. U was my doctor as well - I really liked him!

Keep up the great work!

Yay! Good for you, I'm glad the pain was so manageable. Can't wait to join you.

Anna

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your experience. Congratulations on a great surgery!

Congrats! Sounds like you are off to a great start!

My mistake was not getting enough Protein soon enough and feeling weak, and then taking some back meds that made me sick for a day. Other than that, I am eating almost anything I want - mushed or chewed very well. I had canned beef stew and it was like prime rib! LOL

I also did first class for the flight home. It was a bummer for my first time there cause I missed out on the free drinks and food, but the extra large and comfy seats were so worth it. I decided it the was right time to splurge.

Enjoy your new tummy! I am loving mine!

Thanks for the info...I don't have my surgery date yet....waiting for all paperwork to be submitted to UHC. But I love reading about all the experiences that I'm heading for...(prayerfully)

Congrats! Glad to hear you had a positive experience. Good luck and hope to be joining you soon.

Thanks so much for taking the time to tell about your experience. My surgery is scheduled for this Wed 3/3/2010 and I was beginning to feel a little nervous and reading your experience made me feel much better.

Hope your weight keeps going down and your recovery remains smooth sailing. Keep us posted. Congratulations!!

Congrats and thanks for sharing. Sounds like you are off and running.

Congratulations...and welcome to the loser's bench!!! Your experience sounded much like mine (except for the Hoover Dam thing...I don't know that I would have been up for that!) :thumbup1:

The pain pump Dr. Umbach uses was AWESOME! He was my surgeon as well (Mini-Me and I went there together and were sleeved on Jan 27). He is AWESOME!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Joann