Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two consults booked in next 2 weeks!

Right, having chatted things through with hubby after reading loads of stuff on here and the net I have booked 2 consults, one for March 3rd, and one of the 15th.

I'm also compiling my list of things to ask as I think of them, as I know I'll forget somethings when I'm in there and be totally overwhelmed with it, and prob break down in tears about my weight when asked!!

(But then I guess they are used to that right??!)

I'm looking forward to it, but the cost is an issue, as we will pay, and its a lot of money, so I have tried to offset that against what we would save by my eating habits changing and me not being able to eat as much in house or in restaurants....and also that needs to be countered by the fact I would need a totally new wardrobe!!

Luckily both surgeons are local to me, within one hour car journey, one in Valencia, Dr Ferrer, and one in Alcoy, Dr Baltasar. I feel I might like Dr B more, but have to see both to have a comparison anyway. I did look further afield, but even with lower costs, by the time you add in flights back and forth and check ups etc the costs may well work out the same if not more.

So....I'll keep you informed, exciting times!!

:biggrin0:

That's great that you are meeting with two surgeons. I also went to a consult with two who I thought were both wonderful, but ended up with the second one because he was covered by complication's insurance.

It is a lot of money when you self-pay, but you're right, the food costs help off-set it some. Unfortunately the clothes expense, for me, ate all that right back up and then some:-)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Unfortunately the clothes expense, for me, ate all that right back up and then some:-)

Good luck and keep us posted!

I'll not mention that bit to hubby!!! :biggrin0:

I think that if you calculate the projected medical expenses that you will save from avoiding diabetes, hypertension, etc etc, you will save OODLES more than you spend.

Best of luck to you! Keep us informed on your progress! Congratulations on making your decision for WLS.

Thanks to you all.... I must say having looked at various WLS forums on the web I think this is by far the best and also the most welcoming.... a credit to you all.

Thanks Tiff - I have my long list of questions and will see the first surgeon tomorrow.... so will let you know what I think after chatting to him.

I'm trying to buy new clothes as the seasons change and it is working so far. I figure this is my last winter to wear this wardrobe, so as I have to buy a few things now I am buying a) black pants that are a little snug for work; :thumbup: work shirts that can lead into early summer; c)warm up suit that is a little summery; d) summer clothes that are slightly snug. So far that is working. I don't think I'm spending anymore than normal yet. I realize my weight will be changing so I am purposely not buying clothes to last a lifetime - just what will get me through. Most of my clothes cannot be altered b/c I seem to have lost so much in legs and butt and that is hard to alter. My waist isn't down that much - perhaps there is still swelling there after 3 weeks. My stomach is smaller but my waist band is not the issue which is a shame b/c that is easier to alter.

So it might save some money if you try not to change clothes as much during the clothing season. Also, if it really isn't a good fit, I bring it right back - b/c sometimes in the store I really don't always make the right decision.

My grocery bill is about $25.00 for 2 weeks. . . not to shabby huh? I hate shopping so the clothing isn't a problem. . . as a fat girl I have all sizes in my closet from 4XL to M (have gone from 4XL to 2 - 1XL, depending on cut). . . so I have lots of clothes. . . good luck on your journey, you'll do well. . .

Well..... just got back from my first consult.

It went very well. I was SO nervous, as my weight issues are such an emotional thing for me, but it was ok.

I saw a dietitian first, then a Physcologist, then the surgeon. They were all nice and asked questions about previous dieting and my eating habits.

The surgeon then went thru everything, answering all my questions, and it illustrated to me that all my research had stood me in good stead - there was nothing he told me that was new.

He uses a 32 bougie, and has done 160 VSG. No deaths, and only 3 incidents where further hospitalisation was required. He triple staples with sutures, does a leak test on the table and then 2 more, at 24 and 48 hrs post op.

They do what seems like all the standard pre op tests, bloods, thyroid, ECG, xray, upper digestive tract etc etc.....

I would need to do a 7 day pre op diet if i went with him, and that would depend on further questioning from the dietician to determine exactly what it would entail.

Its a 2 night hospitalisation (I am only one hour from the hospital) if there are no complications.

He reckoned with a current BMI of 35.3 and weighing 93.5kg/206lbs that I would loose 73% of excess weight. Which would take me to about the 68kg/150lb zone.

So.... I now sit tight and wait for consult no 2 with another surgeon for a second opinion and see what he has to say.

And also to talk everything thru with DH, as he went with me... and as it involves him too.

Thanks to you all for your posts on this board, as without this I would have gone in knowing less - I felt prepared having researched it all.

:)