Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Divorce and VSG

My Dr. here in Panam? told me theres a big rate of divorce among WLS women.

What do you think ??

After 23 years , Im thinking of "adios" my hubby.

There are a lot of discussions that surround this topic. There's a couple of different "theories" as to why divorce is high among WLS patients.

1)

I personally think the majority of people, men and women alike, that have been obese/morbidly obese for many years stay in relationships because they fear "being alone" or that no one else will love them so we stay with men/women that don't treat them the best.

Once the WLS journey begins, some gain self-esteem, self-worth, and self-confidence while changing physically, emotionally and mentally they realize that they deserve more. At that point, some people start demanding to be treated with respect, and not tolerating or allowing bad behavior from their spouse.

2) The spouse of a WLS patient may not be able to handle the physical changes. Also, many spouses may feel threatened, and completely insecure due to the WLS patient's new found physical and mental strength. I've heard of a lot infidelity involved with WLS patients, men and women patients. That all stems from years of insecurity, and now neither of them know how to deal with all the changes they are both experiencing.

I honestly can say that my personality has changed very minimally. I was extremely confident, and believed in myself more than anyone else ever believed in me. I knew that I deserved nothing sort of the very best from my partner. When I was younger, I went through a couple of rough relationships and left those even stronger and more determined to demand respect, love, and to be cherished regardless of my pant size. My husband struggled a little early on once I dropped a significant amount of weight. He noticed more and more men noticing me, and we talked it out. We're actually stronger today than we were before my WLS. We don't believe in divorce within our marriage unless one of the 3 A's (abuse, addiction, or adultery) occur and the guilty partner is not willing to seek therapy/rehab.

From your post, it seems as if you are considering divorce with your husband. I'm an advocate of counseling if both parties are willing to work through the issues, but I realize it's not an option or not available to everyone.

With divorce comes a whole lot of problems.

Be sure you are ready for all the issues that will come up.

Try to get some counseling from your church if possible.

The man you are "throwing away" will be a treasure to someone else.

Everyone is replaceable.

But, what you replace with is always going to have issues to deal with.

When a spouse dies the grief counslers advise not to make any drastic changes for one year. Do not sell your house, do not re-marry, etc.

I think that is good advice for WLS patients also.

Do not be idle for that year, get counseling, grow your relationships.

I wish you the best life possible.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches