Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so i told two people today...

okay, TOO FUNNY!! :(

i'm glad i'm not the only person talking about kicking people in the throat and using the C word *lmbo*

Yall are a riot! LOL

I say "CU next Tuesday" when I want to use that word. Try it, you'll like it.:ohmy::wink0:

CU Next Tuesday.... hhahahahaha! I love it!!!

p.s. Next time I get in a fight with a 'c u next tuesday' I will be calling on the double Tiffany team :wink0:

Ironically, I think the people who I really do not want to tell about my surgery, are all overweight. The two friends that I have told are skinny (one has struggled with weight, but works out like a maniac to stay in the great shape she is) And both of them were beyond supportive. One of them ordered a plate for us to share when we went out with friends, so as not to cause any awkwardness. Unfortunately, I think my 'big girl club of friends' may not be as supportive. Not that they are bad people, they are lovely, but the judgment will follow.

Hey Vicky,

Check out my signature and ticker-thingy. I had soooo much fun personalizing it. Hope you are having a great day! Your 'loser' friend! :biggrin0:

Wow..i'm so happy i'm not the only one! I told my bible study group at church last night so I know what you mean about not wanting to tell people. They were the only ones I have mentioned anything to excpet my husband and my parents. My parents are accepting the idea and because insurance isn't covering it, my dad is going to (thanks to God and to Him be the GLORY, God opened the door for me to walk through.) I am afraid for my sister to find out though she is not too accepting of things like that but I know i'm going to have to confess to her sooner or later. I guess a part of me feels embaressed becasue I couldn't do it myself..i've been trying for 10 years! I know it will hopefully pass when I get trough with everything and I know it's going to be worth it. Being able to play with my kids like a normal person is reason enough for me to endure anything even if it is rude comments or mean looks. My family and ME are worth it. Hope everything works out and you feel more comfortable telling people and confiding in them.

My thought is people (alleged friends and family) who don't support your decision are not your friends anyway, so screw 'em, know what I mean? You know who they are. Any so-called friend who isn't supportive of what's best for you doesn't deserve the time of day from you. Your health is more important than maintaining a relationship with jealous people. Amen to that.:001_smile:

I recently told my mother-in-law, my sister, and my mom that I was "considering" it....MIL was very supportive as several people in her family have had gastric bypass, but didn't pass up the chance to tell me how much SHE exercises. Heck, I LIKE to exercise, but I'm sidelined by fibromyalgia....ANOTHER reason I need to lose the weight. Less weight, less pain, more exercise. My perfect little size 2 sister who still says she was SOOO fat in high school at a size 6 just got quiet. My mom was the kicker. She wanted to know how much it would cost. Then she had other ideas about how that money SHOULD be spent.

Here's the thing: I have been overweight most of my life, but only obese for about a year. I have horrific stretch marks on my upper arms and will never be able to wear short sleeves again. My face is literally formless drowning in fat. I always carried my weight with some grace before this but now I'm not and it is SERIOUSLY messing with my head. I can hardly bear to leave the house for fear someone I know from "before" will see me. I'm crying just typing this and I understand that this is something I am going to have to do for myself. I probably shouldn't have told anybody, but, too late now.

Oh honey, stop crying and listen here: YOU ARE DOING THIS FOR YOU! Nobody else. I know you were throwing it out there to see what they'd say, but now you see that other people cannot relate to your pain. Your Mom sounds like mine about how the money SHOULD be spent. I didn't tell my Mom cause she's 86 and not cooking on all cylinders, know what I mean? I also don't see her much so it's a moot point. Your MIL sounds like your supporter, so that's good. The others will see the wisdom in all of it after they see you start to change, both on the inside and the outside. I was heavier than you when I decided to have the sleeve at 246. I'm 5'-7.5" tall with a small frame, so I could get by with all that weight, but God knows it wasn't good for me and I hated how I looked. Now I'm 154, and in a size 4-6 pants, so life is definitely better. Don't tell others until you actually have it, and then they'll see the transformation. It's all good. Stay strong and know your decision is the best for YOU.

Hi all: I haven't gotten my surgery date yet but I plan on telling no one about it except my kids and husband. When I am thin I will tell friends how I did it: by eating very little and exercising which will be the truth. If there was someone that I think would benefit I would tell them about the WLS but too many people just want to give their uneducated two cents and are often upset of people who move along in their lives. Let the medical profession educate the public. We just have to take care of ourselves and not get stressed. I think if we had the support we dream of maybe we wouldn't have gotten so fat to begin with. Now it's up to us to get rid of the "haters" and enjoy life for us. With the hells we have all been through we don't owe any explainations.

LeeLee, I don't think you're paranoid. So many people just don't understand what this surgery is all about. They have probably heard some "juicy" story about a bad surgery, and that's all they know about. I actually got tired of my weight running my life. My husband is an executive and I was always the fatest wife at an event, etc. I told everyone about my surgery. I told my office because I'm very close to my staff and they are very supportive. Also, my boss needed to know why I would be out for a week and a half. I told my family and my two sisters and mom have been quite supportive. My dad on the other hand, doesn't get it since he's very active and a very heathy eater. He didn't think I needed the surgery. BUT he has called me every week to see how I feel.

Bottom line -- I just wanted the whole mess out in the open. One of my bosses told me he thought I was courageous for taking this step.

Jeanine

Me too, my husband is a CEO of a company and I was also the most rotund at gatherings. Not no mo; now I'm rocking the fashions and HIgh heels. You all can do the same!

My husband is an executive and I was always the fatest wife at an event, etc.

Jeanine

Thanks for the support, AJW. I have talked about it with my husband as well, of course, and he was leery at first but he's coming around. He now understands how much safer it is than gastric bypass....he just doesn't want me to die, which is a good thing!

Ugh, THANK you Tiffykins! I have to say, more than having body parts removed or having to change my entire life, I am most afraid of telling my mother because she will kill me. She will see the decision as giving up and putting my life at risk for no reason. Enough said.